Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Getting into Rc Crawling. Which truck is better choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

Default Getting into Rc Crawling. Which truck is better choice?

Okay I'm looking between these 2 crawlers. Which one would be a better choice and why. If there a better recommendation let mw know. Here 2 truck.
1.SCX10™ Ram Power Wagon 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - RTR
2.Vaterra Ascender 1:10 4WD RTR 1986 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer
Amarx691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Getting into Rc Crawling. Which truck is better choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarx691 View Post
Okay I'm looking between these 2 crawlers. Which one would be a better choice and why. If there a better recommendation let mw know. Here 2 truck.
1.SCX10™ Ram Power Wagon 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - RTR
2.Vaterra Ascender 1:10 4WD RTR 1986 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer
If you are truly rock crawling than the wagon would be better (once you cut the wheel wells out) the Vaterra is capable but the scx10 is more so. Plus the scx10 has almost infinite upgrade capability.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Well I not planning on going hardcore but I probably will be doing some local events for fun. But I don't want struggle and have issues.

Need any advice asap what to choose.

Last edited by THX_138; 02-24-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #4

I was debating between the wraith and a scx10. I ended asking around at the local shop what the most popular class was and what they had the best luck with. They recommended the scx10. Out of the box they felt like they were a solid truck RTR and like mentioned before they have exponential upgrades. My Axial G6 kit should be here tomorrow =) and I just bought a used Dingo

I would ask around locally and see what everyone drives. The forum is an excellent resource but it is always helpful when can people can help you hands on.
Leaderbeanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The Ascender has superior steering, and links from factory. They both climb about the same, and have similar chassis layout. Ascender appears to have better approach angle, and clearance. Which one looks better to you? That's the one to pick. A lot of people default to 'SCX because parts', well Vaterra has put a challenge in front of Axial, and the aftermarket is beginning to bring out new stuff for the Ascender somewhat quickly.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #6

Ascender will perform together in the right hands. SCX will have more parts support both aftermarket and straight replacement. my local shop cant get a horizon dealership and I know of a lot of shops that do have it but still don't have vaterra parts. most have and keep axial.
bshaw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #7

Thanks guys. This helps a lot and I'm gonna wait off a little longer and see what more guys have to say. I have seen Ascender review and seem like good amount people are impress with the truck and they think it be the next truck that will be on top. Hopefully by next year they will have parts.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

If either truck is capable I would go with the one you can get help with and the one that parts are readily available for at you lhs.
TwistedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMetal View Post
If either truck is capable I would go with the one you can get help with and the one that parts are readily available for at you lhs.
So I should get the Ram Power Wagon? I really like the Ascender the way it flex and ability to turn sharper.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarx691 View Post
So I should get the Ram Power Wagon? I really like the Ascender the way it flex and ability to turn sharper.

Don't forget Axial Wraith... still the best to crawl with... you can also get tons of after market parts...
DenverJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:34 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Like mentioned before both are nice trucks and have pro's/con's so break them out to help you decide.

SCX10

Pro's:
Better parts market (stock and aftermarket, local and online)
Almost everyone that is into scale crawling is familiar with it and can help with issues
Been proven tough at events like Axialfest and the Recon G6 events, with a few minor upgrades like links (that you can make yourself) and rearranging electronics this is a Very capable rig

Con's:
Doesn't turn as sharp as the Ascender (which can be fixed multiple ways)

Ascender

Pro's
Overall very scale looking (the axles for ex.)
A great performer out of the box

Con's
Cost
Lack of support (at the moment)

Those are just a few to get you started. If you aren't crazy about the body on either truck, the Deadbolt Scx10 is another option. Other than the body its the same as the Ram. Its a 100 dollars less than the Vaterra and that gives you a little more $$$ for upgrades and/or personalization. I would own two or three of every truck on the market if I could. they all have something great about them but if I could do it all over again.... my first truck would have been an Scx10. Hope this helps and at the end of the day you can't go wrong with either one as long as you have fun with it.
Lv6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv6spd View Post
Like mentioned before both are nice trucks and have pro's/con's so break them out to help you decide.

SCX10

Pro's:
Better parts market (stock and aftermarket, local and online)
Almost everyone that is into scale crawling is familiar with it and can help with issues
Been proven tough at events like Axialfest and the Recon G6 events, with a few minor upgrades like links (that you can make yourself) and rearranging electronics this is a Very capable rig

Con's:
Doesn't turn as sharp as the Ascender (which can be fixed multiple ways)

Ascender

Pro's
Overall very scale looking (the axles for ex.)
A great performer out of the box

Con's
Cost
Lack of support (at the moment)

Those are just a few to get you started. If you aren't crazy about the body on either truck, the Deadbolt Scx10 is another option. Other than the body its the same as the Ram. Its a 100 dollars less than the Vaterra and that gives you a little more $$$ for upgrades and/or personalization. I would own two or three of every truck on the market if I could. they all have something great about them but if I could do it all over again.... my first truck would have been an Scx10. Hope this helps and at the end of the day you can't go wrong with either one as long as you have fun with it.

I'm leaning more on to the Ascender cause it good out of the box and eventually gonna have parts coming out soon. It just seem to surprise how the truck is from coming out the box. As stock for stock I think Ascender has it for sure, But if it comes to modification since Scx10 already have parts and everything that it needs while Ascender has only few parts. But thanks for advice,

Thanks guys I think I know what I getting

Last edited by THX_138; 02-24-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Getting into Rc Crawling. Which truck is better choice? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for best choice of trail/crawling truck mszymanski25 Newbie General 6 02-15-2013 05:53 PM
Truck Pulling and Crawling at Mermaid partsman Minnesota 1 11-14-2009 06:18 PM
New to Crawling, looking for a truck. Lowrider_33 Newbie General 5 05-06-2008 07:03 AM
best choice for first nitro truck? Crawler Ted Non Crawler RC's 41 04-21-2008 01:08 PM
Monster Truck Rock Crawling run2jeepn Chit Chat 8 12-23-2006 10:16 PM