Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New Axial SCX10 Power Wagon..Ready to upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New Axial SCX10 Power Wagon..Ready to upgrade

Hey all. New to the RC world. I have the SCX10 Power Wagon and it needs some upgrades. The body hits on a lot, it's annoying. Anyway, to my question.

What would be your first upgrades to this truck? Please list brand of part as well.

Thanks all!
cornbreadfarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2015, 12:54 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New Axial SCX10 Power Wagon..Ready to upgrade

Metal suspension and steering links, new foams and tires (with a little weight in the front) and rearranging the electronics. There are a lot more things you could do but I would start with those three and then look at steering. For steering, just search around because there are a few options in that department.

Here is a link to Harleys SCX10 build. It is an on going build and has some great advice within the videos and thread.

Harley's $50 SCX10 Deadbolt Budget Build
Lv6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks! I'll check that out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cornbreadfarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

There are a few things you can do to alleviate some of that tire rub while preserving the look. The Big Question you need to ask yourself and then share with us is, "What is this rig going to be doing?". Trail rides, Scale Comps, Rock Crawling(All about performance), or a mix of things. The Options you should choose vary depending on your answer. Here are a few options you have.

1. Smaller tires, not a popular choice, but simple enough. (more scale comp based and aesthetically pleasing)

2. Trim the wheel wells slightly. Along the line in the pics below. This will allow a 4.3" ish tire to flex without rub and have minimal rub when steering flexed out. (Mix between scale and trail)
Name:  102.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  45.8 KBName:  103.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  46.8 KB

3. Limit your up travel with longer bump stops or different shocks. The latter of those two will take some research and many many measurements and alter the performance of the rig. :P (trail or shelf)

You could also raise the body, throw a lift kit(Trail) on it or really open up the wheel wells and run flares(Rock Crawling) on it(dingo or JK are two that are easy to get) so you can run after market or modded shocks and get a bit more articulation out of it. But that is really gonna change the look(flares) and or performance(lift kit and shocks) and will likely start with some aggravation but end with a capable rig.

IMHO check out tires that are around 4.2" OD and get the set that is to your liking. Anything bigger than 4.2" will rub a considerable amount as my 4.19" tires still rub a slight bit when flexed out and steering(that is normal for just about any stock ish truck though). I tried my 4.3" TSL SX's and they rubbed just as bad as the Ripsaws.

Last edited by Dad,Canyoufix?; 01-14-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote

New Axial SCX10 Power Wagon..Ready to upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Power Wagon Project ranger4xlt Axial SCX-10 56 06-09-2015 11:59 AM
Scx10 ram power wagon body KR15 Axial SCX-10 14 10-24-2014 06:13 PM
Power wagon scx10! 509hooligan Axial SCX-10 3 05-03-2013 05:59 AM