RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Rebirth for RC (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/476472-rebirth-rc.html)

old raft guide 01-03-2014 08:40 AM

Rebirth for RC

Hello

I just joined your group and hope all will be helpful. I used to be involved in Rc cars about 25 years ago, it turns out I enjoyed building/innovation/fabrication more than racing and driving. I just couldn't adjust to how fast these cars can go. We didn't have video games back then to sharpen the hand/eye reflexes. My grandsons have been driving Rc stuff since they were toddlers (as well as video games). My middle grandson is a pretty good driver but goes through expensive toy cars quickly, his closet resembles a auto grave yard. I bought him a real Rc car for Christmas and during my research for a good kit to build I discovered crawling!!!

I want to get back into Rc but now I am retired and on a some what fixed budget. My research has led me to several of the lower cost RTR crawlers. I especially like the Exceed Mad Torque or Red Cat Rockslide, I have learned they both have several short-comings but it seems with minor modifications they could do OK. I'm not looking to compete, just have some serious fun.

The thing I am most unsure about is where to make my purchase. I seems the Exceed brand is only available at one place, their web-site is fantastic; full of great information and advice, but their reputation for customer service seems to be in the toilet and has made me want to look else where.

Has anyone had any good experience dealing with the Exceed vendor? Their name keeps popping up everywhere on the web. Can you or are you allowed to make any recommendations for crawler and where a good place is to purchase it? My birthday is in Feb. so it will a nice gift. I hope I wasn't to windy, I,just like to get a clear point across, I hope there is a lot of input. Thanks, DaveD

johnnyh66 01-03-2014 09:02 AM

Re: Rebirth for RC

Hi David, welcome to RCC.
The biggest problem that you will run into with the Exceed is the lack of aftermarket support.

There are a couple of vendors on here that deal in RedCat parts so that may be a better option... that way your purchase doesn't end up in your grandson's grave yard!

When I first discovered crawling, I also wanted to get a RedCat or Exceed but a friend talked me into an Axial and I am sooo glad he did!
I bought a used Dingo kit that was missing a few things for $100 and I'm still running it 3 years latter. (not that much of that original kit is left.)

But, that taught me what it took to build one of these and I've pieced them together ever since.
I buy used (often upgraded) components from the RCC classifieds and end up with a better and cheaper than stock truck... so that's something to think about.

Hoosierdady 01-03-2014 10:40 AM

Great advice here "thumbsup"

Welcome to the hobby/addiction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyh66 (Post 4611703)
Hi David, welcome to RCC.
The biggest problem that you will run into with the Exceed is the lack of aftermarket support.

There are a couple of vendors on here that deal in RedCat parts so that may be a better option... that way your purchase doesn't end up in your grandson's grave yard!

When I first discovered crawling, I also wanted to get a RedCat or Exceed but a friend talked me into an Axial and I am sooo glad he did!
I bought a used Dingo kit that was missing a few things for $100 and I'm still running it 3 years latter. (not that much of that original kit is left.)

But, that taught me what it took to build one of these and I've pieced them together ever since.
I buy used (often upgraded) components from the RCC classifieds and end up with a better and cheaper than stock truck... so that's something to think about.

Pdog7 01-03-2014 11:26 AM

RPP hobby is one of the best vendors I've dealt with."thumbsup" They also have a good selection of Scale Crawlers.

Check out the Losi Night Crawler RTR. It has a good bit of aftermarket support.
Losi Night Crawler RTR

The Axial deadbolt is another good RTR crawler with good aftermarket support.
AX10™ Deadbolt 1/10 Scale Electric 4WD - RTR

CypressCrawler 01-03-2014 02:02 PM

Welcome Dave!!! I too just recently (within the last two weeks) got into the crawler/scaler side of the hobby. I picked up a Axial Deadbolt and love the thing!! I'm completely hooked, I never thought going so slow could be so much fun. I got mine from Towerhobbies for just south of $300 shipped to my door. I would HIGHLY recommend this rig or any of the Axial products!!

I've come to find that all the Axial rigs are built in a certain platform classification (for lack of better words currently). The deadbolt is based on their AX10 platform and there are plenty of aftermarket parts and stock parts. I have no experience with either of the listed above, however I do have a Redcat Sumo which is a 1/24th scale truggy like thing. Its held up pretty good and that's with my two year old smashing it, throwing it, running it around like a hot wheel along with other abuse.

lemonhead 01-03-2014 06:33 PM

speaking from experience their CS blows. and parts are never is stock, and you will be on hold for a minimum of 25min or more. As for aftermarket parts, unless your good at modifying, that's another problem

Save up a few more bucks and get something a little better, Axial is a good choice. Now for the REDCAT , not a bad rig with a little work . I drove my for a year and never really broke down, but still not a ton of after market goodies and also a so so rig but the better of the 2 .

good luck"thumbsup"

stelerzman 01-04-2014 10:23 AM

Welcome Dave. It sounds like your looking for reliability in a rig. Something that you can always depend on when it's time to go. Sounds about right? AXIAL=fun.
Of course they all need love and attention, but that the minimal part of the hobby. Save your self alot of down time and headaches and buy something that will bring joy and happiness instead of anger and regret. Trust me, "been there done that". "thumbsup"

Good luck Dave, keep us posted on what you decided to buy and also your thoughts on it."thumbsup"

KJ10 01-04-2014 10:39 AM

Another vote for Axial, here. I've watched my friends try most of the others. They've all given up and gone to Axial, eventually.

old raft guide 01-04-2014 10:56 AM

Thanks everyone it all sound like great advice, I guess it time to do a little more research....DaveD