Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Trail Honcho or SCX10 Deadbolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 AM   #1

Default SCX10 Trail Honcho or SCX10 Deadbolt?

I was looking at the trail honcho on axial's website, when I suddenly saw the SCX10 deadbolt. I wish I hadn't because now I can't decide which one.
ZzSniperzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX10 Trail Honcho or SCX10 Deadbolt?

Well, everything besides the wheelbase and body is the same between the two, so I would get the one that looks better to you. The wheelbase isn't really something to consider right now so just ignore that difference.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

^^ no the deadbolt has the newer esc?

the deadbolt has a better esc and is cheaper. personally I'd go with he deadbolt.

Last edited by B-Dub; 07-16-2014 at 08:39 AM.
B-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well it's all personal opinion but that "new" esc is just a rebranded one from HobbyKing and trust me, you will want a new system soon. That stock motor is not meant for much, there meant to be thrown away and replaced by something better. It will all depend on what you want out of the rig, a G6 comp truck, a regular trail truck or a basher which a scx10 is not exactly designed for but go ahead, that's the magic of this hobby. I'd say go with the honcho or one of the jeep RTR's for your first rig but then again it's all up to you.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dub View Post
^^ no the deadbolt has the newer esc?

the deadbolt has a better esc and is cheaper. personally I'd go with he deadbolt.
I believe that all new trucks come with the updated running gear.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
I believe that all new trucks come with the updated running gear.
Yup they do although that new ae-5 is not worth it, axial downgraded to a junk esc and it's rebranded from hobbyking so...if he got a new rig then he should get something like a BRXL to replace it...just a suggestion.

Last edited by axial 4x4 crawler; 07-16-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i have been running the new AE-5 esc for a while now, on 3s all of the time and i actually like that esc much more than my AE-2 in my scaler, main reason is ease of use, want drag brake, install jumper, want to run nimh, install a jumper, plus it is waterproof from the factory and thats a plus in my book. the stock motors that come in the vehicle are fine for your backyard boys and easy trail guys, but they dont like mud.
b00st3d-vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #8

Wow, never thought I would get so much help

I'm gonna get the honcho.

Thanks for the replies!
ZzSniperzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st3d-vr6 View Post
i have been running the new AE-5 esc for a while now, on 3s all of the time and i actually like that esc much more than my AE-2 in my scaler, main reason is ease of use, want drag brake, install jumper, want to run nimh, install a jumper, plus it is waterproof from the factory and thats a plus in my book. the stock motors that come in the vehicle are fine for your backyard boys and easy trail guys, but they dont like mud.
Yeah well good for you, I find the new esc/motor to be..junk. They couldn't last through a G6 run..could they? No..they couldn't lol. Who cares if the new ae-5 is waterproof, it's just a rebranded esc that cost roughly 20 dollars from hobbyking..so you tell me that it's good!? I doubt that as well, even with my G6 build right now..the first thing I'm replacing is all of the electronics..that includes the weak servo
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #10

I'm a newbie as well and went with the Deadbolt for my first crawler and am very happy with it. The guys at CKRC (my local shop) recommended it and with the help of my buddy big yeti have shown me some inexpensive upgrades and have been having a blast with it. My first upgrade was a set of 1.9 pit bull rock beasts and a set of BPC BEADLOCK wheels. Next step as advised by other members on this forum is a castle esc and a stronger servo. Either way you'll be happy, this hobby is a blast. Like the other guys have said its personal preference.
Tinysquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
Yeah well good for you, I find the new esc/motor to be..junk. They couldn't last through a G6 run..could they? No..they couldn't lol. Who cares if the new ae-5 is waterproof, it's just a rebranded esc that cost roughly 20 dollars from hobbyking..so you tell me that it's good!? I doubt that as well, even with my G6 build right now..the first thing I'm replacing is all of the electronics..that includes the weak servo
Wow what did you do that was so wrong you couldn't get an esc to complete a g6? My ae5 has been working fine with no complaints for well over 2 months of hard crawling. Comps trail rides and a soon a g6. Do I like it as much as my castle based esc's... No obviously, will I be upgrading, of course. But for just going out on the weekend that esc is fine.
cykb4117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Are you speaking from experience, or repeating stuff you read on the internet? If the former, why did it fail a G6? If the latter, link?

I'm in the same boat, trying to choose which scx-10 to buy, trying to get the right answers...
Dan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Lol. It does sound like he has no experience with the new esc. I can now confirm my AE5 went the entire way through a Recon G6 with no issues! Also this is not the p place to start an esc argument.

The G6 Falken is what I would buy but that's just personal preference.
cykb4117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

The ESC is actually a HobbyWing.. One letter, but a world of difference. Hobbyking has its place, but I have had Great success with HobbyWing electronics.
The new axial rtrs all have their weaknesses, but the ESC and servo are sufficient for most.
I say get what you want, its basically styling.
Someone can correct me, but I believe ALL the new rigs are coming with the hobbywing ESC and new servo.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

From researching this myself,robertjpjr,I'm thinking you're right in that all the new rigs come so equipped (looking for my next SXC10 as we speak as well,and wondering some of the same things mentioned in this thread). Other than tires and LED's (on the CRC edition),another difference (if not already mentioned) is the G6 has a 12.0" wheelbase,the others (except the Dingo kit,mind you) have 12.3" wheelbases,and obviously (like the kit) the G6 has no rear bumper.
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about and you didn't help with the OP's questions or contribute anything useful at all so you might want find another place to troll.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Axial's website still list the Castle electronics for
most of their other RTR kits.
But the Deadbolt is a more miserly offering
for those whom wish to save a dollar.

I'm guessing Axial is looking to include lower cost electronics
included in some kits
to lower their buy in costs and make it more viable to the consumer.

it's about the same mentality as you find at your grocery store.
smaller container... less contents... more money

Look at the air that is blended into your bread loaf...
again... a higher cost... but less product.
I've seen swiss cheese that has less holes.

...capitalistic greed at it's best

enjoy your new world

meh... you won't know any difference
and... that's what they're betting on

I prefer the Castle products.
and the HH BR/XL is on my list of wants.

They're all made in China...
so... pick a color
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

It's not China it's Taiwan.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #19

Im a newbie and just purchased the new G6 Faulken, if i'm not mistaken the Deadbolt and the G6 Faulken have dual slipper clutches in addition to what was posted above.
dms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

It also comes with wraith axles if I'm not mistaken. Scratch that...the ax10 does, not the scx10 deadbolt

Last edited by Johnnysplits; 07-30-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 Trail Honcho or SCX10 Deadbolt? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Trail finder 2 Axial SCX10 Honcho Rusty Bug honcho wraith at Durian Loop Trail boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 04-06-2014 09:08 AM
RC4WD Trail finder 2 Axial SCX10 Honcho Rusty Bug honcho wraith at Durian Loop Trail boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 03-24-2014 05:02 AM
Axial's SCX10 Trail Honcho Tiger 88 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 10-13-2010 04:49 PM
My SCX10 Trail Honcho Trail Ready (TR: Just add batteries) badger Axial SCX-10 15 04-03-2010 12:13 PM