Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need advice (Wraith/elecs)- Noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question

O.K., the wife is "allowing" me to get a Wraith kit. Looks like everywhere is out of stock, so will be awhile.

With all of my past rc hobbies (cars/trucks/planes/helis), I have always upgraded from the start, and wound up having more in upgrades that the cost of the initial kit(s), so with my Wraith build I am going stock until something breaks or needs replacing. Then I will upgrade.

I love in South Alabama (Mobile), and to my knowledge, there are not any true "crawling" areas around here, but there are some sites with rip-rap (large rocks along the river) that I will be playing at.

I will be building this as a crawler. Planning on using 2S lipo, may possibly go up to 3S if I really get into it.

Have been trolling this site, and I know the following:

1. Need a BEC - Getting the CC 10a BEC.
2. Will start off with the Solar D722 for a steering servo.

I need your help with the below:

1. Radio - Spektrum DX3C or Futaba 3PL (Both are about $100). I have heard that Spektrum has had some range problems, but do not see where this would be an issue with crawling. I know a 4 channel would be best, but just not in the budget.

Guess this is just a toss-up. Do not want to go with a Flysky (or whatever, just seems too cheap)

2. Motor/ESC - I am so confused now... I want a brushed set-up in the $150 dollar range. I have been looking at the Tekin FX-R with either a 35, 45 or 55T motor, and have also been loking at the Holmes Hobbies ESC/Motor combo.

Since I am building this as a crawler, what turn motor do I need. Well, not necessarily need, but what would you recommend based on my plans? Guess I'm suffering from information overload. Remember, planning on running 2S. Eventually, will probably change the gearing, but will be going with all stock parts until they break. So please base your reply/suggestion on this scenario.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Post edited. Brushed set-up, not brushless. Sorry about that.

Last edited by THX_138; 04-28-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Gossamer_G30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need advice (Wraith/elecs)- Noob

The FXR and Holmes ESC's are not brushless they are brushed. Which IMO works very well for not alot of money. I personally prefer the Tekin FXR/35T combo but the holmes works just as good, it's all personal preference really. For radio I'd probably go DX3C, a better designed remote imo.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

im in the same boat as you .. waiting on a G6 kit but am getting a Castle MMP because it can handle brushed and brushless motors .. so I plan to just run a brushed motor now and plan to get the Roc412 Brushless after I upgrade the driveline
nitrojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #4

if your going to stay BRUSHED and NEVER EVER EVER go brushless ( cough cough never happen ) but none the less .. i would go with the SideWinder V3 ....
Old 04-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #5

but dont forget the Castle MMP is more up front but you wont need to buy another ESC no matter what motor you decide to run EVER
Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info so far guys. For the motor, what should I try first? 35t, 45t, or 55t?

Thanks again
Old 04-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer_G30 View Post
Thanks for the info so far guys. For the motor, what should I try first? 35t, 45t, or 55t?

Thanks again
If you REALLY want to JUST crawl with this rig, then 55t or maybe 45t would be best. Problem is the stock 4:1 ratio on the gearing for the Wraith is not crawler friendly. You need a better ratio for crawling and a high turn motor. Make sure to check Harley's motor and gearing thread in the Wraith section. Lots of good info there.

I recently put in a Holmes BRXL and 27t expert with 32p 56/12 gears in my Wraith, it is torquey as @#$@ now, so much so I have stripped out my tranny gears. But, I am not happy with the speed, not enough wheel spin for my taste. So I will likely try 56/14 next.

The bottom line is that you must prepare your self for the SLOW speed of a true crawler build or you will likely be disappointed. I see no reason to go brushless if you are intending on a true crawler.

Hope this helps!
RCTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks RCT. Will keep this in mind. Will keep reading and researching
Old 04-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

My .02

1) go the futaba route......for your radio question
2) the Tekin fxr/35t..... Cheaper route
3) or Castle MMP /Tekin 35t....... A little more $$

Cheers
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
RCC Addict

You just need to go mamba max pro and any 35t brushed will do. Later when you want a little more, then sell the 35t and go brushless in the 3000kv to 3500kv range.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Just watch the classifieds here, ebay, craigslist, and facebook and u will find mmp escs for cheap. they r almost always under $100 used and only $107 new on eBay . for a motor either a hand wound tekin or Holmes motor will make u more than happy. I have tan both and loved them before I went to a Holmes brushless motor
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

For the radio, I heard the same range issues from my LHS about Spektrum, so I went Futaba. I have both a 3PL and a 4PLS and like them both. I was able to run my SC10 4x4 from 200+ yards away on a golf course using the 4PLS with no problems (other than my eyesight). I'm currently using the 4PLS on my Wraith and will probably use the 3PL on my next build (G6).
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

If you are looking for something that can crawl and something to Hike with, I suggest a 27t motor. If you really have no clue what speed you need, Buy some cheap axial motors and try them out, maybe a 20-27-35 turn . They run about $15-20 a pop and sometimes cheaper in the classifieds here, would be a good way of getting to know what you need before dropping $50 ish + on a motor that might not be your cup of tea. As for a esc, MMP, Holmes Torque Master BR-XL($99 New), IMO either will do you right.

Happy Crawling,
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Thanks "Dad". I hadn't thought about trying 2 or 3 less expensive motors. I think I will go that route, then when I find what I like/prefer, I'll upgrade to a better motor.

RCT: Is there a place to get a "matched" set of pinion/spur gears? I guess for transmission gears, the go-to is Robinson Racing?

Thanks again to everyone for their input.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I guess for transmission gears, the go-to is Robinson Racing?
I have heard the Hot Racing gears are pretty bulletproof

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thanks "Dad". I hadn't thought about trying 2 or 3 less expensive motors. I think I will go that route, then when I find what I like/prefer, I'll upgrade to a better motor.

RCT: Is there a place to get a "matched" set of pinion/spur gears? I guess for transmission gears, the go-to is Robinson Racing?

Thanks again to everyone for their input.
Not really a single shop for matched sets per se, but using Harley's gear guide as a reference, i would recommend looking to Robinson Racing, Kimbrough, Traxxas, and Axial for various pinions and spurs. Based on what all you are looking I would recommend something in the 84-87t range for a 48 pitch spur and maybe play with 14-18t on the pinion. If you are running more power (i.e. brushless or even upgraded brushed setups) you may want to consider 32 pitch gears, they are bigger teeth and stronger, for that I would recommend trying our a 54-56t spur and 10-14 pinion. Just like the cheap Axial motors, pinion and spur gears are fairly inexpensive so just pick some sizes in the ranges I have provided above and give them a try! I run robinson tranmission gears, and they are great. I dont have experience with other brands in the tranny gears.

One last note on gearing is to always keep an eye on your motor temps, if you are crossing over 140 degrees, you need to gear down.

Last edited by RCTogether; 04-23-2014 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Added note on tranny gears
RCTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Honchos come with a 20 tooth pinion and a 87 tooth spur. Deviate from that slightly in both directions. I run a 16 tooth pinion on a 87 tooth spur, get plenty of torque and it can run flat out a low jogging pace. This is on 1.9 boggers though, which are a big tire, just slightly smaller than a 2.2 rock claw or something. For a stock wraith build, I would stay around the gear ratio range that a 15-17 tooth pinion and a 81-87 tooth spur set up accommodate.

Also, when testing the stock axial motors. When/IF you buy a holmes or something else that is a little more quality, imagine that the same turn motor will have a little more torque and speed. So if a motor you like is just Barely not what you wanted, a motor made by a decent aftermarket vendor of the same turn will likely get you what you want.

And if it doesn't, Go 3s, you'll get what you want, including finding the weak links in your drivetrain.

Happy Crawling,

Last edited by Dad,Canyoufix?; 04-23-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: grammar.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Thanks again everyone. Getting closer, and the list keeps getting longer

Need advice (Wraith/elecs)- Noob - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob seeking advice TXMontiac Newbie General 10 05-04-2010 03:15 PM
NOOB NEEDS ADVICE, what else is new? scottschory Newbie General 7 03-05-2008 06:57 PM
Noob, need advice on E Maxx Madman Newbie General 10 08-17-2006 10:59 AM