Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "New to crawling; what to buy?" Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #21

Default re: "New to crawling; what to buy?" Guide

A newbie to the r/c crawler scene. An informative thread that diffidently helps.
Buggy318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #22
RCC Addict

What to get for maintenance thread:

What to get for maintenance?

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 01-10-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Description added
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
It seems like we're answering this question multiple times per day so I thought perhaps, in the interest of saving many of us boatloads of time, we could consolidate & make a sticky if there are enough contributors for the mods to deem it worthy.

Quote:
[/LIST]
That's crazy expensive! No way would I spend that kind of money on a motor alone. Sorry, but for most of us blue-collar folks, I don't think those are valid options.

A suggestion...if your objective is to encourage multiple contributors to share their experiences in the interest of creating the ultimate guide to help newbies decide what to buy, it's probably not a great idea to shoot those contributors down so quickly. This is particularly true when someone is sharing an opinion that happens to be fairly widely held (I've read far more from people that like their ROC 412s than from those who don't). As it turns out, the brushless motor options Olle P suggested span a wide price range (from $65 for the HH brushless, which is also generally very well regarded, to $150 for the ROC412) from vendors that have excellent reputations for customer support, so they actually fit a fairly wide range of budgets. There are plenty of newbies who don't mind spending more if it will get them more quality, performance, and/or support, and they will appreciate hearing about those options from those who have experience with them. For those that don't have or want to spend that much money, there are other options which may or may not work as well depending on preferences, driving style, setup, etc. Your recommendations may well be good for those on a tighter budget, but that doesn't mean that more expensive options aren't well worth it for those who can or want to spend more. I've done it both ways - 3 rigs with expensive ROC 412 setups and 3 rigs with less expensive brushed setups. I happen to like each of them in different ways for different reasons.

On the flip side, if your objective is different, just say so. If you want to create your own guide, then you can just call it that. Be as comprehensive (or not) and opinionated (or not) as you like, and people can decide for themselves whether they like/agree with you. If you want it to be comprehensive and collaborative for those on a tight budget, you can just say that, too. In fact, that would be a great contribution to the forum (much like Harley's ongoing budget Deadbolt build) and perhaps worthy of being a sticky. It's just not what your title and intro tell readers this is trying to be.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:42 AM   #24
RCC Addict

New2rocks; I agree with your statement, but some very specific prerequisites apply before I'd suggest a newbie to use a brushless motor.
* RTR crawlers never come with brushless, and buying RTR is my general advice.
* Persons that own and run r/c cars in other disciplines can start with kits, but even then the primary advice is for brushed motor unless a) it's a crawler with worm drives, or b) it's not a crawler but a rock racer.
Even then a good amount of money is needed for brushless since the "cheap" option for ESC is a $120+ MMP...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #25
RCC Addict

new2rocks & Olle P, thanks a lot for your feedback & input.

I've gone back & changed my statement(s) to try and reflect the stated purpose(s) of this thread.

Also, added some brushed setup recommendations to the kit option since so many folks are using this instead of brushless for crawling.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 02-25-2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added appreciations
Old 01-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I'd stay away from this motor. I've got the older iteration of it and the low speed characteristics isn't good.
Much better to use a brushed motor, 35-50T depending on desired speed and battery voltage. $10 Brushed motors are also better suited for running in murky water.
Hey Olle, since you've got this motor would you do us a favor and check if maybe the degree markings are incorrect? Someone on HK with a TrackStar brushless motor said:
Overall Rating by jarrod:
This is my first brushless motor and it appears to have very nice build quality and it runs very smooth. With the timing at the stock 15deg. setting the motor runs faster in reverse than foward. When I set the timing to 30deg. the speeds were the same in both directions. I am thinking that the 30deg mark is actually the 0deg point and the 45 deg mark would be plus 15 deg and the 15 deg mark is actually -15deg.
If that's the case then maybe it does have zero degree timing and even -15 degrees (i.e. good crawl speed) which would be great for us crawlers and might save you from having to buy a new motor!
Old 01-19-2015, 02:16 AM   #27
RCC Addict

I don't know where the zero position is physically located. I've noticed that the motor feels faster and "lighter" in reverse though, even if it's not an obvious difference.
Have to do some further checks to verify, but right now that motor is mounted in my drift car with no sensored ESC.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Switched vendor from Tower to RPP Hobbies since the latter supports RCCrawler.com!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:54 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Based on feedback, removed brushless as an option.

Linked to more popular ESC's & recommended supplies/tools.

Added links to helpful discussions to help with choosing a motor & ESC.

If you know of good & current servo discussions or would like to chime in regarding servos (or anything on topic, for that matter), please feel free to do so.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 01-26-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Based on feedback, removed brushless as an option.

Linked to more popular ESC's & recommended supplies/tools.

Added links to helpful discussions to help with choosing a motor & ESC.

If you know of good & current servo discussions or would like to chime in regarding servos (or anything on topic, for that matter), please feel free to do so.
Very helpful! I appreciate the time you took to put that list together.

The stock tsx45 servo has one plastic gear that likes to strip out, but it can be replaced with the all metal gear set from the higher end tsx servos to get you back going for cheap.
Boover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Where was this thread several months ago, before I bought my SCX10?

BTW, the Holmes Hobbies Crawl Master 13T is a wicked motor for very little money. I love mine.
rcntncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Sticky please. I wish I would have seen this 5 months ago. Lots of good info that will be useful down the road even.
Randy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #33

As a noob THIS was one of the most helpful threads I've read so far. Just happen to see a link in StomperCrawler's signature.
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the right up! It helped a lot...
Jeepincwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #35

As a newb myself this thread was very helpful, should be a sticky. I just went to Hobby King and bought the turnigy lipos Iv'e seen everyone using. Wish I would have done that before I bought the lower C & mah rating venoms through amazon.
SimpleMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Question re: "New to crawling; what to buy?" Guide

Links & prices updated.

How many of y'all would like to see the Everest 10 included as one of the options (with standard upgrades of course: Axial lockers, Traxxas driveshafts, lipo, etc.)? Or should it be a separate thread?

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 02-25-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

I'm getting back into RC after about a 20 year break (last RC was a RC-10T ). The biggest confusion has been batteries and chargers, as the tech has changed so much. The battery and charger you listed should be good for general bashing? I was surprised by the low price on both...
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #38
RCC Addict

So I want to add the Everest 10 to the lineup, but not sure what vendor(s) to use. Anyone know of some rcc-supporting vendor that sells them? I know rpphobby doesn't stock them.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 03-25-2016 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Sale's over, adding E10
Old 03-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
I'm getting back into RC after about a 20 year break (last RC was a RC-10T ). The biggest confusion has been batteries and chargers, as the tech has changed so much. The battery and charger you listed should be good for general bashing? I was surprised by the low price on both...
I haven't had any trouble with them, from scx10 2s 5,000mah to 1s 120mah micro quadcopter batteries.

According to your other thread it looks like you're headed toward the Ascender so you'll need a battery about this size:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

...as the tray was designed to accept 96mm shorty packs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Old 03-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Added FAQ/info links for the Axial SCX10, Vaterra Ascender, Redcat Everest 10 & others, as a well as a purchasing link for the Everest (links for the others already existed in the post).

Tags
axial, desperate2feelspecial, nothingnew, rtr, scale crawler, scx10, trynway2hard2bmrimportant

"New to crawling; what to buy?" Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to crawling!! What to buy?? tx_rocker Newbie General 6 08-25-2008 02:09 PM
Where to buy crawling products? ChevyPedeCrwlr General Crawlers 3 07-31-2004 12:37 AM