Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: NOOB ???'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default NOOB ???'s

Ok I found this forum some time back and I'm really wanting to get back into R/C Cars/trucks. I have/had a Team Losi Junior-T and my little brother had about three others when we were younger but now my son is 8 and I would love to get him into it as well. We Rock crawl/4wheel all the time with our 1:1 trucks but I thought this might be a way to get him more involved.

I was doing a bunch of searching and I think I want to buy this deal http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51125

but wasn't sure if this is a good way to start off. Please give a noob in R/C Crawling a ton of advise. I need to keep this cheap because of budget reasons and I can Fabricate most parts my self because I'm a metal Fabrictor for a living (mostly aluminum).

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Nick
Rocfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

That package from Tammies is an excellent way to start off!!

Since you work with aluminum, fabbing a chassis shouldn't be much of an issue, or you can work with the stock one to make it more capable. 4-link rods are easy to do. Rod mounts and servo mounts should be easy for a fabricator (looking around here for ideas to work from).

Add on some tires and wheels, and you should be out of the gate with a nice roller for around $200.

Welcome to RCC!!! As an aluminum fabricator, you already have a huge advantage here over a lot of us.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Can't beat that deal. You will have to modify the stock chassis to make the pede fit, its not dificult I had 2 that I had cut up to fit the pede and I am horrible at fabrication.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the extra push! I have kind of a dumb question...Is the TLT kit an ok kit just out of the box? I mean can I run it for a little while and then start the mod process later or is it just a parts kit??

Nick
Old 12-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
RcBros Hobbies

Its a full truck. Without electronics.

For a noobie to play with and get use to it isn't to bad. You can do a few freebie mods on it as well to increase the flex.

Which isn't a bad idea. Pick up the tammies kit and build up the TLT completely. Play with it till you get bored then start the modifying.

Don't forget to shim those diffs!

This sitcky should help
FAQ: TLT-1 to TLT-Crawler ***NEWBIES READ!!!***
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro
Its a full truck. Without electronics.

For a noobie to play with and get use to it isn't to bad. You can do a few freebie mods on it as well to increase the flex.

Which isn't a bad idea. Pick up the tammies kit and build up the TLT completely. Play with it till you get bored then start the modifying.

Don't forget to shim those diffs!

This sitcky should help
FAQ: TLT-1 to TLT-Crawler ***NEWBIES READ!!!***
That's kindof what I'm looking for. I have modded things before on my Junior-T
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_2384.jpg

This origonaly is an eletric stadium truck and then I took the XX-T gas conversion kit and modded mine, but it flexed too much so I just this past year made an aluminum chassis for it!

But FREEBE mods are what I'm all about and love to do!

Nick
Old 12-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I never ran my TLT in stock form, but at first all I did was make new links to stretch the wheelbase to around 11 1/2". Kept the stock link mounts but moved the shocks to the axle and ditched the cantilever setup. I got lucky and found RST dogbones that were the right length. That was it.
You should have no problem making yourself some longer links if you fabricate for a living. The stock chassis is ok with a little modification, but the stock tranny can experience some belt slippage once you lock all the differentials. I made an idler pulley for my stock transmission that puts some tension on the belt.
low-buck TLT...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote