Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: $400 to spend on crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

Default $400 to spend on crawler

Hello I'm looking to spend $400 on a rtr to get started into crawling. I've been into the RC scene on and off for 20 years. I bought a tamiya txt-1 10 years ago with plans to build a crawler but lost interest at the time and sold it. I'm looking for something I can crawl over rocks, logs, dirt, thru the woods and water. I also want a rig that I can build off later with hop ups. I would like to hear some suggestions and why you would recommend that particular rig. I've been looking at the vaterra twin hammers and axial rigs. Thanks
SickBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: $400 to spend on crawler

Axial SCX10, under $400.00 and tons of aftermarket support.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Check out the diversity of the SCX10: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...chive-115.html
If you want you can go to the beginning of the thread.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Welcome,

You mentioned running it in water, then I would recommend the newer scx10 which should be out or soon to be out this month, have the newer esc which is waterproof.....The newer scx10 deadbolt or falken edition, I would recommend a kit then you could add what you wanted, but you asked for RTR so those would be my two choices.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

this kit for $299
Axial 1/10 SCX10 Deadbolt 4WD EP 2.4GHz RTR

this charger $59.99
Hitec X1+ AC Single Port AC/DC Charger

a couple of these packs at $12.59 each x2 = $25.18
GENS ACE 1600mAh 7.4V 20C LiPo Battery for AirSoft Gun

that puts you at 384.17 plus shipping and i think you will get free shipping on the vehicle
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions so far. How does the twin hammers perform?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

twin hammers is not really a crawler but more of a rock racer. from what i have seen they seem to need alot of attention to keep them going
Old 06-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

Ok how are the stock electronics holding up on the scx10 deadbolt? What are the weak links?

Also how does the ax10 deadbolt perform? I have read that it's an in between rig. I'm purely looking for fun, no comps in my future. I also want the ability to upgrade in the future.

I would rather have a kit but all my rc stuff is packed in the middle of a storage shed. We are in the process of having a new house built next spring. I'm basically looking for something rtr to help pass the time till the house is built and I can get back to my rc cars, tools and accessories. I would like to spend $400, no more than $500. Pretty much saving every penny for our new house, full walk out basement, well, septic, power. We already own 10 acres of mostly wooded land. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Last edited by THX_138; 06-10-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i dont know that you would call any of the Axial SCX10 vehicles "in between" these forums are full of thousands of rigs all built off of this platform and the aftermarket support for them is endless. these arent as you say "comp" vehicles. sure you can compete with them at scale events but they are worlds apart from the comp style vehicles like bergs, xr10s etc. beleive me you will have endless hours of fun with any of the Axial rigs. when you read about the deadbolt or go to purchase one if thats your decision be sure which deadbolt you buy. there is an ax10 deadbolt seen here AX10™ Deadbolt 1/10 Scale Electric 4WD - RTR then there is the scx10 deadbolt Axial 1/10 SCX10 Deadbolt 4WD EP 2.4GHz RTR 2 entirely different rigs
Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Buying a star and finding something with some nice upgrades and a few scuffs might be another option if you are not set on brand new. An SCX10 or Wraith with some upgrades and waterproofing already done might suit your purposes nicely. I have found some nice rigs this way and saved quite a bit of money in comparison to something new.
TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailSnail View Post
Buying a star and finding something with some nice upgrades and a few scuffs might be another option if you are not set on brand new. An SCX10 or Wraith with some upgrades and waterproofing already done might suit your purposes nicely. I have found some nice rigs this way and saved quite a bit of money in comparison to something new.
FACT! Suckers and people that just don't know (or care) any better buy new. The smart people drop $20 on a star and watch the classifieds.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #12

I had saw a review on YouTube by rccrawler on the ax10 deadbolt and the he stated it wasn't meant to be a scaler or a crawler. He stated it was an in between rig, crawler/rockracer. Now I realize the potential of this rig. Just curious if someone who has both the ax10 second gen and the scx10 could offer there input.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

If u like small tires, small obstacles, scx10.
If u want bigger tires and obstacles, ax10.

I prefer comp crawlers, that's my fav. But I have an ax10 ridgecrest (closest to deadbolt) that I have taken different directions with a mix of aftermarket and homemade parts. And like the 2.2 size and speed. I've made it a crawler and now am making it a rock racer like rig. The ar60 axles were too wide for crawling so I used some shift slims hubs from the vendors market on Rcc to narrow them up, even with VP wheels the track width was perfect, made my own 60/40 chassis with delrin (acetal resin from amazon) and made my own links and a few other custom parts. And it almost kept up with my comp crawlers, almost

Waterproofing a servo is a challenge, esc's can be bought already waterproofed but typically playing in the water is going to bite back eventually in the parts dept greasing inside axles with reg grease and dielectric grease inside a servo can help waterproof things. Conformal can be found on amazon for waterproofing. Corrosion X is another waterproof mention, or just plain liq elect tape

Considering the new scale look of the deadbolt, I would be looking at a used wraith. Can go brushless for speed or other stuff to trail. And some lights for night play

It seems to me that just about all of them (RC) have upgrades that can be bought or done with a little research.

Questions for u to answer are:
how fast you want to go?
Do you enjoy slow technical stuff or fast paced in bigger areas?
400$ can get a decent used rig in the classifieds given some patience
Whiplashdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBoy View Post
I had saw a review on YouTube by rccrawler on the ax10 deadbolt and the he stated it wasn't meant to be a scaler or a crawler. He stated it was an in between rig, crawler/rockracer. Now I realize the potential of this rig. Just curious if someone who has both the ax10 second gen and the scx10 could offer there input.
theres a ton of content here to inform your decision if you just do a little searching around.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #15

So I have made my mind up on a few things. I was able to get to a few things I needed out of my storage shed. Got my tools, nomadic react radio, airtronics 94780 high power digital servo, pro-match racing 5200 mah 25c/2s lipos, Orion clubman charger and a few other things. I'm going to place an order with Amainhobbies Sunday evening. 1. Axial SCX10 "Jeep Wrangler G6" 4WD Electric Rock Crawler Kit
[AXI90034]

Low Price: $299.99
2. Motor and esc ?????? I have a traxxas waterproof xl-5 Esc, I also have a Hobbywing EZRUN 60A-SL brushless esc. I would like to know if I can use either of these 2 esc to get me started until I can afford a better setup in the future? Also can I use the lipos I have?
3. What motor would you suggest to get me going? I have a hobby wing 4000kv that I used to run in my hpi blitz. What would an ideal motor, esc, battery setup in the future?
4. I stated that I would be running through water.... After thinking it through, maybe run in snow during winter but not going to run in anything deeper that the tires.
I've reading a lot, so much info to process. Please help with suggestions on motor, esc, battery!!
Thanks

I forgot to mention I want the truck to be able to crawl and have a little zip when needed. My playground consists of 40 acres of wooded atv/dirt bike trails. I also have a pitbike track

Last edited by THX_138; 06-10-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

If the scx10 uses the same size motor as the wraith I would look into a 13t Crawlmaster from Holmes Hobby, or the 27t.

I have the 13t in my wraith and it crawls great and moves pretty quick too.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So I have made my mind up on a few things. I was able to get to a few things I needed out of my storage shed. Got my tools, nomadic react radio, airtronics 94780 high power digital servo, pro-match racing 5200 mah 25c/2s lipos, Orion clubman charger and a few other things. I'm going to place an order with Amainhobbies Sunday evening. 1. Axial SCX10 "Jeep Wrangler G6" 4WD Electric Rock Crawler Kit
[AXI90034]

Low Price: $299.99
2. Motor and esc ?????? I have a traxxas waterproof xl-5 Esc, I also have a Hobbywing EZRUN 60A-SL brushless esc. I would like to know if I can use either of these 2 esc to get me started until I can afford a better setup in the future? Also can I use the lipos I have?
3. What motor would you suggest to get me going? I have a hobby wing 4000kv that I used to run in my hpi blitz. What would an ideal motor, esc, battery setup in the future?
4. I stated that I would be running through water.... After thinking it through, maybe run in snow during winter but not going to run in anything deeper that the tires.
I've reading a lot, so much info to process. Please help with suggestions on motor, esc, battery!!
Thanks
The EZRUN 60 amp ESC and the Hobbywing 4000kv motor would be my choice in the short term anyways.
The ESC is a little underpowered, and sensorless. So not great in those categories.. But in my opinion, way better than the Xl-5.

If you waterproof your ESC (Epoxy, plasti dip, conformal coating, tupperware, balloon) you can run in water.

All you need to waterproof on your brushless motor is the sensor board. Coat it with plasti dip or conformal coating.

I recently purchased the Hobbywing 3656sd 4000kv after it being recommended. let me just say, it's flippin amazing! Gobs of torque, top end even on 2s.
I paired it with a Castle MMP. I may switch to my Hobbywing Xerun 150 amp ESC. Either would be suitable for crawling. I use mine in my Rustler for the time being.

Long post, Hope it all makes sense. If not, someone will surely correct me
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The 13t and 16t motors from HH are nice, I use a 16 in my Xr, and will go 13t next time I'm up for new motors. To compare them to other motors you will have the best results from looking at how fast they turn per volt. The 16t skewed arm is close to a 27t reg arm motor as speed is concerned. I'd recommend the torquemaster for more punch.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Hobbywing makes a sensorless 120 amp ezrun already waterproofed I use in my slash, can handle 4s I believe... 3s in my slash with a 3800kv motor is darn fun and stupid fast accel!
Old 06-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I forgot to mention I want the truck to be able to crawl and have a little zip when needed. My playground consists of 40 acres of wooded atv/dirt bike trails. I also have a pitbike track
to start you off the xl-5 will be fine.....but....it is not a good choice for crawling, at low speeds it will cog and sputter, for trail running without crawling it will do fine. For the future, as others have stated the holmes hobbies motors and esc are a good choice, as is the Tekin fxr/35t brushed combo, it's a decent middle of the road combo -good crawling and decent wheel speed and is relatively inexpensive imo. Also I will add, take a look at tower hobbies...with their coupon codes you might be able to get it a little cheaper and if you want, most of the time you can choose easy pay which breaks the payments into three, just saying. I order from them all the time great shipping also

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 06-08-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote

$400 to spend on crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heck of a deal if you got 400 too spend usa1man Chit Chat 4 11-22-2009 09:00 AM
$400 to Spend blt-2-drg Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 09-16-2008 07:31 PM