Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need help with what to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Need help with what to buy

Im completely new to rc crawling, i just read about it three days ago and im already ready to make a purchase. Ive been wanting an RC car for years but now im finally ready to make a move. All ive ever had is cheap rc cars from toys r us when I was a kid and things like that.

I think ive got my options narrowed down to three cars right now but im definitely open to suggestions. Im trying to keep it $200 or under but I will go a little over 200 if its a really good deal. Been looking around eBay some too but not really sure where the best place is to buy these so suggestions on that would be great too.

Option 1 is the Rockslide RS10 which im kinda leaning towards at this point. Im sure you all have seen this car many times but just for reference.....
http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...-Scale-Crawler

Option 2 is the Exceed Mad Torque.....
http://www.nitrorcx.com/03c09-madtorque-orange.html

Option 3 is the Exceed MaxStone 10.....
http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c872-maxst...een-24ghz.html

Thanks!
Gavin
Gavinlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #2

Default Re: Need help with what to buy

Reviving this thread. (didnt want to make a new one)

I also am looking at a crawler, and those options popped up. (I kinda want to get one of these underdogs and prove people wrong, im that kind of guy)

Gavinit, would love to hear what you got, and how its going.

What do I want a crawler for? - I want to be able to sit on my couch and drive over my kids toys, couch pillows, dive over my kids, drive over rocks outside, up the curb, take it camping and drive over firewood pile, up the river side, just be bop around.

I had a Slick Rock 1/18, but that thing had no flex, and I spent most of my time flipping it over trying to climb, like shoes, or pillows on the ground. It was a great rc, but I need more. (thinking a 1/10 scale)

Advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Floppy_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This thread is ancient, so I doubt the original poster will respond...but here is my .02. Axial SCX10 is a great all around scale crawler, you can pick up a dingo for less than $200 at tower hobbies or buy a star and get something off the classifieds on here. You can likely pick up a used one with some nice upgrades if you are not set on a new one. One advantage to going with something like Axial is the abundance of parts and upgrades, as well as tons of information on here. For the price of a new Redcat or Exceed, you can probably buy a better comp style or scale crawler used if you're looking to stay on a similar budget as Gavinlt.
TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailSnail View Post
This thread is ancient, so I doubt the original poster will respond...
Ha, yeah just figured I better not make a new post, when my basic question already existed. lol..

TrailSnail-- thanks for the .02!! Appreciate the input!

So others I have seen that I would like are:
Venom Creeper
Bully 2.2
But cant find RTR, ARTR, or kits anywhere.

I have a bit more to spend than Gavinit did. I dont want to waste on cheap crap, but dont want to waste time piecing a bunch together. But if I luck out and can make, say the Exceede awesome, I would love to do that.
Guy on Youtube got the Maxstone, and did basic cheap mods to make it awesome. hmmm

Anyone else? And thanks again!! YOU ROCK
Floppy_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Honestly the reason why there isn't allot of support and people jumping on the red cat and exceed band wagon is cuz they are cheap with cheap mods that you gotta keep hopping upover and over, if it's doable I'd say get something axial,just for parts and RELIABILITY . To go knew yes its a big step 350 plus a battery and charger is allot but it's also allot for your money.... more people will tell you to go this rout than the other. But get what you can and enjoy

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

and if I am not mistaken the 2.2 bully is also a kit version and will not come with electronics and it is also a MOA (motor on axle) rig so it takes one motor on each axle to run as well admire other electronics or quite a bit more expensive ESCs that will run the motors. so you need to figure that price in as well and that can get quite expensive quick.
I was in the same boat not long ago looking for my first crawler. I ended up going with a wraith kit. the kits are nice as you get some upgraded parts such as better tires and links and a few other odds and ends. but te kits also are minus electronics so figure that in also. but they also allow you to get your choice of motors ESCs transmitters and radios
I bought a star and almost every piece of electronics aside from the BEC I used was bought from the classifieds here for quite a bit less money than new you just have to have an idea on what is good equipment and that just comes from reading here.
the RTR versions are ok on most rigs such as axial wraith, scx10s but the motors and servos will go out fairly quick and you will have to replace them anyways. for me it's kits and put what I want in it
champ198 is offline   Reply With Quote