Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Waterproof, forward/Reverse Speedo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #1

Default Waterproof, forward/Reverse Speedo

I've noticed people look for a speedcontrol that is waterproof and goes straight into reverse instead of a delay. I put this speedo in my crawler because I didn't have much of a choice, but it turns out to work really well, its made for boats but serves our purpose very well

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB2314

Its a Pro Boat Speedcontrol operates from 4.8-12v
Groffball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groffball
I've noticed people look for a speedcontrol that is waterproof and goes straight into reverse instead of a delay. I put this speedo in my crawler because I didn't have much of a choice, but it turns out to work really well, its made for boats but serves our purpose very well

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB2314

Its a Pro Boat Speedcontrol operates from 4.8-12v
The only problem I see with it is the BEC rating is 1amp. So high torque servos or multiple servos would give you trouble.
jwrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #3

Dual servos are a problem I had a rear steer servo in my Goliath with it and it labored, but was fine with a single servo of course this is for a 2.2 crawler. Am I missing something that this was moved to the Newbie section?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I use that same speed control in my crawler with a hitec ultra torque servo and it doesn't have a problem with a single servo but dual it has problems. Either way I recomend using a reciver pack but you don't have to.
need some carbon fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Not to shoot this ESC down, it still is a nice alternative. It prolly is a good ESC, especially to be waterproof, BUT for the money you could get the 10th scale Moped and just seal it in a plastic box.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrape
Not to shoot this ESC down, it still is a nice alternative. It prolly is a good ESC, especially to be waterproof, BUT for the money you could get the 10th scale Moped and just seal it in a plastic box.
Only reason I'm using it is because I can't seem to locate my LRP Quantum Reverse and it was in my boat I havn't used in ages so it fit the bill I agree with you on the BEC thing but for a single servo its ok.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Only reason I'm using it is because I can't seem to locate my LRP Quantum Reverse and it was in my boat I havn't used in ages so it fit the bill I agree with you on the BEC thing but for a single servo its ok.
Yea, like I said, not trying to shoot it down. Still a good alternative.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i just bought it...waitin by the mailbox.
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedB2
i just bought it...waitin by the mailbox.
WOW! Impulse shopper are we?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

As far as price the moped may be an alternative
But
he did say that this ESC has no reverse delay
that is my MAJOR problem with the moped
I run the moped and I really like it, except for the reverse delay - it seems really long
Its to the point that im going to tap the 5th cell, or run a receiver pack for the servos, and find another ESC
Also the moped seems kinda quircky to me - it will only go reverse for so long ( like 5-10 sec.) then I HAVE to go forward or I get no movement at all.
Maybe its just me - I dont know
redrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:06 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default waterproof esc

i use an M-Troniks eco. Its tatallyt waterproof, built for cars but does have a delay going into reverse. Its a good esc though
Nitro_Geezer_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrape
WOW! Impulse shopper are we?

HA...i had already ordered it when i came accross this thread. it came in today. i went down the basement, soldered in the new esc, bolted in the motor, set it on the floor, programmed the esc, then.....remembered i dont have drive shafts yet! dammit. in all the excitement i forgot. anyway...i was hoping to have a report on how they esc worked tonite.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:49 AM   #13

Finally got mine finished last night and there is one major issue with this speedo... The reverse is pretty weak.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

So, what is the verdict on this ESC for a general crawler speedo? What about the 40 amp max continous current versus the mopeds 1200 amp? Is it a huge, non-overcomable difference?
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #15

For a single motor crawler I don't think the 40amp thing is an issue but the weak reverse is. But mine is pretty weak in foward right now too so hopefully one of the other guys can chime in.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
For a single motor crawler I don't think the 40amp thing is an issue but the weak reverse is. But mine is pretty weak in foward right now too so hopefully one of the other guys can chime in.
Something else must be wrong, because the EVX and my new XRS is only rated to 40 amps and I have no problems whatsoever - run the XRS in both a 17" Clod Pimp Cane and my 2.2 Pimp Slap. I am, however, running 55t Lathes small pinions.

As for the BEC, Novak Nitro Servo Saver. $20 at tower and sends 6v @3 amps to the receiver. Ran it hard at a Comp this past weekend, never a problem for my digital/analog dual steer or single servo. It's not waterproof though.

Just a few questions - what kind of motor(s) are you using, are your batteries fully charged, and are you sure you have it wired properly? Let us know because this could be a real gem of an ESC for a trail truck.
HannibalLecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:37 AM   #17

I'm having no issues with it aside from the weak reverse thing, but I was running a 65t lathe motor that was gutless to say the least, so I bumped up to an 11.1 Lipo and the reverse now has just enough to get me out of most sticks, and foward actually has some torque now so I think it will be ok with a proper motor setup just won't have as much guts in reverse as foward. It is nice it will handle up to 12v it does get a bit warm but works fine.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

12 volts you say? i have a nylint battery around here somewhere!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

so whats the general consensus on this ESC? i want one, but not if i cant run 12 volts on it safely (going in my budget HG nylint build, dont want to build a new battery for it)
DougGass87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #20

I'm running an 11.1v lipo with mine and having not major issues everyonce and a while when I get bound up it will shut down but I'm thinking thats more of an issue with the BEC than anything so I plan on running a receiver pack.