RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Summit vs dedicated crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/492938-summit-vs-dedicated-crawler.html)

timber beast 04-26-2014 02:56 PM

Summit vs dedicated crawler

How much better does a solid axle crawler crawl than a traxxas summit. I am mostly running in old sandstone quarries that are really a mix if rock a loose dirt. I get frustrated with the summit "digging into" dirt/rock rather than going up like I want or just flipping over backwards. I have weighted front end which helps but makes an already heavy truck worse. I am concerned that given the conditions a dedicated crawler won't do better. Any thoughts? Don't really want to spend money unless there will be a big difference.

Duuuuuuuude 04-27-2014 11:36 AM

Re: Summit vs dedicated crawler

Loose stuff is hard to crawl on period. Even worse when you're trying to go uphill. A smaller, lighter rig may do a bit better, but if you're just out bombing around by yourself, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

riot983 04-27-2014 10:43 PM

Two totally different trucks. For what you are doing I would recommend the summit.

RCTogether 04-29-2014 07:44 PM

Dedicated crawler would be a totally different beast all together, but they are fun. You can get into a LNC for not too much, or better yet check out the AX10 platform.

K.O.M. 04-30-2014 03:11 PM

I'm not a Traxxas Summit fan, but I do appreciate all that it has going for it. For what you are doing, the Summit sounds perfect. How about just sourcing out some paddle tires and getting some more power?

lonleycreeper 05-01-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timber beast (Post 4762787)
Why the axial over the LNC. The control of the worm drive sounds interesting.

#1 parts support. Pretty much unlimited for Axial, Losi not so much
#2 worm drive. It is difficult to get any wheel speed out of it. The ring and pinion of the Axial will allow more speed. Speed is what you need for loose hill climbs.

timber beast 05-04-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.O.M. (Post 4762349)
I'm not a Traxxas Summit fan, but I do appreciate all that it has going for it. For what you are doing, the Summit sounds perfect. How about just sourcing out some paddle tires and getting some more power?

I have considered that but I have a stampede 4x4 that pretty much has that covered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCTogether (Post 4761603)
Dedicated crawler would be a totally different beast all together, but they are fun. You can get into a LNC for not too much, or better yet check out the AX10 platform.

Why the axial over the LNC. The control of the worm drive sounds interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonleycreeper (Post 4762986)
#1 parts support. Pretty much unlimited for Axial, Losi not so much
#2 worm drive. It is difficult to get any wheel speed out of it. The ring and pinion of the Axial will allow more speed. Speed is what you need for loose hill climbs.

Thanks for the info

cnyte 05-06-2014 12:03 PM

Stick with your summit. A dedicated crawler wouldnt be much of a difference.

DynoXG 05-08-2014 11:05 AM

We had a summit that came out to our crawl session. It was by the beach, loose dirt/sand with rock. I was actually quite impressed with how it could manage to climb. The brute power would help quite a bit too. You can see a pic of it towards the bottom here:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/calif...y-area-12.html

timber beast 05-08-2014 08:58 PM

Next time I am out I will take a few pictures. The terrain I crawl on is more loose rock than any of the pictures above.