Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First time crawlers for boys 5 and 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Default First time crawlers for boys 5 and 7

I'm looking to get crawlers for my boys, 5 and 7 year olds. I and a genuine newbie to this stuff and don't have much time to spend on building or mods, though I am good with tools and understand electronics.

I'm thinking I could get something in the $100 to $200 range (each), and I'd prefer 1/10. Also, looking for something with easily obtainable replaceable parts. I did notice Redcat and Exceed seem to have 1/10 products in this range.

So, I'm looking for recommendations. I've looked at some on Amazon and eBay, but I thought I'd come here to get opinions from the experts.

Last edited by GaryTheSnail; 12-06-2014 at 12:23 PM.
GaryTheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

Default Re: First time crawlers for boys 5 and 7

OK, I'll start with a couple that I spotted.
Redcat Racing Rockslide-RS10-XT-24 ?
1/10 Exceed RC MaxStone 4WD ?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i have the maxstone 16 and love it i got mine on amazon. the shipping is much cheaper then nitrorcx.
chazekxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazekxt View Post
i have the maxstone 16 and love it i got mine on amazon. the shipping is much cheaper then nitrorcx.
Yeah I saw that one. It's Exceed RC right?
Old 12-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

with the trucks your looking at youll spend alot of time repairing and modding. had both , just money pits IMO.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
with the trucks your looking at youll spend alot of time repairing and modding. had both , just money pits IMO.
So what would you suggest I look at?
Old 12-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #7

from my limited experience dealing with customers on the hobby side of our store, a 5 year old or 7 year old may be more along the lines of a stadium truck than a crawler at this point in their life. also, to echo what crawlhog said, you definitely get what you pay for.
TRE3TOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE3TOP View Post
from my limited experience dealing with customers on the hobby side of our store, a 5 year old or 7 year old may be more along the lines of a stadium truck than a crawler at this point in their life. also, to echo what crawlhog said, you definitely get what you pay for.
Well, that's why I posted in the newbie section. Can you expand on what the 5-7 years olds buy? My boys love video games with off-road motorcycles and 4-wheelers. They love to watch the crawler videos on Youtube.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTheSnail View Post
Yeah I saw that one. It's Exceed RC right?
yes i also put the fireball 370 motor it lots faster now
chazekxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #10

I should add that one of the things that attracted me to the crawlers is that they're slow! My boys like to crash into things, so slower is better. All the other cheap RC stuff we've gotten has been broken within a few days (in one case, within the first hour) and there are no parts available for the cheap stuff.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You could get them micro crawlers like the losi trail trekker or the redcat sumo. I have both and I'm getting a losi for my son for Christmas. Check out the losi micro crawler section for more info on the sumo or trail trekker.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I have an exceed maxstone 16. Most fun I've ever had for 100$. It has been very durable. I think it would be an excellent choice. I am up to about 250$ in mine. Some mods and some batteries. I out perform the neighbors slickrock. Just know that it's small plastic pieces under a large amount of stress breakage is inevitable but most losi MRc parts fit with minimal modifying. The redcat everest 16 looks to be the same to me. It is slow in stock form but powerfull enough to perform very well. There is a thread in this forum covering the maxstone 16. Give it a read. Don't let the off brand haters get you down. Do your research and pick what works for you.

Mobile Uploads Photos by bellersteven | Photobucket
Dubnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The big problem you're going to run into is with parts support. The two rigs you listed have parts support in some capacity I'm sure, but it won't be local (Redcat MAY have some local parts support, but it's mostly for their more mainstream vehicles), meaning you'll likely have to wait a week or so for new parts WHEN they break. Through RPP, CKRC, or Tower (possibly some others), you can get an RTR Axial SCX10 Deadbolt for around $260-270 after coupon codes. Yes, it's slightly over your budget, but they're proven trucks with parts support at nearly every LHS out there. Not to mention, the trucks can grow with them and be upgraded slowly as they or you see fit, and you will find a MUCH better aftermarket for them. Do it right the first time instead of purchasing the same cheap rigs twice over and spend twice the amount of downtime waiting on parts.

Last edited by Boogie; 12-09-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I just found out that tower has a deal you can get an Axial Deadbolt SCX10 for 100$ a month. As a father of 4 I rarely have 300$ that I can spend. But I do have 100$ at least once a month. Haha. My first 20$ of January is going to RCC for providing us with this incredible forum. Then I'm doin the deal. I've been surfing the SCX pages for weeks. No one in my area has a mini and I would like to go out with them on trail runs. All SCXs and wraiths.
Dubnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I don't like repeating stuff from a similar thread, but... You should really look into the ECX 1/18th scale. They are not fast, they are quick, they take a crash or several dozen, parts support should be decent, not Traxxas though. They are relatively cheap as well, running 110$ up here in Canada. There are 2 versions as well, a monster truck, and a short course truck. They come with everything needed to operate, except that you may want a better charger or spare batteries. I was rocking the 1/18 Torment inside a house the other day, crashed it many times, mostly for fun.
Ruckus 1/18th 4WD Monster Truck RTR (ECX01000): ECX RC
Torment 1/18th 4WD Short Course Truck RTR (ECX01001): ECX RC
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnrub View Post
I just found out that tower has a deal you can get an Axial Deadbolt SCX10 for 100$ a month. As a father of 4 I rarely have 300$ that I can spend. But I do have 100$ at least once a month. Haha. My first 20$ of January is going to RCC for providing us with this incredible forum. Then I'm doin the deal. I've been surfing the SCX pages for weeks. No one in my area has a mini and I would like to go out with them on trail runs. All SCXs and wraiths.

Actually, after the coupon code, it's around $89. I'm doing the same deal right now.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #17

Little guys that need slow and good parts support?
Used Losi Night Crawler. Great parts support for anything Losi and the truck is fun to use stock- and slow by design.
Yamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguy View Post
Little guys that need slow and good parts support?
Used Losi Night Crawler. Great parts support for anything Losi and the truck is fun to use stock- and slow by design.
Kids and worm gears wouldn't be an ideal combination
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I got my 8 year old an SCX10 Jeep G6 falken edition. Got a screaming good deal at the LHS. He's broken a couple of parts that we replaced from the spare parts tree that comes with it. No upgrades yet love the flexible plastic links. They bend, not break. The neighbour's boy has gone through about 6 cheap Toys R Us trucks in the time my boy has had his. They break. Battery life sucks while the SCX10 just keeps going. He goes all afternoon on one NIMH battery. Another plus is that he'll still be interested in it in a few years.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
Kids and worm gears wouldn't be an ideal combination
Why are worm gears and kids a bad combo? The performance is slow and deliberate by nature. Dad can throw some grease in them from time to time...
Yamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

First time crawlers for boys 5 and 7 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West Coast RC Crawlers Comp #4 "Tall Boys" 3/3/12 Illeagle Competitions 20 03-04-2012 04:41 PM
israel crawlers time theclimber Videos! 3 01-06-2011 08:16 AM
Camp Out Time Boys JEFF THE JET Missouri 44 08-14-2008 08:22 PM
Time to pony up boys! jaxcoffee Texas 0 05-28-2008 05:29 PM
Took the boys out to run the crawlers mr.maxx Videos! 10 09-12-2006 09:21 AM