RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   lipo discharge rate (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/476467-lipo-discharge-rate.html)

farmbasher 01-03-2014 07:49 AM

lipo discharge rate

I recently got a rtr deadbolt. I want to run the stock esc with cc bec and hh trailmaster 27t(already ordered). On 3s lipo. My question is what discharge rate battery should I get? Also changing to ec5 connectors.

Charlie-III 01-03-2014 02:37 PM

Re: lipo discharge rate

Sorta depends on the mah/capacity of the pack. Discharge rate (amps) is a function of "C" rating & mah.
Small packs (low mah) need a high "C" to give good performance.
Larger packs (high mah) can get away with a lower "C" to gve good performance.

If you're running ~2000mah+ packs for a brushed motor, you can likely get away with a 25-30C pack, higher C can add a bit more punch, but may not be really noticeable.

Note: Some brushless motors tend to gobble up amps, thus usually need higher C or mah to perform well under load.

I would NOT spend a ton of money on a "100C" pack of any size/mah.

CypressCrawler 01-03-2014 02:40 PM

Note sure on the C rating that would be the best, but I can tell you what I'm running. I have a 5000mAh (maybe 5200mAh) 50c 2S lipo from SPC Racing and love it. I easily run this thing for over an hour and have never run it all the way down yet. I actually plan on running it this weekend until the lipo cutoff shuts her down. Not sure if this answers your question, but I hope it helps.

farmbasher 01-03-2014 05:29 PM

That does help thanks. Actually feel a little silly for asking. I had some time today(I am a grape grower and it was single digits today) so I browsed the forum and learned a lot. Thanks again.

k7zpj 01-03-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmbasher (Post 4612358)
That does help thanks. Actually feel a little silly for asking. I had some time today(I am a grape grower and it was single digits today) so I browsed the forum and learned a lot. Thanks again.

Here is a link to a good write up on Lipo batteries. It takes some time to read but will fill in some of the gaps.
Understanding RC LiPo Batteries

Charlie-III 01-04-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmbasher (Post 4612358)

This is the newbie section, no need to feel silly, nor worry about getting flamed.8)"thumbsup""thumbsup"

I never dealt with LiPO until I got into crawlers, so I had questions back then as well.

Johnnysplits 01-04-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmbasher (Post 4611633)
I recently got a rtr deadbolt. I want to run the stock esc with cc bec and hh trailmaster 27t(already ordered). On 3s lipo. My question is what discharge rate battery should I get? Also changing to ec5 connectors.

At least 30C up to 50C...more than that is a waste. Get EC3 connectors...not EC5!! EC5's are for 6s.