Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: RTR scx10 steering rubbing issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RTR scx10 steering rubbing issue?

Forgive me if my terminology is incorrect but I believe my issue is the steering arm rubbing on the frame cross member. Noted where indicated with the top arrow. As you can see the suspension isn't even fully compressed but it has come into contact. My ignorance may be getting the best of me but is this not incorrect? The knuckle there will pop behind the crossmember and allow the suspension full compression but it rubs considerably to do so and flexes the arm a bit. Quick fix?

fatsachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
In the band for now.

Default Re: RTR scx10 steering rubbing issue?

take a dremel tool and just grind off a little of the cross member and your good to go.

I 've done that to almost all my axial rigs, never had a problem.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
take a dremel tool and just grind off a little of the cross member and your good to go.

I 've done that to almost all my axial rigs, never had a problem.
That was my initial thought as well but I thought perhaps something was incorrectly installed. Seeing as it must be a common occurrence axial should adjust the clearance issue. Maybe I'll drop them a line about it with a few pics and the note that it's not an uncommon flaw. They seem like a great company and may appreciate the info. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

While I'm on steering issues I may as well kill two birds. I've seen a noticeable bit of camber and slop with the stock setup in the front end, is this something I could clear up with just aluminum linkages? Any brand recommendations? I noticed a lot of no name ones on Ebay like these...

Cappu Aluminum Steering Block Linkage Gun Metal SCX22109 Fits Axial SCX10 | eBay
Aluminum Steering Linkage Rod Link Set for Axial Racing AX10 SCX10 | eBay

I'm ready to start upgrading parts here and there and would like to start off with the sloppy steering.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Upgrading the steer links,C's in general help alot
JK Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsachs View Post
I've seen a noticeable bit of camber and slop with the stock setup in the front end, is this something I could clear up with just aluminum linkages? Any brand recommendations?
I think my CUCV has the stock Axial steering upgrade linkage (aluminum). JUNKFOOT and the Poison Dart both have steel tubing over threaded rod. JUNKFOOT's is just nice and straight, and the one on the Poison Dart, I bent some offsets into them to clear the diff bulge in the front axle.

As far as clearing the front crossmember, I was making my own upper and lower links for the CUCV anyway, to get my wheelbase short enough to fit the Blazer body, so I just made the uppers a tad shorter and that rocked the front axle back 'just enough' to clear.
Suppose you could also put a longer arm on the servo and set your EPAs since the longer arm wouldn't need to (or be able to) travel to nearly as extreme of an angle to pull your linkage as far as it needs to go.
Seen more than one person on here go at it with the Dremel and remove large chunks of the thing, too.
But the most popular fix by far is to just take out the crossmember.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I went ahead and recessed a mm or so into the crossmember the length of steering travel needed, it didn't take much. There isn't room to slide a piece of paper between the crossmember and linkage when they meet up but they clear without any rubbing resistance now. We're good to go! I'll get this RTR respectable in time.

RTR scx10 steering rubbing issue? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering links rubbing HELP! boots Newbie General 5 08-17-2012 12:34 PM
LF Tire rubbing steering Servo dadgummit Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 17 06-29-2011 12:07 PM
Shaft rubbing issue zjguy721 Newbie General 5 04-11-2010 01:18 AM
scx10 steering issue saturnsl89 Axial SCX-10 3 06-22-2009 04:14 PM
Rubbing issue with Junfac links GraTou Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 12-14-2006 06:26 PM