Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 kit vs Vaterra Ascender K5 Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #1

Default Axial SCX10 kit vs Vaterra Ascender K5 Kit

Hey all, I have a couple RCs however as of yet I do not have a crawler, due to the fact I am torn on which one to get. I have decided on getting a kit instead of an RTR due to wanting to enjoy the building experience of the kit instead of dropping in a battery and being able to get out on the trails.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
darkghost92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial SCX10 kit vs Vaterra Ascender K5 Kit

I would go with the SCX-10. There are more after market parts for the SCX10 and there are lot more people out there that know about the SCX10 in case you need help.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Both the Axial SCX10 and the Vaterra K5 Ascender are terrific options to choose from. As most (97% of RCC) will say SCX10 because of its long dominance in the scaler market as well as being so indestructible out of the box. However, if you like to tinker and tune your RCs, the K5 Ascender is the build for you. Being it is such a new kit, it doesn't have the aftermarket support like the SCX10 does, but it is slowly building up.

The Ascender comes out of the box with more valuable parts than the SCX10 kit does. Even though I haven't purchased an Ascender yet, I think you get more value for your money and think it's a great starter scale crawler.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

No matter which kit you go with, you'll be happy.

As stated above, the SCX has been around a long time, so there is a ton of aftermarket parts available.

The ascender is new, so the aftermarket parts are just starting to hit the shelves.

There are quite a few reviews comparing the two rigs. (IMO) The ascender has more value out if the box. The SCX will need hop ups to be comparable (on paper), though you can find a lot of them used, for pretty cheap.

There have been a few who have had issues with the pinion in the diffs, but horizon has been quick to send out replacements.

Personally, my next rig will be an Ascender. I think it's a cool rig, and the adjustable wheelbase, along with the other upgrades included out of the box has swayed me.

Good luck bud, you'll love either rig. Pick one and start building.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had a Vaterra Uno and not only did it have some significant engineering &/or manufacturing errors, Vaterra decided to quit selling it very soon after it had been introduced.

Because of my experience I'll probably never buy another Vaterra product again but their scale crawler does look pretty good.

This is not to say Axial products are perfect - not at all - but nothing is perfect that I'm aware of - any kit I can remember requires either custom fitting parts, or reworking something to get it going. Then, later on, things need to be repaired &/or improved and all this is just part of what every kit builder lives with. This has been true with helicopters, airplanes, blah, blah, blah and these "problem solving challenges" are all just part of what we do.

I actually love building - maybe even more than . . . oops . . . that's another topic . . . sorry to wander off.

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the input guys! I guess the next question would be of the two SCX-10 kits available which kit would be the best to pick?
Old 11-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

From what i have seen, the scx10 out preforms the ascender. the torque twist, do to the ring and pinion size causes issues on obstacles. With simple steering mods, the scx10 can have just as much steering angle. as stated, the aftermarket support as of today is a lot higher for the scx10. with the scx10, you can also change your diff gear ratios, the ascender, i dont foresee that happening do to the tiny diff.

either way, both kits can be alot of fun, but torque twist can be very frustrating and even more of a pain when you are just starting out.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkghost92 View Post
Thanks for the input guys! I guess the next question would be of the two SCX-10 kits available which kit would be the best to pick?
Actually there are three kits:
  • AX90034 SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6
  • AX90027 SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • AX90021 Axial SCX10 Dingo
All three are good choices so it is going to come down to what you like the looks of the best.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
with the scx10, you can also change your diff gear ratios, the ascender, i dont foresee that happening do to the tiny diff.

That's a valid point though... I hadn't even thought about the size of that dif regarding gear ratios.

That's something to chew on...
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have both and I firmly believe that you can't go wrong with either.

The Axial benefits are larger ring/pinion (although possibly made out of softer material), lower initial price, tons of aftermarket support, and it's been around long enough to easily work the bugs out. The bummers are shocks that are guaranteed to leak, plastic trans gears, and somewhat restricted steering angle out of the box.

The Vaterra benefits from increased axle clearance (because of that small ring gear), superb steering angle out of the box, metal trans gears, less slop in the suspension thanks to proper metal balls in the rod ends, and a factory chassis mounted servo that is so well engineered you can't tell by driving it. The bummers are small ring/pinion gears, no OD/UD availabe, and a lack of aftermarket support at this time.

I made sure the shim the ring gear in my Ascender (I shim all my gearsets to ensure proper gear engagement and long service life) and haven't had any ring/pinion problems in about five hours of abuse. Seems that most people with gear problems are just installing the shims as shown in the manual without checking the backlash afterwards to see if more/less shimming is actually required. Inevitable manufacturing tolerances require that every ring/pinion be checked for backlash, meaning if you check the rear you can't expect the front to automatically take the same shim setup.

I'm not convinced that an SCX outperforms an Ascender. My personal experience is that a modified SCX is as capable as a stock Ascender. I have a mostly stock SCX as well, and it struggles in some places the Ascender walks through.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Actually there are three kits:
  • AX90034 SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6
  • AX90027 SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • AX90021 Axial SCX10 Dingo
All three are good choices so it is going to come down to what you like the looks of the best.
Good Catch! I just realized that the Dingo was a kit last night, however I am not a huge fan of the look of the Dingo.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Good Catch! I just realized that the Dingo was a kit last night, however I am not a huge fan of the look of the Dingo.
Another option is to buy the Dingo kit due to the lower cost. Then buy the body of your choice and then make or buy a set of links for it. You sell the Dingo body to recover some of the cost of the kit.

That increases your choice of rigs to include the power wagon, honcho or even a Proline Blazer.

Last edited by k7zpj; 11-30-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #13

I think I have finally decided on either the SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon or the SCX10 G6, and will try the Ascender in the future.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I also think terrain and driving style has alot to do with choice as well. I got a chance last night to crawl a ascender. I think Its a cool rig, but for my "driving style", I did better with a mostly stock scx10 (tsx xl 1.9 on axial 1.9 beadlocks were the only change).

My buddy on the other hand did well with the ascender.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #15

I am really starting to eye up the SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon as my first crawler with the high possibility of the Ascender in the future.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I am really starting to eye up the SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon as my first crawler with the high possibility of the Ascender in the future.
I am very happy with mine. Just blinged it up a bit but left chassis stock. Might upgrade when something breaks.

imagejpg2_zpsa8e0b105.jpg Photo by Habanero8 | Photobucket
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post

I had a Vaterra Uno and not only did it have some significant engineering &/or manufacturing errors, Vaterra decided to quit selling it very soon after it had been introduced.

Because of my experience I'll probably never buy another Vaterra product again but their scale crawler does look pretty good.

This is not to say Axial products are perfect - not at all - but nothing is perfect that I'm aware of - any kit I can remember requires either custom fitting parts, or reworking something to get it going. Then, later on, things need to be repaired &/or improved and all this is just part of what every kit builder lives with. This has been true with helicopters, airplanes, blah, blah, blah and these "problem solving challenges" are all just part of what we do.

I actually love building - maybe even more than . . . oops . . . that's another topic . . . sorry to wander off.

This sounds like a rushed desision. The Vaterra Glamis is still in production and in shops in the Fear version. It is the same buggy as the Uno but with a bigger body. You shoud know this from AXial body practise on same chassis. I have them both so I know, they share the same parts. The desition to discontinue the Uno I think was due to low sales, in that category it seems like people is steer away from 2wd buggys. But I love how it handles and it jumps nice and lands good. Almoust everyone that I know and have read about, who have owned one, like it very much. It is fast, fun and durable, only problem I have had with mine is shock pistons breaking with hard crashes, but everytime that have happend it was when I borowed it to my 6 year old nephew, and he slamming it into wall/rock.

So I have not any consern buying Vaterra products, think i have had about 6-7 Vaterra cars, now I have Galmis Uno and Fear, Ascender K5, and Twin hammers RTR and KIT

I finnished building my Acsender 3 weeks ago and its a very good truck, and i would buy another Acsender if I had to choose again between Acsender and SCX.

Acsender is better to drive and build in stock form than the SCX.

Whats I like more with the Axials is to mix diferent kits and make my own stuff.

Last edited by AngelowDoom; 12-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Scx10 imo is best! I know the ascender comes with cms, steal tranny gears & adjustable wheelbase(which is a great idea with links included to do so) but the almost 1/8 scale body, goofy driveshaft design, no ud/od option & lack of aftermarket support its a obvious decision. Besides thats the fun in anything you built to your liking is to be different not identical! Its like everybody having the same vehicle with option of body, tires/wheels & motor only? The frame/parts is sturdy & well designed. Dont get me wrong I was a huge fan of the K5 body(& something different) for sure but when I got mine it was larger than I expected. Sold it got another scx.... Lets be honest its designed from the proven platform of a scx with some efforts to improve here & there with minimum success
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #19

Has anybody heard of any new upcoming kits from axial for the scx10?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Has anybody heard of any new upcoming kits from axial for the scx10?
I think the newest release is the Powerwagon, which is a Dodge Truck body. Personally i think either of the Jeep or Deadbolt bodies look better, and are a better value.
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial SCX10 kit vs Vaterra Ascender K5 Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith Mikael General Crawlers 33 02-26-2015 03:08 PM
Gelande II .. vs .. SCX10 (G6) .. vs .. Vaterra Ascender Rodrigo360 Newbie General 3 10-23-2014 06:39 PM