Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 kit vs Vaterra Ascender K5 Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #21

Default Re: Axial SCX10 kit vs Vaterra Ascender K5 Kit

I saw that one, it is only a rtr at the moment, however it has the same wheel base as the unlimited does.
darkghost92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkghost92 View Post
I saw that one, it is only a rtr at the moment, however it has the same wheel base as the unlimited does.
If you want a Power Wagon kit:

Buy the JKU kit
Buy the Power Wagon body set. AX31132
Sell the JKU body, top and cage in the RCC classified section.

If you want a Power Wagon flat bed then also get AX80046

Last edited by k7zpj; 12-06-2014 at 04:19 PM.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #23

Went to the LHS and priced out the Rubicon Unlimited, and got side tracked by the Ascender K5, still torn on which one. Time will tell though. haha
[
darkghost92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

If we want aftermarket support for the ascender then more and more people need to buy them. What aftermarket company is going to blindly make parts for a vehicle that may or may not sell? As for OD/UD it does not have to be done at the axles. Do it with the trans like the tf2 I believe it is. I personally do not own an ascender so I'm not sure if that's even possible. Probably require a motor forward design with a divorced t-case.
yotapower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I realize this is an older thread but I thought id add a few observations after making the same decision recently.

The Vattera kit is $325ish depending where you look. You do get a bunch of nice upgrades like the metal trans gears and CMS setup... But its still $325 for a kit.

You can buy an SCX10 dingo for just over $200 after discounts. Add about $25 for the 2 metal transmission gears you need and youve got $100 left to spend in other upgrades before you even reach the price of the Vattera kit. If your smart, you can have an equally upgraded Axial for the same price as the Vattera but enjoy the HUGE aftermarket parts support and stellar reputation.

I like the Vattera and do plan to get one. But for my first truck, I wanted something that was cheap, but still good and had enough parts support that I could learn about all the upgrades at my own pace. The Dingo was too good a deal to pass up. I found a cheap Jeep Cherokee body for it, upgraded the trans gears and threw on a few other extras and I'm still darn close the price of the Vattera kit.
Pavmentsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

The Vaterra kit is the better kit in my opinion, more clearance and much better steering and articulation.
Bully2RockRomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:04 AM   #27
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavmentsurfer View Post
I realize this is an older thread but I thought id add a few observations after making the same decision recently.

The Vattera kit is $325ish depending where you look. You do get a bunch of nice upgrades like the metal trans gears and CMS setup... But its still $325 for a kit.

You can buy an SCX10 dingo for just over $200 after discounts. Add about $25 for the 2 metal transmission gears you need and youve got $100 left to spend in other upgrades before you even reach the price of the Vattera kit. If your smart, you can have an equally upgraded Axial for the same price as the Vattera but enjoy the HUGE aftermarket parts support and stellar reputation.

I like the Vattera and do plan to get one. But for my first truck, I wanted something that was cheap, but still good and had enough parts support that I could learn about all the upgrades at my own pace. The Dingo was too good a deal to pass up. I found a cheap Jeep Cherokee body for it, upgraded the trans gears and threw on a few other extras and I'm still darn close the price of the Vattera kit.
true..
but then with different region comes different price range.. here in Indonesia, the SCX10 prices ranges from around $360 to $477 due to USD to IDR rate and those custom "prices" here..

with some secondhand items can be cheap, some upgraded rigs also met with higher price.. the things we have to enjoy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
Scx10 imo is best! I know the ascender comes with cms, steal tranny gears & adjustable wheelbase(which is a great idea with links included to do so) but the almost 1/8 scale body, goofy driveshaft design, no ud/od option & lack of aftermarket support its a obvious decision. Besides thats the fun in anything you built to your liking is to be different not identical! Its like everybody having the same vehicle with option of body, tires/wheels & motor only? The frame/parts is sturdy & well designed. Dont get me wrong I was a huge fan of the K5 body(& something different) for sure but when I got mine it was larger than I expected. Sold it got another scx.... Lets be honest its designed from the proven platform of a scx with some efforts to improve here & there with minimum success
I've read somewhere, even the SCX10 is not a true 1/10th scale.. someone posted a data sheet a comparison between the 1:1 scale with the measurement he did on the SCX10, it's between the 1/8th and 1/9th scale.. CMIIW

Last edited by waw; 05-05-2015 at 01:08 AM.
waw is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial SCX10 kit vs Vaterra Ascender K5 Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith Mikael General Crawlers 33 02-26-2015 03:08 PM
Gelande II .. vs .. SCX10 (G6) .. vs .. Vaterra Ascender Rodrigo360 Newbie General 3 10-23-2014 06:39 PM