Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 2.2 Sized Moab Tires on tlt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #21
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
The reason for 2 sets of fronts is that the fronts have a shallower offset than the rears do. need the fronts for tire clearance issues
Axsully the offset is almost the same for both, it's the backspacing that is different.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2006, 08:54 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
Axsully the offset is almost the same for both, it's the backspacing that is different.
\
that cant be.........because the wheels are the same width front to rear, if the offset changes so does the back set the equal amount.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #23
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
\
that cant be.........because the wheels are the same width front to rear, if the offset changes so does the back set the equal amount.
The offset of a wheel is what locates the tire and wheel assembly in relation to the suspension. More specifically, it is the measured distance between the hub mounting surface and the center line of the rim.
Positive Offset
A positive offset occurs when the hub mounting surface is on the street side (the side you see) of the center line of the rim. Most factory rims will have this type of offset.
Zero Offset
When the hub mounting surface is centered within the rim, it is known as a zero offset.
Negative Offset
If the hub mounting surface is on the brake side of the center line of the rim, it is considered a negative offset or "deep dish".

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...Mlw9pkpS2dvzfQ

The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel.

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

I measured my Pede wheels. Overall width was 1.884".
Fronts
Offset = -.304" (negative offset)
Backspacing = .638"

Rears
Offset = +.166" (positive offset)
Backspacing = 1.108"

I was incorrect in that the offset is not all that close. Sorry.
However, can you see how 2 wheels with the same offset (one being positive offset and one being negative offset) could have very different back spacings? I was just trying to be a smart azz since you did not specify positive or negative offset in your post.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:09 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I saw that one coming a mile down the road
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:49 AM   #25
CSR
RCC Addict

Thanks Chris, I never really understood "negative vs. positive offset" 'til now! I had a salesman from American Racing try to explain it to me once, but he didn't know what he was talking about and only confused me more than I was already. Backspacing I understand, that's something I can measure with a yardstick and a tape measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
The offset of a wheel is what locates the tire and wheel assembly in relation to the suspension. More specifically, it is the measured distance between the hub mounting surface and the center line of the rim.
Positive Offset
A positive offset occurs when the hub mounting surface is on the street side (the side you see) of the center line of the rim. Most factory rims will have this type of offset.
Zero Offset
When the hub mounting surface is centered within the rim, it is known as a zero offset.
Negative Offset
If the hub mounting surface is on the brake side of the center line of the rim, it is considered a negative offset or "deep dish".

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...Mlw9pkpS2dvzfQ

The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel.

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

I measured my Pede wheels. Overall width was 1.884".
Fronts
Offset = -.304" (negative offset)
Backspacing = .638"

Rears
Offset = +.166" (positive offset)
Backspacing = 1.108"

I was incorrect in that the offset is not all that close. Sorry.
However, can you see how 2 wheels with the same offset (one being positive offset and one being negative offset) could have very different back spacings? I was just trying to be a smart azz since you did not specify positive or negative offset in your post.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #26
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR
Backspacing I understand, that's something I can measure with a yardstick and a tape measure.

Glad to help CSR.

Most people do not understand the differences and mix up the terms (look at alot of the posts about wheels) I just saw an opportunity to post that info and thought it would be helpful, luckily Rockwerx took the bait like Fishy said.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Yes thank you very much , WOW I had no idea that there is such a difference.
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote