RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   What brand of brushed motor? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/515051-what-brand-brushed-motor.html)

ShadS 11-12-2014 03:59 AM

What brand of brushed motor?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I have been searching for an answer to my question however I cannot find anything suitable. if anyone can give me some feed back its greatly appreciated; what brand of RC brushed motor is most reliable and "best" for rock crawling? I currently have an axial wraith and am searching for a new motor and ESC, I have heard that Tekin are good? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking of 35t or 45t so that I have some wheel speed. I've heard that all brushed motors are water resistant so a water resistant ESC would definitely be necessary for off-roading!

If you guys can let me know some information about brushed motors, brands and how many turns is suitable it would all be greatly appreciated!!

ShadS

Odd-M 11-12-2014 05:06 AM

Re: What brand of brushed motor?

You'll probably get very many sugestions, as most will recommend the motor they are running.. :-) If you want some wheel speed I wouldn't recommend anything slower than 35t on 3S lipo. Think you'll be happy with any brand of motor +/- $50, which tends to be rebuildable motors. Tekin is good, but Novak Rock Star have also done well for me.

dna4engr 11-12-2014 05:43 AM

Based on your requirements, check out holmes hobbies. The brxl esc is available waterproof and he sells combos that include an array of motor options.
A good idea would be to check out Harleys wraith guide. It's a sticky down in the wraith section. He goes through motor selection and gearing.

My personal recommendation would be a HH crawlmaster pro 13t (its 5 slot, so it's like a 27-30t 3 slot). Super smooth startup and good wheel speed. If you think that'll be too fast, get a 16t.

For power I can't recommend the torquemaster enough. I ran a 27t in my wraith I comped with last season. On 3s it works great. Just enough wheel speed when you need it, smooth crawling, and torque to break stuff lol.

If you want to mix and match, I can't recommend any other esc, but teem brood makes many excellent motors. If you go with a tekin motor, use the hand wound versions instead of the HD version. Just have not had good luck with the HD version myself.

Key with any brushed motor is to break it in before use. HH motors come already broken in.

If you're going to run in mud and water, yes a brushed motor inherently is "waterproof" for functionality, however running in this environment requires more maintenance. You must take the motor and lubricate it and make sure your brushes are still good when run in that environment.

Dna

meatmonkey 11-12-2014 08:02 AM

You need to ask yourself if your going to be playing regularly in dirty water/mud. And if so, are you willing to dissasembly/clean/lube your motor after every mudding adventure? If you are the type to just run motors till they die in all sorts of nasty goop, then don't bother with a "nice" open endbell, servicable, motor. Stick to cheapo closed endbell 27 turns, like the HPI saturn, or Axial 27 turn and keep a spare on the shelf.

If you are willing to take care of your motor, or aren't planning on dunking it regularly, then you can get a better performing open endbell motor that is serviceable.

Don't waste your money on the Integy lathe motors. Years back they were decent made in Japan motors, but the last few I've gotten were junk China crap with commutators so out of round they'd bounce the brushes at full RPM and arc out badly. Plus the bearings didn't last very long.

Best bang for the buck is likely the Holmes sportmaster in a 27 or 35 turn. It'll cost twice as much a cheap sealed endbell motor, but if you keep it clean a lubed it will easily last more than twice as long as a cheap sealed enbell motor. If you dunk it in the mud and ignore it, it'll likely not last quite as long as a cheap sealed endbell motor.

Nothing wrong with the Tekin motors, just the sportsmaster is a little cheaper.

ShadS 11-12-2014 01:46 PM

Thanks a lot guys for all the information it really helped!!

The novak rockstar certainly looks nice!

ShadS 11-12-2014 02:18 PM

Hi guys so far I like the looks of the Novak Rockstar 35t and also the Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster 35t and the Crawlermaster 16t, further information on these products is of great help!

GodSpeed999 11-12-2014 02:22 PM

Holmes Hobbies FTMFW "thumbsup"

sic1to 11-12-2014 02:29 PM

^^^^what he said!!! BRXL ESC with 16t-27t on 3s is perfect for wraith!!!!"thumbsup"

ShadS 11-12-2014 02:48 PM

What is the BRXL esc sorry?

ShadS 11-12-2014 02:49 PM

Oh yes I found it!!

The Violator 11-12-2014 03:09 PM

Novak anything has a tendency to burst into flames at any time. I would avoid them like Ebola. As far as motors go you might be best served to look at brushless again. Lots of power and more dependable for most people. If you are set on brushed, I would recommend the castle mamba max pro or one of its derivatives. They handle all but the largest 1/8th brushless motors without issue and if you decide to go brushless you can keep the esc. For a brushed motor I would choose Brood specter.

Brushed motors are a Ford Vs. Chevy thing. Holmes, Brood are the 2 biggest boutique builders. They have other lines, but a hand wound motor is the first choice. I believe Tekin makes a hand wound line, but you will not get the one on one support with them vs Brood or HH.

BUT, I again would consider a 4 pole 540 or 550 can sensored motor and castle MMP unless you are purely crawling.

And DO NOT FORGET to order a castle BEC with anything you choose.

ShadS 11-12-2014 10:48 PM

Hi Violator, I think I am set on a brushed motor can you explain to me what a BEC is. I've watched a video on one and I am intrigued!!?

mike_like 11-13-2014 02:00 AM

how many batteise do you want to use?

ShadS 11-13-2014 02:28 AM

Just one i'm not a serious rock crawler, i'm just going to be using it for fun easy free time.

Bananaclip 11-13-2014 03:08 PM

Buy a Holmes combo and call it done. They have an amazing repair service set up that will keep your motor and speed control going for as long as you need"thumbsup"

billy bones 11-13-2014 04:16 PM

I run a ROC 412 3100kv, not even close to the 55t is replaced.
I'm ordering a holmes crawlmaster pro 540 16t as an alternative.
They will (are) both matched with a mmp and 10amp cc bec.
I'm very new to scale crawling but have run tekin and castle for some time, holmes is all new to me.

ShadS 11-13-2014 11:17 PM

I've decided on the crawlermaster 16t w/ the torquemaster waterproof br-xl esc... Thanks for all your input and any confirmation that these will definitely work together in a wraith???

gmorg 11-16-2014 02:37 AM

Good choice"thumbsup"