Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Slow Crawl Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

Question Slow Crawl Project

Hi,

I'm not new to RC. I'm a 1/8 buggy racer but I'm tired of racing. I just want a new kit to SLOW CRAWL, for speed or bashing I have my 1/8 buggies. I want a crawler for a relaxing afternoon with a RC car, nothing of bashing or high speed.
With my experience on racing , I want to start from a KIT (maybe SCX10 G6) with the "most complete" upgrades setup.

I'm building my "Christmas gift list" and this is basically I have until now:
- Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - Kit w/Free lift kit
- Gear Head SCX10 Lift Kit
- VANQUISH Axial SCX10 stage 1 kit
- Axial Ripsaw 2.2 Tire (4)
- Integy Billet Machined Alloy Dual 8 Spoke Beadlock Wheel (4) for Axial Wraith (can I use it in SCX10???)
- MIP Spline CVD Center Drive Kit, Axial SCX10 Vehicles w/12.3 in Wheelbase
- Junfac Gmade G-Transition Shock Black 90mm for 1/10 Crawlers (4) OPTION!!!!
- 35-55t brushed motor. What do you recommend me for Slow Crawl???

And for a "nice looking car"
- Hot Racing Alum Rear Stock Led Mount Bumper SCX10
- RC ROCK ARMOR - SCX10 G6 Front Winch Bumper
- RC4WD 1/10 Warn 9.5cti Winch

Any comments or suggestion will be welcome.

Other options are Vaterra Ascender and Gelande II, any suggestions or recommendations will be welcome,
Rodrigo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Slow Crawl Project

Welcome to the forum and to the crawling scene. The G6 is a great starting point (it was my second build), and your list is off to a good start. One thing I'd suggest off the bat is sticking with 1.9s instead of 2.2s. I built mine initially with 2.2 Flat Irons and switched to 1.9 Rock Beasts after several long outings. A good set of 1.9s will look much more scale and be more challenging (and therefore more fun) than 2.2s while still being extremely capable. You'll want an aluminum servo horn to start, and I'd also recommend steel tranny gears, CVDs/XVDs, and sealed bearings for the initial build. As far as motor choice is concerned, I'd suggest more toward 35t than 55t, as some wheel speed is helpful getting through stuff.

I also have a Gelande, but it's a completely different animal and not where I'd recommend starting. The G6 will be more capable and versatile than the Gelande, and you can still give it a customized scale look (though not as detailed as the Gelande). The Ascender looks very promising, but there isn't nearly as much aftermarket support as there is for the SCX10 and there are still a few early production glitches. I'm holding off on building one until those are sorted out.

I highly recommend continuing to read up on the forum, as it looks like you've been doing already. There's tons of great stuff here. Good luck and enjoy!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #3

Thanks for reply, I want to know if I can use 2.2 tires without any issues. I really like how "this" looks.
{

Another question, what is the difference between G6 and "red" Wrangler? Is it just the rear wheel/tire mount? I want to purchase the "most complete" kit (body isn't important)
Old 10-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Apart from the bodies, the only difference between the kits is that the Rubicon kit has a slightly longer wheelbase than the G6 (12.3" vs 12"). In either case, you can change the wheelbase by changing link length (and, if necessary, drive shaft length). As for 2.2 wheels and tires, depending on the height of the tires you pick, you may have clearance issues with the body. You can always fix those by trimming the body if necessary.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo360 View Post
Thanks for reply, I want to know if I can use 2.2 tires without any issues. I really like how "this" looks.
{

Another question, what is the difference between G6 and "red" Wrangler? Is it just the rear wheel/tire mount? I want to purchase the "most complete" kit (body isn't important)
It does look good(for muddin or street) but want crawl nothing without rollover with stubby WB & those HUGE tires! People get lookin good & performing good confused?

The best thing is to get a larger 1.9 tire for the look your goin after while still having performance in the rig. G6 or wrangler is the same besides .3 in wheelbase for the most part, the G6 has hd driveshafts & 32p gears which is best upgrade IMO that axial has made in a kit or rtr. Always think about this...when you go with bigger tires & huge lift on 1:1 or 1/10 scale it requires many changes.
1.pinion angles
2.upgrading drivetrain
3.replacing plastic or weak oem parts
4.horsepower(gearing)
5.shock tuning to compensate weight & travel
6.etc,etc,etc......

SCX is best when kept under 4.75 tire height keeping cog low as possible with the most clearance. 13t-35t on motor replace as you break & add your touch to a very capable rig... of course IMO

Last edited by sic1to; 10-29-2014 at 10:26 AM.
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
G6 or wrangler is the same besides .3 in wheelbase for the most part, the G6 has hd driveshafts & 32p gears which is best upgrade IMO that axial has made in a kit or rtr.
The G6 Falken RTR has those upgrades but not the G6 kit. The G6 kit has the same parts as the Rubicon kit. As mentioned in other replies the difference is mainly the body and wheelbase. The Rubicon also comes with a spare tire and rear bumper which the G6 doesn't have while the G6 comes with the light bar. And a $30 price difference in the G6s favor.

Most of your list looks pretty good to me but I personally wouldn't recommend the 2.2s or the lift kit unless you are just really really wanting a specific look. I got that lift kit with both of the G6s I built with my kids. The kit is great, I have no complaints about the quality, look or functionality of the parts. However, unless you really need it for some reason, the higher cog hurts performance. We put the kit on one truck and not the other and the one without has a clear advantage performance wise. Also, I put my 2.2s off my Wraith on the one with the lift just to see what that was like and again I lost performance. It rolled much easier and flipped easier as well. I'm sure there is some terrain that the big tires would be a benefit but without the wider track and longer wheelbase of the Wraith they seem to hurt more than help. I have seen people use that kit to change the shock angle instead of lift which can be very effective but I haven't tried that myself. I think it would work best with longer shocks.
Speaking of shocks, that's another upgrade I'd take off the list, or at least put it in a second wave. Assuming you start with the kit, it comes with the Aluminum Icon shocks and they are actually quite good! I'm not saying they are the best you can buy but they are very good. Unless you really need a different length shock for your build then your money is definitely better spent somewhere else! Now if you end up going with an RTR than all bets are off.
Well that's my 2 cents. Happy building!
Oh and I really like that winch but I'd go ahead and order a couple of replacement lines. It's fairly easy for the line to get pinched between the drum and the housing which tends to cut the line a bit. Also of the 4 RC4WD winch lines we've had (two with the winches and 2 replacement), two of them had a weird defect where the core was poking through the casing in a number of places that gave the line strange bumps and they seemed to be week spots.

*edit*
One more thing! If you get the vanquish stage one kit, you'll have to get different steering links. The zero ackerman knuckles don't work with stock lengths. Also those knuckles have clearance issues with some wheels.

Last edited by crockins; 10-29-2014 at 11:54 AM.
crockins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
tho' I think the Jeep body looks great for it's scale details...
the excessively tall tires ruin it for me and look downright ridiculous.

The tires look like 657 scraper tires on a wee jeep

If this were a 1:1 rig it could be in a monster truck show n shine...
but would be useless as an off road rig.

to each their own of course...
but I still don't get it.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #8

Thanks for reply, searching for more upgrades I found this:
- Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - 38T/13T

- Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - 43T/13T

AX10 Scorpion Universal Set (2pcs)

- AX10 Locked Transmission - Complete Metal Gear Set - Steel (3pcs)

Definetelly IŽll go with the 1.9 tires, thanks to your replies. What 1.9 (bigger than kit) tires to you recommend me.
About the vanquish stage one kit, are better the original Axial aluminum options parts?

Edit: I'm still reading....
What is panhard bar? What is the bennefit of it?
Axial scx10 chassis mounted servo kit with panhard bar

Thanks

Last edited by Rodrigo360; 10-30-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Add question ???
Old 10-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
- AX10 Locked Transmission - Complete Metal Gear Set - Steel (3pcs)

About the vanquish stage one kit, are better the original Axial aluminum options parts?

Edit: I'm still reading....
What is panhard bar? What is the bennefit of it?
Axial scx10 chassis mounted servo kit with panhard bar

Thanks
Ive had my G6 for about a year now, still running stock gears. Havent had an issue. My personal opinion on the metal gears... yeah they are great, but if you bind up an axle in a tight spot, something is going to break. If you run metal gears with a stock drive shaft i think you would be golden. The gears are a helluva lot harder to change than a driveshaft.

I am rocking the Vanquish stage one kit. you cant go wrong there. The stock Axial plastic parts do break, and quickly. Get all aluminium parts.

Panhard bar, if you do a bit of looking around i know there are a few threads on here with people talking about the pros and cons of them. I personally like my G6 with the servo on the axle, it does not bother me it doesnt look 100% real, and there was some minor trimming needed (also explained in a few threads on here) for clearing the servo horn when suspension is compressed. But to awnser your question, the pan hard bar keeps your front axle from moving side to side. I dont have one, i think i might have a couple mm's of play... This does not bother me. It is my belief it is just preference, not really adding a lot to the performance. <<<Someone correct me if i am wrong please.

as for tires, what kind of terrain are you looking to run? I like my 1.9 ripsaws and know a few guys that swear by them, we usually run in dirt/mud/trees/rocks/snow depends on the season, lol. I acctually took my stock wheels from the kit and did some custom cutting on the treads, they grab like CRAZY now.
only cut tires. post up your cut tire photos
2nd page, 7th post down... these are not mine but gave me the idea for mine, i think the work better than my ripsaws.

Last edited by 355C; 10-31-2014 at 05:59 AM.
355C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The panhard bar typically goes with a chassis mounted steering (cms) setup. From what I've seen and most of what I've read, the cms setup is not quite as good performance wise but looks a lot more scale. That's not to say that a chassis mount doesn't perform well. It's just not quite as good as an equivalent axle mounted setup. As for the vanquish stage one vs. Axial aluminum parts, they each have pros and cons. The fit and finish of vanquish parts is generally second to none and they do offer a slightly better turn radius because of the zero ackerman setup plus you've got a choice of colors. On the cons side, the zero ackerman arms cause clearance issues with some wheels which might mean you'd have to run wider wheel hexes or wider hubs if using an SLW wheel. Also the steering links are different so you'd have to buy the matching vanquish steering links or make your own. The axial aluminum parts are a bit cheaper and they use stock links which means you can use the aluminum links that come with the G6 kit so that's one less thing to buy. They do have a better turn radius than stock plastic parts but not quite as good as the zero ackerman vanquish arms. The axial parts are very high quality and are durable but don't offer the bling factor that the vanquish parts do. Also since the arm is the same as stock there are no clearance issues with the axial parts so your wheel/offset options are a little less restricted.

I like the stock Trepador tires. They perform quite well and I like the look. You might consider running the stock tires for a while before spending the money on something else. Assuming you're going to get some beadlock wheels instead of the kit glue-ons, it's not big deal to swap them out later. If nothing else you'll know for sure whether it gets better or worse when you switch tires!
crockins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #11

Hi I am also new to crawling I asked that same question to a mate as I have just built a wraith he suggested a 35t its a little faster then walking pace however slows down very well for crawling and I am happy my choice good luck
feral is offline   Reply With Quote

Slow Crawl Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Slow Crawl Setup........ little squirt Axial Wraith 16 07-22-2013 06:48 PM
VERTICAL LIMITS.! Slow Crawl Extreme.! Rivas Concepts Scale Videos! 12 02-28-2013 12:16 AM
project slow n steady greggreg2011 1.9 Scale Rigs 18 03-19-2012 07:41 PM
Long slow crawl to Nat's Creepy Inc. Axial AX-10 Scorpion 55 12-06-2010 07:26 AM
project slow crawl skate Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 11 04-01-2005 06:58 PM