Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial scx10 grinding sound, won't drive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #1

Default Axial scx10 grinding sound, won't drive

So yesterday I just got my first 2s lipo, truck was running great until I bumped into a post and then all I could hear was gears grinding.... The truck won't even drive now, it just makes a horrid sound. I took off the shroud where the motor pinion is and everything was fine in there. Doesn't seem like the sound is coming from the axles either.

Any tips on what this could be? And maybe even a video or small tutorial on how to fix/get at the problem?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial scx10 grinding sound, won't drive

Have you replaced any internal transmission gears? The stock plastic gears can strip with the torque from the motor. Lipo gives extra punch that NiMH can't.
I'd check your transmission.
Hot racing and Robinson racing make metal gears for the transmission.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post
Have you replaced any internal transmission gears? The stock plastic gears can strip with the torque from the motor. Lipo gives extra punch that NiMH can't.
I'd check your transmission.
Hot racing and Robinson racing make metal gears for the transmission.
nope just the stock tranny gears... :/ I'll have to tear it apart tonight and check it out. Do I need to take the driveshafts off to get at it?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisholm View Post
nope just the stock tranny gears... :/ I'll have to tear it apart tonight and check it out. Do I need to take the driveshafts off to get at it?
Yes, you'll need to remove both driveshafts from the tranny for a proper tear down.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #5

did you check if spur and pinion is spinning?
cnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #6

I found the stripped one, the centre one in the tranny (medium size one). So I think I'm just going to go with metal gears
Old 07-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The sudden stop or shock and the fact you had the finger on the trigger at the same split second is what broke the gear..not because you used a 2s battery with it, so you know.

You don't NEED metal gears if you don't want to spend the extra money..Nothing wrong with having them if you WANT them however but, just wanted to point it out.

Some use a 3s with stock gears but you have to be a bit more careful applying power in stressful situations with it.

Ive ran a 2s for over 1 yr and broke not a single part on my scx10...Then again, I didn't run into posts..lol..All part of the fun I suppose..lol
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
The sudden stop or shock and the fact you had the finger on the trigger at the same split second is what broke the gear..not because you used a 2s battery with it, so you know.

You don't NEED metal gears if you don't want to spend the extra money..Nothing wrong with having them if you WANT them however but, just wanted to point it out.

Some use a 3s with stock gears but you have to be a bit more careful applying power in stressful situations with it.

Ive ran a 2s for over 1 yr and broke not a single part on my scx10...Then again, I didn't run into posts..lol..All part of the fun I suppose..lol
Thanks for the input sharky, can always count on you. I think I'll just go with the stock gears then!

Ps, I'm not that bad of a driver, I was just having too much fun with the new 2s in the gravel doing donuts ;)

Thanks guys!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisholm View Post
Thanks for the input sharky, can always count on you. I think I'll just go with the stock gears then!

Ps, I'm not that bad of a driver, I was just having too much fun with the new 2s in the gravel doing donuts ;)

Thanks guys!

Fun is what its all about
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Jeep whore

Just spend the extra money and upgrade to steel gears and not have to worry about them again. For 27.99 you can get a complete set of steel gears.
scale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale4x4 View Post
Just spend the extra money and upgrade to steel gears and not have to worry about them again. For 27.99 you can get a complete set of steel gears.
I agree sooner or later there gonna wear out or break again, spend the cash on the RR one piece and the idler gear and be done worrying about the tranny. not every one drives slow like Mr Sharky.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #12

I think I stripped the center gear as well! My friend was going in reverse and then full power forward and totally messed it up. Good thing is he is paying for the replacement gear. So I'm going metal!
SeeeHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #13

My spur gear looks totally fine but wanted to get some inputs on should I go ahead and change it with metal as well or just stick with plastic?
SeeeHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'd stay w/ plastic. With a bomb proof tranny the weakest link now moves to another part of your drive train. I personally prefer it to be the spur gear. Replacing a spur gear is cheap and easy, you should keep a spare ready. I have one mounted to an outer slipper plate and pad already so it's just one nut off and back on again.
FloridaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I'd upgrade to metal gears inside the trans. That was the first (and only) thing to break on my SCX-10. I went with Robinson Racing gears and have not had a problem since.

I have always stuck with plastic spur gears on everything from 1/16 scale micros to big block nitro MTs because that is a good weak link. They are much easier to repair than a gear inside the transmission or diffs.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial scx10 grinding sound, won't drive - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new twn hammer making grinding sound hijakdgtr Vaterra Twin Hammers 4 07-10-2013 01:37 PM
grinding sound from tranny, is it normal? e32lover Axial SCX-10 10 09-27-2012 09:09 PM
xr 10 grinding sound jahuna81 Newbie General 3 04-15-2012 12:04 PM
Grinding front drive cups.... chops1sc Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 07-16-2008 01:15 AM
Ouch***grinding sound GraTou Newbie General 15 12-30-2006 01:32 PM