Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Learning and expanding my Fleet!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Talking Learning and expanding my Fleet!!!

So I have two MRCP's that are both modded one with all aluminum and the other 4ws. I do these for fun and truly as a hobby so I'm just playing with them. i enjoy modding and the build process. I also have a McRC that looks like a super and its got RC4WD wheels and tires a cageless chassis and custom cut aluminum links from xcrawlers. I have a Desert Micro for my fiance just for her to play with and I've got a Cs'ed drift car for the other side of the road.

I want to get a Scale truck but can't make up my mind as to what I want. I like the detail and the look of a scale truck but I need it to pull a trailer for the Comp Crawlers and the Drift Car and in the future a RC boat for the lake behind the house. I want this Scale truck to be able to launch the boat and thus need to it deal with water. I've been in RC stuff for about a decade but am by no means an expert. I used to race stadium trucks back in the day and since then have changed things around.

What helpful advice would you say? Right now I'm thinking about the Wraith Kit (I enjoy building the kits) as a first and then either an RC4WD or a SCX10. Thoughts?
mitchponton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2014, 02:05 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Anyone have some advice?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Learning and expanding my Fleet!!!

Well the SCX makes a more scale tow rig. And it takes much more abuse stock for stock than a Wraith. I have both, and the Wraith is a little more fun to drive, but it is a total money pit. Plan on having another $300 tied up in upgrade parts before it is remotely reliable. The larger tires, wider stance, sharper steering angle, and more weight are hell on electronics, especially the steering servo. I've killed over $500 in servos in the Wraith in the two years I've had it. Finally made a mount for the oversized, expensive, Hitec 7980 and wish I had done that from the start.

The smaller, lighter SCX uses the same trans gears and axle gears as the Wraith and can get away with cheaper servos. I'd suggest you look at either a Dingo or one of the Jeep kits.

A couple companies even make hitches for the SCX lineup.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Well the SCX makes a more scale tow rig. And it takes much more abuse stock for stock than a Wraith. I have both, and the Wraith is a little more fun to drive, but it is a total money pit. Plan on having another $300 tied up in upgrade parts before it is remotely reliable. The larger tires, wider stance, sharper steering angle, and more weight are hell on electronics, especially the steering servo. I've killed over $500 in servos in the Wraith in the two years I've had it. Finally made a mount for the oversized, expensive, Hitec 7980 and wish I had done that from the start.

The smaller, lighter SCX uses the same trans gears and axle gears as the Wraith and can get away with cheaper servos. I'd suggest you look at either a Dingo or one of the Jeep kits.

A couple companies even make hitches for the SCX lineup.
Thank you so much!!!

Yeah I'm gonna lean toward the SCX10 now because you said that. I don't want to destroy a bunch of stuff. Is the Dingo the half truck body sort of deal? The Honcho? Yeah I'd love to get a hitch for it. So question again. I buy the kit, what electronics would you recommend so it can get into water and mud and what option parts should I get to build it up right?

You're such a great help thank you again!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Can I get the kit and convert it to a Honcho style? I'd like to get an F250 cab for it and have it look just like on Prolines website. I saw two kits, the Dingo and the Jeep, can I convert these to the Honcho style? I don't really want to buy RTR...
Old 04-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchponton View Post
Can I get the kit and convert it to a Honcho style? I'd like to get an F250 cab for it and have it look just like on Prolines website. I saw two kits, the Dingo and the Jeep, can I convert these to the Honcho style? I don't really want to buy RTR...
To convert the Dingo to Honcho: Build/Buy longer links, push the stock towers back a hole on the frame rails and buy a Honcho rear tube kit.

To convert the Jeep to a Honcho: Buy a honcho rear tube kit and different body mount posts for the rear shock towers.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Dude! That's awesome so really not too hard of a conversion to do for either of them. Just gotta figure it out and see what's more cost effective. The RTR or the kit and conversion. Than you so much
Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Sounds like you have already been pointed in the right direction, but I can confirm that you should go SCX10 all the way. Just pick the model you like best. However, for towing purposes I would not use the Dingo as I believe that is a shorter wheelbase, and that is not the best for towing.
RCTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTogether View Post
Sounds like you have already been pointed in the right direction, but I can confirm that you should go SCX10 all the way. Just pick the model you like best. However, for towing purposes I would not use the Dingo as I believe that is a shorter wheelbase, and that is not the best for towing.
So you'd recommend the Jeep kit if I'll be using it for towing. Great! Thank you very much. I'll get that kit and get a truck body to put on it like the F250 body. What option parts should I get with the kit to build it right? What electronics should I get to handle water properly?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Should I get the jeep wrangler kit ax90027 or the jeep g6 kit ax90034?

I want to put a full truck body on it or a Honcho style but want the better performing kit. Which one of these two should I end up buying?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Depends on what you want (since it doesn't seem you'll be keeping the stock body either way). Check out tower hobbies as they're always running sales. I picked up my Dingo kit last year for $175 shipped from them
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
Depends on what you want (since it doesn't seem you'll be keeping the stock body either way). Check out tower hobbies as they're always running sales. I picked up my Dingo kit last year for $175 shipped from them
Yeah I just saw the SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Recon G6 Kit and it seems to be the top of the longer with 4 link aluminum front and rear and all the parts that I think I would replace. My only question is can I get a Ford F350 full body on it? Who makes that body? What do you think about that kit?

Last edited by mitchponton; 04-22-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Learning and expanding my Fleet!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Expanding Foam Hold Up? notez2beat Tools, and Procedures 22 07-04-2020 10:33 AM
battery is expanding... sliceofnoob Electronics 27 02-08-2012 02:08 AM
HobbyTown Expanding!!! debooffroad Tennessee 22 10-29-2009 04:06 PM
tlt shocks expanding obijuan Newbie General 3 01-07-2007 02:29 PM