Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Default New to crawling

Hey everyone. Just joined the forum. I've owned several rc's before but they have all been bashers. I plan on buying a crawler in the near future not sure which one yet. The new jeep poison spyder is what I'm leaning towards. It looks really detailed. I want a something realistic,capable and durable. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
gguuyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New to crawling

Hello man, welcome to R.C.C., as always you'll get the helps and support you may need. Okay so you want to be a crawler type guy well..let's talk about that. It will depend on what type of crawling you want to do. Like comp crawling, super juice crawling, regular back yard crawling, and so on. If you want a good all round truck then I would suggest the axial ax-10 deadbolt or ridgecrest. They have a superb setup for noobies and they are able to bash as well. With these you can upgrade a lot to make it more of a comp ready crawler and personally that's what I'm doing. In fact, the axial wraith (regular rtr) was my first truck but that is setup for bashing. Here are the pros and cons about the wraith:
Pros:
- great rtr out-of-the-box
- Comes with okay tires
- esc is a good starter
Cons:
- battery in the back thus having worse crawling abilities
- tires are not sticky after a while
- knuckles always get stripped out or cracked
- stock servo sucks, mine stripped right away after I put super-swampers on
- 20t is good but for crawling...no!
- plastic links bend wayyy to much for crawling
- steering linkage is crap and bends way to much for good steering
- screws strip fast

Now of course there are ways of fixing all of the cons and that's called upgrades my friend. Once you start there is no going back and I put about 1600 in my wraith. Honestly in my opinion the wraith sucks for crawling with no upgrades. Sure its a good basher but not for crawling. Hmm, I suggest to you that you buy a used truck off of ebay. They have upgrades that cost a lot and there not asking much for it. If you really want a wraith, then get one used but I would not buy one new for crawling. If you're really serious about crawling then build your own super crawler or get a xr-10 which are discounted but there are plenty of them floating around the forums and ebay. If you want to look around for used crawlers on the forum then buy a supporter star and you'll be good to go. If you have the money to upgrade then get a rtr and build off of it or dig a bit deeper in the ole pockets to build yourself a custom comp crawler. Hope this helps, good luck. - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default New to crawling

I'm fairly new to crawling as well and have a super crawler with many many dollars into it and no one around here wants to crawl with me and there are no super crawler comps or nothing of sort in town so I've been eyeing up this new axial yeti it has not been released yet but you should google that as it looks like a new design and should be all around bad ass I've also been realy eyeing up that axial wraith rock racer so As it looks like a good multi purpose unit as well as I'm definetly a basher on the side from crawling.
VenomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomCat View Post
I'm fairly new to crawling as well and have a super crawler with many many dollars into it and no one around here wants to crawl with me and there are no super crawler comps or nothing of sort in town so I've been eyeing up this new axial yeti it has not been released yet but you should google that as it looks like a new design and should be all around bad ass I've also been realy eyeing up that axial wraith rock racer so As it looks like a good multi purpose unit as well as I'm definetly a basher on the side from crawling.
Yeah well that yeti is a desert type buggy or whatever the hell it is. But it's not for rock crawling so that would be out to the new guy. I can say this now that the axial wraith isn't a very good crawler as a rtr. An scx10 can do better than the wraith when it comes to that...
Old 06-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Good to know.
Just ordered the wraith rock racer what is the difference between the sxc-10 and the wraith how is it better ? And what could I do to make the wraith better crawler beside dumping money into it as I was under the understanding that the wraith just has more options. And I've never owned an axial before so would love some feedback. Thanks
VenomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Good to know.
Just ordered the wraith rock racer what is the difference between the sxc-10 and the wraith how is it better ? And what could I do to make the wraith better crawler beside dumping money into it as I was under the understanding that the wraith just has more options. And I've never owned an axial before so would love some feedback. Thanks
Hello again. Well since you asked, I'll elaborate. The scx-10 and wraith are very different rigs, here are the main differences:
Wraith: Scx-10:
- ar-60 axles. - ax-10 axles
- 2.2 ripsaw tires - 1.9 ripsaw tires
- 4-link suspension. - 4-link rear/ 3-link front
- tube chassis - c-channel steel chassis
- 20t motor (stock) - 27t motor (stock)
- transmission is bigger - transmission is a bit smaller
As you can see there is a major difference. The scx-10 platform is for trailing while the wraith is a rock racer meaning that it is meant for going crazy speeds over rugged terrain. Of course you can upgrade to make either one better and personally my wraith has a 10.5t w/ 3s and it is insane, it will literally do a flying wheely. Go to: Axial Racing - High End Remote Control Products and Accessories for more info about each rig. Now for your wraith, here are recommend parts that you NEED to get:
- V.P. 10pc 3/16 titanium link kit- 100.00
- axial 2.2 ripsaw in r35 compound (stock are not in r35!)
- relocate battery to front
- flip the lower link/shock mount 180 degrees on both axles (will lower an inch)
- put a cheap 35t, 45t or 55t in it.

These are all perfect upgrades for crawling and yes you really need those VP parts right away, don't even run the truck till you get them! The stock steering linkage is way to bendy and will hurt that servo. Yes as axial will lie to you, the stock tires are not in r35 compound so I would say buy a new set of tires that are. Putting that battery in the front will bring all the weight to the front thus you'll have better stability and grip on the rocks. Flipping that link mount is free and simple, just unbolt it, flip it and bolt it back up and you just lowered the truck a lot for free. Figure it this way, the lower it is, the better! You don't want to much C.O.G. (Center-of-gravity) being to high so that's why. As for the motors, the 20t sucks for crawling and you WILL need to upgrade that. Let me know if you need anything else and if you do then send me a pm, it will be much easier to talk over that instead of hogging someone else's thread. Good luck and your welcome, I like helping noobies out.lol. Update me soon as you can, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 06-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Good to know.
dont listen to the people who tell you the wraith is a rock racer and an scx is a trail rig. the wraith will crawl just as good as an scx… over bigger stuff.

check out harleys stickied threads in the wraith section. all you need to know has been stickied.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback axial4x4. I think I'm gonna get a scx10 not sure which one yet tho. I read that there were two types of deadbolts(one based off scx chassis and one off the ax-10 chassis if I remember correctly). I like the trail honcho but I also like the g6 falken edition. The closest LHS is an hour away so I don't go often unless I got a pocket full of cash! I seen the poison spyder there and it looked really detailed with the seats and shifters and everything. I'm gonna build some trails in my backyard to drive it around on and the guys at the LHS said they all crawl at the state parks and that I'm welcome to hang with em so that'll be cool. I definantly want a crawler not a racer. I'm gonna try to get one next Saturday.
gguuyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

This thread made me laugh. A rtr is pretty capable for what it is. Idk what kind of "crawling" op was trying to get into but don't need much to try and crawl up some rocks. Yes eventually plastic breaks but its directly related to your two hands and the remote.
CapnSwagga is offline   Reply With Quote

New to crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to crawling JD DAWG Newbie General 4 09-13-2011 08:44 PM
Rock crawling vet, new to rc crawling. LowLock Newbie General 3 02-23-2011 07:53 AM
New to RC crawling old to real crawling need help Longgun101 Newbie General 9 11-11-2009 07:05 AM
anyone crawling near vegas going to be crawling on monday or tuesday? KILLER KRAWLER Nevada 4 08-09-2009 08:07 PM