RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Hows my build? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/519668-hows-my-build.html)

Joel. 12-24-2014 01:47 AM

Hows my build?

Hey everyone. First post.
I just got back into RC a couple of months ago. I bought a Traxxas Slash but I am now realising it's not really what I want from the hobby. I want a crawler. So I am going to sell the Slash and in the mean time build up a crawler. If all goes well hopefully early in the new year.

What I really want is a bullet proof truck. I live in country Australia so I have no local hobby shops. I have to buy everything online and wait for them to arrive meanwhile I am out of action. I have looked through the different availible kits and I like the look of the SCX10. I am leaning towards the Dingo kit because the only difference I can see is the alloy shock bodies and tyres with an $80 saving over the G6 kit.

This is what I have so far:
  • Axial SCX10 Dingo 'Builders Kit' Link
  • Tekin HD T Series Brushed 35t Link
  • Traxxas XL5 ESC Link
  • Protek 100T Standard High Torque Servo Link
  • Futaba 3RPKA Radio Link
Does this sound good? Are these items bulletproof? What upgrades would I need to do?
I have no idea about the Tekin motor but the reviews seem good. Leaning towards the Traxxas ESC as it is waterproof. The Protek servo is cheaper then a Savox and the reviews are good and I am using the 3RPKA on my Slash and have had no problems. I may not need one as I am planning on offering my Slash as a RTR package or without radio gear.

I understand that no RC is bullet proof but I do want something that will last. I am not planning on abusing the truck. I just want to do some crawling and trailing. No mudding or driving through a river. Maybe the occasional shallow puddle but nothing extreme. If you get me.

Thanks for looking. :)

new2rocks 12-25-2014 06:05 AM

Hows my build?

First, let me welcome you to the addiction. You've chosen an excellent starting point. Like you, when I got back into RCs in the spring, a SC truck (SC10 4x4) was one of my first builds. Once I built my Wraith and G6, I realized that crawling (and scaling in particular) was where it would be at for me, and I officially became hooked. Also like you, I tried to make my first two builds "bullet-proof". I spent a lot of money following a lot of other people's advice on what constituted "bullet-proof" before I realized that there's no such thing. So much depends on how you plan to use your kit and how much you want to spend. It will also make a difference whether you plan to run 2s vs 3s. 3s has lots of advantages (I run it in my Axial rigs), but it does put more stress on the drivetrain. So with that caveat, here are a few recommendations based on my experience:

1. Replace the idler and lower diff gears in the tranny with hardened gears. RRP are generally considered the best around and are what I use.

2. Replace the upper plastic links with metal. I've used Vanquish links, but there are lots of less costly options.

3. Replace the stock driveshafts (they break easily). I've used RC4WD steel punishers, MIPs, and Junfacs on various rigs and all have been very good.

4. Stock knuckles, c-hubs and lockouts can also be failure points, particularly with a reasonably strong servo and metal steering links. I run various combinations of RC4WD, Axial and Vanquish parts. You can't go wrong with any of those.

5. The stock ring/pinion gears and lockers are not particularly strong and tend to strip over time. I recommend the Axial hardened ring/pinion gears. While you're swapping those out, you'll be able to improve crawling performance by switching to the OD ratio in the front and/or UD ratio in the rear. I run hardened gears with the stock ratio in front and UD in the rear and have been very happy with that setup.

6. Depending on how you plan to run, the Protek servo may be a bit weak. I run the Savox 1210 in my G6. At 277 oz-inch at 6.0v, I find it has plenty of torque, and it's waterproof out of the box. I've dunked it many times with no issues. Though I haven't used a weaker servo, my guess is that the 216 oz from the Protek servo might seem a bit weak if you end up playing in moderate to serious rocks.

7. On the topic of water, if you plan to get wet at all (even running through puddles), you should probably building with sealed bearings from the start. I didn't do that on my Wraith, had multiple bearings fail, and have had to take things apart to replace them. I did it on my G6 and haven't had a single bearing fail. Fast Eddy makes good ones, and they're not too expensive. Three guesses as to which is easier... :)

I don't have any experience with Traxxas ESCs, though I know lots of people use them. I've been using Castle MMPs, Holmes Hobbies BRXLs and a couple of Vipers. One setting that I have found very useful is programming to an exponential throttle curve, which gives more gradual throttle response at slow speeds. If the Traxxas ESC doesn't have that feature, I'd suggest looking at the Holmes or some of the Castle ESCs. If you go with Holmes (which can be purchased waterproof) or Castle (some Sidewinders come waterproof, MMP doesn't but can be waterproofed by you), I highly recommend the Castle Link. It makes programming a breeze by plugging the ESC into your computer.

As far as radios are concerned, if you're happy with your Futaba, no harm in staying with it for now. Over time, you may find that you want more adjustability. I have a couple of 3PLs and like them well enough. I've recently started using hacked FlySky GT3Bs on my newer builds and think I like it a bit better for the money (more features, more adjustability, better display, comes with rechargeable battery pack instead of an endless supply of AAs or having to upgrade the pack).

One last suggestion - I would recommend investing in a Castle BEC out of the gate. It will help make sure your servo gets enough power without overloading the built-in BEC in your ESC.

I hope that helps. Good luck, have fun, and let us know how else we can help! "thumbsup"

Joel. 12-25-2014 03:02 PM

Re: Hows my build?

Wow thanks alot for your very thorough reply! Very helpful! Lots for me to look at. Hopefully my bank balance will survive. :ror:
What is the advantage of 3s over 2s? I would have thought it wouldn't make to much difference with crawling.

nharkey85 12-25-2014 03:16 PM

I second the comment on the protek 100T. I had one in a race rige last year, and the servo could not hold SC sized tires at lock. Im using a solar D771 (still a bit weak), and power hd 1501, and a power hd 1218th. The 1218th is a pretty decent servo on 7volts with a $36 price tag

new2rocks 12-25-2014 04:33 PM

There are a couple of advantages of 3s vs 2s. The higher voltage obviously provides more torque and wheelspeed, which can help in certain situations. Also, by running 3s with a lower pinion gear vs 2s with a higher pinion, your motor will stay cooler on long runs even with the added torque and wheelspeed.

The biggest disadvantage is that the added power (especially if not used carefully) can stress the drivetrain and suspension, which can lead to parts breaking. If you are considering 3s, you'd definitely want to add the spur gear to the list of parts to upgrade out of the box (and maybe even with 2s anyway). I started off with a hardened 48p spur and pinions (Robinson Racing) and burned through pinions every couple of runs no matter how I tried adjusting pinion mesh. I ended up switching to a 32p spur and pinions, and I haven't had to replace a pinion since. If you go with 3s, I'd call it a must.

As far as what I'd recommend, it's really up to your preference based on how and where you think you'll be running. If you're really worried about stuff breaking and don't mind that you'll probably be limited to barely more than a brisk walking pace, I'd start off on 2s. You'll still have a ton of fun with this rig on 2s and can always upgrade later if you find yourself wanting more power.

Joel. 12-26-2014 01:28 AM

Thanks again for the replies. Protek servo is out. :ror:
I will just start with 2s. I only ran the Slash on 2s (it still hit 70kph) and was worried 3s would destroy the driveline. Did you switch to RR 32p? Also is it worth getting 2.2 wheels and tyres or as the standard 1.9 enough?

new2rocks 12-26-2014 03:54 AM

I would recommend going with the RRP 32p slipper so that you don't have to worry about it down the road. The RRP Slash slipper works, though you may need to ditch the slipper cover or shim the input shaft so that the slipper doesn't rub against the cover (I chose to shim and keep the cover).

As far as tires, I'd definitely recommend staying with 1.9s. The stock tires in the kit are pretty good (several of my running mates run them). 2.2s can create clearance issues (esp. if you're going to run the fender flares) and I think make the rig less fun. I ran 2.2 Flat Irons on my G6 for a little while before switching to 1.9 Rock Beasts. I can do just about everything with the 1.9s that I could do with the 2.2s, but I have to be more skilled in doing it. More fun in my view...

Joel. 12-26-2014 03:25 PM

Awesome thanks so much for your replies. Think I have all the info I need. Put the Slash up for sale last night so hopefully it sells and I can buy some upgrades. "thumbsup"

Joel. 12-30-2014 03:35 AM

Just ordered everything. Unfortunately I had to change a few things but I am basically starting with a standard dingo kit. No upgrades other then upper links. Money has been tight. But it should be a good start and I am really looking forward to it. :)