Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Noob here - Got a kit on the way.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Default Noob here - Got a kit on the way.

Well, I've got the bug. Two close friends of mine (one by default and the other because his wife is best friends with my girlfriend ) have had crawlers they've been playing with for a while now and they've been trying to convince me. Well, Saturday while messing around with one of their rigs I caught the bug and promptly went inside, did some speedy research, and ordered the SCX10 rubicon kit. They both have SCX10's with one also having the same rubicon kit. I have a couple of other purchases I'll obviously have to make and was looking at some ESCs and Motors to start out with. The one buddy also has a wraith that he offered to let me use as I'm going to have to build the kit and buy the other parts I need over the next couple of weeks.

So, noob questions - Any suggestions on the other things I need like the electronics and radio? I was looking at a Holmes motor and ESC combo, but may have to go with something cheaper to start out with. I also want to add a winch as we were talking about setting up competition courses and there's already a group not too far from us that does scale competitions.

I think what happened was that I was really missing my Wrangler unlimited that I had to let go of after being laid off last year and wanted something to fill that void. I did start back to school and hopefully by the time I graduate and have a secure job, me and the girlfriend will be able to afford the diesel Wrangler they're supposed to be coming out with for 2016.
VI™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Noob here - Got a kit on the way.

I would save up and buy quality electronics. Take your time building the kit and in the process research to figure out what you really want in an end product for you jeep. Speed controller and servo are something you want to buy right the first time or you will never be satisfied.
pigblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Search, and buy better parts than the others so your rig is the last one standing at the end of the day.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Here is a list of a few things I personally feel are needed to build a nice rig - not the expensive parts, but parts I think most would agree are needed.

Aluminum servo horn (you will strip the stock plastic ASAP)
Set of beadlock wheels (optional but a must if you're going to weight the wheels)
Axial wheel weights and weight rings or stick on wheel weights for the front tires to start with
Servo should be over 200 ounces of torque but for the SCX10, you wont need much more until you start comping, then, there is no such thing as too much torque - you will need a BEC
Extertan BEC (castle creations 10 amp is the standard) to power the servo,
Quality rebuildable 27 or 35 turn motor (Brood and Holmes Hobbies have machine wound motors that will be just fine)
ESC, I run the stock Axial AE-2 ESC in all my rigs it works great. For the money, I dont think you can beat this ESC...options for brushed motor - Castle sidewinder V3(you can run brushless motors with this ESC)
Make sure you get a 3 channel radio so you can operate the winch you want to add...the channel 3 switch needs to have a "True 3 position" switch for winch operations ....on/off/on

Others will list "bulletproof" options, but only if you're going to run brushless power....I'm trying to keep it economical...but then again, there is no such thing when you want a rig that will perform with the local competitive guys.....LOL

CONGRATS and welcome to the addiction!!!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #5

From my reads, I think brushed is the way to go. Where I live, we have plenty of water.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

solar d772 pick this up for 20$ its a crazy steal
Solar Servo D772 High Voltage 0.17sec@7.4v 64g Digital Metal Gear

an as for cheap stuff skip it just do it right the first time around hit

rpphobby.com
rc4wd.com

also spend 20$ to get in the for sale and wanted threads ull save a ton of money

Last edited by Ohioskills; 04-07-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:41 AM   #7

I'll check that out.

We fortunately have some hobby stores around here, a mixture of indie and chains, so I'm going to go look Saturday. My kit is coming Thursday, but I probably won't even have a chance to open it until Saturday morning.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Proverbial threadkiller

I've got a Poison Dart sitting dead with a busted output, so of course I'm going to recommend a Robinson p/n: 1542 right off the bat.

For electronics,
CC BEC absolutely.
I've had good luck with the AE-2 and CC Sidewinder Micro ESCs.
Or pick up a BRXL Mini from Holmes Hobbies, ya know, while you're there snagging one of his brushless servos anyway.
And since you're going to giving them all your money anyway, might as well see what they have for motors for ya. I feel handwounds are smoother, and I'll put up the extra dough for them. For slogging through mud and water, you might be just as well with a cheaper machine wound. JUNKFOOT's set up right now at 30 turns, 16/87 gears (48 pitch), and runs on 3S. That should be close to what you need.

Your call on hooking up the BEC, I've done both the receiver bypass and the pulling the red on the ESC and running the BEC into the receiver. Both work.

And leave a couple bucks in the budget for a CastleLink. You'll need that for adjusting voltage on the CC BEC, also for programming any of Castle's ESCs (Sidewinder Micro), also works on the AE-2, and also is used on the Holmes BRXL line of speed controls.

Up! Ran outta time, gotta go to work. See ya.
Let us know what you're thinking of getting.
(even if it's just a second job...... or a sugar mama, whichever)
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #9

It's here!

I've been wrenching on my bike to get it finished for this weekend. It's supposed to be nice out Saturday so I can ride down to the hobby shoops then start putting it together.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #10

I just started putting it together and I'm having issues already. First, the shafts coming out of the differential are a little short. I can't insert them in to the diff then put the housing together. The bearings won't clear. In order to do this, I have to install the diff and then put the shafts in. Will they stay in like this? Next: How much grease should be on the bevel gear? I have it turning smoothly...until I put the other side of the diff cover on and bolt it together. At that point, it won't turn at all. WTF?

So, can someone help me out?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
Here is a list of a few things I personally feel are needed to build a nice rig - not the expensive parts, but parts I think most would agree are needed.

Aluminum servo horn (you will strip the stock plastic ASAP)
Set of beadlock wheels (optional but a must if you're going to weight the wheels)....
....Servo should be over 200 ounces of torque but for the SCX10, you wont need much more until you start comping, then, there is no such thing as too much torque - you will need a BEC
Extertan BEC (castle creations 10 amp is the standard) to power the servo,
Quality rebuildable 27 or 35 turn motor (Brood and Holmes Hobbies have machine wound motors that will be just fine)
ESC, I run the stock Axial AE-2 ESC in all my rigs it works great. For the money, I dont think you can beat this ESC...options for brushed motor - Castle sidewinder V3(you can run brushless motors with this ESC)
Make sure you get a 3 channel radio so you can operate the winch you want to add...the channel 3 switch needs to have a "True 3 position" switch for winch operations ....on/off/on

Others will list "bulletproof" options, but only if you're going to run brushless power....I'm trying to keep it economical...but then again, there is no such thing when you want a rig that will perform with the local competitive guys.....LOL

CONGRATS and welcome to the addiction!!!
I would add RC4WD steel beadlocks are great scale wheels at great price and you won't need weights with them, they are perfect weight as is, these are white but easy to paint: RC4WD 6 Lug Wagon 2.2 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (White) (4)

Traxxas Titan 21T motor is great torque and rpm motor for cheap and mine's been going for couple years of hard 3s lipo use: Clockwise for stock setup: TowerHobbies.com | Traxxas Titan 550 Motor 21T E-Maxx

CCW (reverse) rotation if you do tranny flip: TowerHobbies.com | Traxxas Titan 550 Reverse Rotation Motor

Good decision going back to school now while you're laid off (been there done that)....do it, COMPLETE your degree (preferably something technical).

Search, read, build and enjoy! Good
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI™ View Post
I just started putting it together and I'm having issues already. First, the shafts coming out of the differential are a little short. I can't insert them in to the diff then put the housing together. The bearings won't clear. In order to do this, I have to install the diff and then put the shafts in. Will they stay in like this? Next: How much grease should be on the bevel gear? I have it turning smoothly...until I put the other side of the diff cover on and bolt it together. At that point, it won't turn at all. WTF?

So, can someone help me out?
Pull tha axle shafts out, install diff, then install axles and bearings, then put housing together. I use a small flat screwdriver or my finger to spread a coat of grease all around both gears ensuring that it gets down into all the gear teeth.

Pics would help...prolly need to shim ring and pinion gears for good mesh.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I would add RC4WD steel beadlocks are great scale wheels at great price and you won't need weights with them, they are perfect weight as is, these are white but easy to paint: RC4WD 6 Lug Wagon 2.2 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (White) (4)

Traxxas Titan 21T motor is great torque and rpm motor for cheap and mine's been going for couple years of hard 3s lipo use: Clockwise for stock setup: TowerHobbies.com | Traxxas Titan 550 Motor 21T E-Maxx

CCW (reverse) rotation if you do tranny flip: TowerHobbies.com | Traxxas Titan 550 Reverse Rotation Motor

Good decision going back to school now while you're laid off (been there done that)....do it, COMPLETE your degree (preferably something technical).

Search, read, build and enjoy! Good
Going for a double associates in network engineering and cyber security and then probably finishing up a bachelor's depending on where I end up once the girlfriend gets finished with her radiology program.

Quote:
Pull tha axle shafts out, install diff, then install axles and bearings, then put housing together. I use a small flat screwdriver or my finger to spread a coat of grease all around both gears ensuring that it gets down into all the gear teeth.

Pics would help...prolly need to shim ring and pinion gears for good mesh.
The axle shaft bearings weren't pressed in far enough and after some reading I went and got marine grease to pack the axles with. I'm going to be playing in water.

So far I have a BEC, sidewinder micro 3, water proof servo, and RC4WD brushed motor. I went to the local hobby store and did some shopping. I'm still going to need a remote and batteries.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Good to hear, too many people never finish.

Forgot to say Flysky GT3B or GT3C radio is great especially for the price! Stock

FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver

FLY SKY GT3C 2.4ghz Transmitter and Receiver with Lipo Battery and Charger

or modded: Welcome to OverkillRC -
Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Good to hear, too many people never finish.

Forgot to say Flysky GT3B or GT3C radio is great especially for the price! Stock

FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver

FLY SKY GT3C 2.4ghz Transmitter and Receiver with Lipo Battery and Charger

or modded: Welcome to OverkillRC -
The guy at the local store was recommending Spektrum Dx3c. Would there be any benefit for the extra money?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI™ View Post
The guy at the local store was recommending Spektrum Dx3c. Would there be any benefit for the extra money?
No....more money for less imo. I run Flysky only, bought like five extra receivers at same time as radio (which comes with one rx). I have GT3B that I modded to use Turnigy 1450mah 3s tx lipo, running it for couple years now. GT3C comes with lipo already.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #17

OK, I need a radio. I put myself on the list for the totally pimped out Flysky GT3C, but I have no idea how long it takes for the guy to make them. Should I look at something else? I don't want to be stuck waiting months for a radio to be modded if I'm going to have no idea what kind of timeframe it's going to be available in.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I think this is the same one...
comes with a usb cable for charging,not sure how that works...(googled;charge straight from any computer)

Flysky FS GT3C 2 4G 3CH RC LCD Car Transmitter Controller Receiver LiPo Battery | eBay

Last edited by 4.3 Zook; 04-23-2014 at 05:22 PM.
4.3 Zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3 Zook View Post
I think this is the same one...
comes with a usb cable for charging,not sure how that works...(googled;charge straight from any computer)

Flysky FS GT3C 2 4G 3CH RC LCD Car Transmitter Controller Receiver LiPo Battery | eBay
Unmodded though?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #20

I'm almost done! I know, it's taking forever, but recently finishing school has given me more free time than I had. I'm going to take to body over to a friend's house and have him paint it for me, since I'm not very good at that sort of thing. I ordered a Flysky gt3c today. All I should need now is a battery and chargers, which I have a few I can borrow from a friend. I'll buy my own over several weeks once everything is up and running. Just about everything on the chassis is assembled. I have to put the battery and electronics boxes on and get it wired up. After that, I should be pretty close to ready to run.

Noob here - Got a kit on the way. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob Kit questions merlin3287 Axial Wraith 4 12-27-2012 06:47 PM
Getting a dingo kit, Do i need anything else? help a noob Cody318 Axial SCX-10 11 12-09-2012 10:56 PM
RC noob and just bought a wraith kit RMack Axial Wraith 5 01-03-2012 04:41 PM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM