Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: help help speed controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #1

Default help help speed controller

Hi i need a speed controller for my axial scx10 what is a good one but not so expensive. M goint to compete in the g6 and dont know what i need as an speed controlller
rambosx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: help help speed controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambosx10 View Post
Hi i need a speed controller for my axial scx10 what is a good one but not so expensive. M goint to compete in the g6 and dont know what i need as an speed controlller
Okay here are my suggestions if your on a budget:
Before I get into it, this is an expensive hobby obviously and sometime you just have to dig into your pockets to get what you need, just saying.
- axial ae-2 brushed esc (new) for around $55.00
There great for standard applications and can be completely waterproof.

- tekin fx-r (used) for around $100 or so
These are a bit more but they are one of the best esc out there for crawling and trailing. You can program them with tekins hotwire, etc.

- Traxxas XL-5 for around $30-50 (depending on the seller)
This a great waterproof esc that can be programmed for a 2s and it is cheap to afford. One downside to this esc is that it has no drag brake.

- Castle sidewinder 2 $40-65 (depending on the seller and bids)
This a great esc from what I hear but I've never used one so I can't tell you for sure of how good they are.

- axial ax-1 esc $20-40 (depending again)
This is an extremely simple esc, forward and backward, thats about it. These where put in axial vehicles back in the day but there really not good in my opinion.

So there you have mostly brushed esc, you can't just ask the question "what is a good esc?" There are mainly two different types, brushless or brushed. There are many different brushless esc's that are good but there expensive and like I said before if you want to play, you gotta pay!! Your best bet is to save for a used tekin fx-r or sidewinder 2 and go from there but it also depends on what motor your going to run. Hope this helped, - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have also been looking for a cheap ESC with drag brake and think there might be some out there and think I found one but the Chinglish is so bad I can't be sure. I'm just going to get an AE-2.

I was thinking of trying this one out. Has "climbing" mode. For $12 it's cheap enough to try. But how to program it, those instructions are horrible. Just not worth the trouble...
340A Brushed ESC Electronic Speed Controller for 1/10 R/C Car - US$12.68
shahram72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For an inexpensive but good esc with drag brake. I would go with the AE-2 or the Sidewinder. Both are made by Castle Creations and are programmable by Castle link.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #5

Thanks everybody for ur imput
rambosx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I have also been looking for a cheap ESC with drag brake and think there might be some out there and think I found one but the Chinglish is so bad I can't be sure. I'm just going to get an AE-2.

I was thinking of trying this one out. Has "climbing" mode. For $12 it's cheap enough to try. But how to program it, those instructions are horrible. Just not worth the trouble...
340A Brushed ESC Electronic Speed Controller for 1/10 R/C Car - US$12.68
Wtf does this even mean? Almost seems like it programs by the song from Sound Of Music. Doe a dear a female dear.
Note:1) how to determine the* protection settings: Turn on the power transfer switch, the motor first* issue a "DO" sound, issued after the midpoint of the SI, and LA, SO* "sound or SO,, LA, SI" sound learning, is not protected; open ESC* switches, motor first issue a "DO, DO" twice, issued after the "SI, LA,* SO" sound or SO,, LA, SI "sound, Learning midpoint, for protection.2) how to determine the mode settings: turn on the power switch, the* motor first issue "DO" sound or "DO, DO" twice, after the issuance of a* "SI, LA, SO" sound learning midpoint, LED lights flicker as a practice* mode; open power switch, the motor first issue "DO" sound or "DO, DO"* twice, issued after the midpoint of the "SO, LA, SI" sound learning, LED* lights direct light for climbing mode.3) When ESC is set to lithium-low-voltage protection status, lithium* battery voltage as low as 5.6V or temperature higher than 90 degrees,* the ESC automatically stop working; When the voltage Start work* recovered to 6.5V or the temperature is below 90 degrees.

And apparently the motor issues a do do twice. I don't think I want that

Last edited by slim_chance; 03-20-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

If you go sidewinder 3 you get drag break for brushed, and waterproof all in one package.

Might be worth the couple extra bucks more.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
Wtf does this even mean? Almost seems like it programs by the song from Sound Of Music. Doe a dear a female dear.
Note:1) how to determine the* protection settings: Turn on the power transfer switch, the motor first* issue a "DO" sound, issued after the midpoint of the SI, and LA, SO* "sound or SO,, LA, SI" sound learning, is not protected; open ESC* switches, motor first issue a "DO, DO" twice, issued after the "SI, LA,* SO" sound or SO,, LA, SI "sound, Learning midpoint, for protection.2) how to determine the mode settings: turn on the power switch, the* motor first issue "DO" sound or "DO, DO" twice, after the issuance of a* "SI, LA, SO" sound learning midpoint, LED lights flicker as a practice* mode; open power switch, the motor first issue "DO" sound or "DO, DO"* twice, issued after the midpoint of the "SO, LA, SI" sound learning, LED* lights direct light for climbing mode.3) When ESC is set to lithium-low-voltage protection status, lithium* battery voltage as low as 5.6V or temperature higher than 90 degrees,* the ESC automatically stop working; When the voltage Start work* recovered to 6.5V or the temperature is below 90 degrees.

And apparently the motor issues a do do twice. I don't think I want that

Dude this is F*^+ing hilarious I almost pissed my pants after reading this LMFAO!!!!!

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgh117 View Post
If you go sidewinder 3 you get drag break for brushed, and waterproof all in one package.

Might be worth the couple extra bucks more.
Agreed, I ran a sidewinder with a tekin brushed motor in my scx10, with a savox waterproof servo I loved it!!! If you plan on running on water a lot go to the auto parts store and buy some water proof grease and grease all your bearings or they will rust up on a heartbeat...trust me lol
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #10

Im running a moped v16r in my scx10. It's pretty no frills, forward/reverse brushed esc. There's no drag brake on it, but it works fine for trailing which is pretty much all I do anyway. On the plus side, it's tiny, only about the size of a quarter. It was $26 shipped iirc.
lodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
RCC Addict

the AE-2 is based off the Sidewinder so you cant go wrong either way. Advantage of the Sidewinder, waterproof if you get the version3 AND you can run a brushless motor (sensorless, but still you have that option)
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcivic95 View Post
Dude this is F*^+ing hilarious I almost pissed my pants after reading this LMFAO!!!!!

--Dan
At least you didn't issue a DO DO
Old 03-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

RPP Hobby has the AE-2s in their Salvage Yard (love that place) for $35 new (exc. shipping).
Also, I'd consider the CC Sidewinder 3. For $70 new, it's a bit pricey but it is stock waterproof, so you do have a waterproof ESC with a guarantee.
Also, don't forget Novak. They're expensive new, but there are some pretty cheap second hand ones out there.
They're also water resistant (NO, not waterproof) although some people run them stock underwater and they're fine.
If you look for Novak, Look for, Rooster, Crusher, Timbuk2 and The Goat.
Another good ESC brand is Duratrax. Many people forget about them but they work well.
Any Duratrax ESC is pretty good. There's one, I think the Sprint 2 claims to be waterproof and it is, but it'll only give you half throttle speed.
I had that problem with my old Duratrax Baja Bug. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UIPrTg5q14 Look at this video from 5:20 to 6:30 as Jang tests the ESCs waterproofness.
Remember, on any ESC you buy that is waterproof, and has an On/Off switch and you run in water, the switch will rust and the ESC will stop working.
To stop that from happening, cut the cables from the ESC to the switch. Then strip a short bit of heatshrink of the wire and twist the wire.
Then, as soon as the battery is plugged in, your ESC is on
TrilloThrillo110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #14

For around $140 +$10 for waterproofing you can get a Holmes Hobbies BRXL and a Expert 35 t motor, This speedcontrol is awsome! 2s-6s input no motor limit, drag brake and many more options! Go to Holmes Hobbies.com
kelkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Great thread I am looking for something like this to help me make my decision. I might just hold off on the cheap stuff and try to get either the tekin fxr 35t or that HH stuff.
How do you program the Holmes ESC?
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:06 AM   #16
RCC Addict

The Axial AE2 is a great ESC..Like mentioned it is made by Castle Creations however Axial skimped a bit to save money...The internal BEC is pretty weak and doesn't even supply 6 volts to a servo..The older servos were measured at max power at 6v...meaning if you bought a servo that advertised 100oz inches of torque at 6v you wont get that maximum power it can deliver...However not all is that bad..For 12 dollars you can purchase an external BEC which will give you the added power to gain max power from most servos. and even add alittle more power if wanted to make it stronger...You also can use a 3s battery with the external BEC on the AE2 ESC...So in all its a great ESC with an external BEC added to it...Without an external BEC you are limited to a 2s battery but that's enough for most anyway...Even if just using a 2s the external BEC is an added benefit for the servo or if you want to use a winch or add a bunch of lights to your rig...The AE2 is also programmable using the castle link programmer.

The Holmes Hobbies BRXL ESC which I also own is essentially the same as the stock esc but has a stronger 6v internal BEC to supply power to your servo...However is more costly than a stock ESC with an external BEC added...There are added benefits to the BRXL but you wont use them really..i don't see you using a 6s battery as it can handle..lol.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 04-13-2014 at 04:14 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote

help help speed controller - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
speed controller fej68 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 10-16-2011 08:23 PM
Which speed controller? 53HRA Newbie General 3 08-16-2009 04:46 PM
speed controller help please zigzag Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 12-23-2008 10:30 PM
Speed Controller juan916 Electronics 2 03-28-2007 03:23 PM