Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Just introducing myself. Long time racer, first time crawler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

Default Just introducing myself. Long time racer, first time crawler.

Hey everyone, name is Mike and I've been bitten by the crawling bug. Never quite understood why someone would want to go slow. That is until I couldn't go racing and my buddy brought over a pair of wraiths and let my 5 year old boy and I have at it. Watching my son crawl around and have fun with me outside was all I needed to see. Currently scheming my way into a wraith for him, and an scx10 for me. I'll be getting him the rtr since it'll have more than he needs for a good time. I'm still debating on what I want to do. The fabrication standpoint of the scalers is what really attracts me, that and not needing a track to enjoy some RC. It's always killed me to have the RC itch and not be able to do anything about it. Since my buggies are dedicated racers, I wouldn't dream of bashing around the yard with them. Crawler is without a doubt the answer to that.

I currently have all the batteries and chargers I would need, a Sanwa MT4, an extra Novak Havoc Pro SC speed control, and of course all the tools and oils I'll ever need.

Pleased to meet everyone and I look forward to learning and progressing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Hinecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just introducing myself. Long time racer, first time crawler.

Welcome! I am brand new into the crawler scene as well and loving it already. My son is almost 2, but he will soon be getting his first rc car. The earlier I can get him an Axial, the better haha
kingfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Hi Mike, welcome to RCC!
You'll find everything you need here to feed your new addiction... I highly recommend reading a lot over the next couple weeks before you buy.
You may want to considering buying a used, upgraded rig for yourself from the classified section.
(you will either need to be a member for 30 days with 30 meaningful post (sounds scary but it's easy) or buy a star to support the site to gain access).
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Hi Mike, welcome!

2.5 years ago I was just like you, but look at me now - I've spent a lot of money and countless hours having fun building a crawler and I wouldn't want to have missed it for the world!
Oh and in that time I've only driven it twice actually
I just like to build / work on stuff and I'm waiting until either my daughter (almost 4) or my son (1.5y/o now) is old enough to drive it.
Crawling seems like a "slow" yet fun introduction to get your kids in the RC hobby - at least, that's my angle, my story to the wife, and I'm sticking to it ;)
Pygmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #5

My son has had several of the cheap RC's but they never hold his attention. It wasn't until he drove the wraith and we took him crawling around the neighborhood that he really showed an interest in it. For his birthday, I bought him a blade quad copter for us to play with, and while he can hover it well, he loses interest after a minute or two. He's too young to take to the track with me so I need an alternate route into the RC world for him

Old 01-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #6

My humble home pit where all the magic happens

Old 01-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Yeah no I could never get away with that!
Pygmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Welcome,

I was never into racing, too much time involvement (for me anyway) but I loved to bash and do speed runs, and felt the same way as you....how could going slow be fun? Well Years later and I am still hooked. And about 90% finished building my 4yr old son an axial wrangler g6 (just need to install electronics) but this forum has a lot of great people, and very informed also. Watch some of Harley's builds and recommendations, great video series he has made. Welcome again.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:48 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the site and to crawling. I got back into RC last year with the hope of sharing it with our 5 year-old son and quickly discovered that crawling was far and away the best way to enjoy it with him. He regularly goes out on 2+ hour trail runs with our crawling group and drives the whole time. He's now building a new rig with some help from daddy. "Thumbsup"
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421138323.141538.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  80.8 KB

The Axial platforms are great starting points, because there are endless ways to mod them as you go. RC4WD also makes some sweet scalers (Gelande 2, TF2), and the new Vaterra Ascender has a lot going for it. Enjoy - and let us know how we can help!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:59 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinecken View Post
Currently scheming my way into a wraith for him, and an scx10 for me. I'll be getting him the rtr since it'll have more than he needs for a good time. I'm still debating on what I want to do. The fabrication standpoint of the scalers is what really attracts me...
I currently have all the batteries and chargers I would need, a Sanwa MT4, an extra Novak Havoc Pro SC speed control, and of course all the tools and oils I'll ever need.
Welcome to the adventures Mike! Take a look around and you'll find oodles of info here. If you find it overwhelming just ask for help; us crawlers are generally friendly enough.

I don't know that the 30% drag brake on your Novak will keep you happy; I'm using 100% on my ae2 and it still slips a bit on inclines. Some guys use 213%. Check the link in my sig below for more recommendations, and again, welcome!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #11

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!
Stomper- why couldn't I just use regular brake to keep it from slipping? I run 0 drag on my racers and figured with the crawler I could put it at 30 and just use the brakes if I need more. Why so much drag brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #12

Welcome to the forums! I don't post much here but I love to drive my scx10 on all sorts of terrain.

You will soon come to know all the good websites and manufactures that supply the goods when it comes to crawling and scaling.

Checkout:
Store.4wd.com
Rcmodelex.com
Thetoyz.com

;)
Bunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

You seem to be far from a newbie, just newly introduced to this segment of rc. Having all the packs, chargers and radio is way ahead of the game already.

There is tons to read and then more. Welcome
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #14

a tamiya sand scorcher and then the kyosho turbo Optima for me back in the eighties. But there wasn't a huge rc community that I knew of so I kind of lost interest. Now with vehicles that max out at only 5 miles an hour I get a lot of enjoyment scaling over things attempting hill climbs and throwing a little mud. Everytime I turn on my transmitter I'm 14 years old again. I also love shooting in producing scale RC videos. Is there a place on this for a website for user created videos? Back in it after 30 years, I am a noob again and loving it.
Timmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinecken View Post
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!
Stomper- why couldn't I just use regular brake to keep it from slipping? I run 0 drag on my racers and figured with the crawler I could put it at 30 and just use the brakes if I need more. Why so much drag brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great question. Crawler esc's use instant reverse to keep from tipping over on steep inclines and other obstacles; this leaves no room for manual braking. Also, auto-brake makes crawling sooooooo much less frustrating when you've finally made some forward progress with a tough line or obstacle and you don't want to lose it.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Mike welcome to the dark side of r/c!!! The only slower toys to play with are model trains lol. My club is situated on a 5 acre r/c motorsports complex and we're having a grand opening in two weeks. I'm hoping to recruit some people like you who have always just been into racing to try the slow and highly technical world of crawling. You will enjoy this side of r/c fully!! And p.s., better call your credit card company now and have them send you a replacement card because the one you have now will soon melt!! I've gone through a few already. Have fun!!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote

Just introducing myself. Long time racer, first time crawler. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long time lurker, first time posting Nvghostrider Axial SCX-10 51 07-02-2013 03:40 PM
FJ "Bushwacker" Long time builder, first time poster adrenalinerc 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 07-20-2009 06:31 PM
long time away info please on mini crawler. BMXRDAD Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 01-21-2009 07:01 PM
Long time reader, First time poster overclokedguru General Crawlers 5 09-21-2006 11:25 PM
Long time reader, first time poster monkey boy General Crawlers 9 01-08-2006 06:56 PM