Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Advice on learning to build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #1

Default Advice on learning to build

Hello, Picked up an Axial SCX10 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited RTR. I have been looking around on the forums and have some questions.

1) How do you hook up additional electronics like lights, winches? Do you have recommendations for controllers and batteires? I would prefer not changing my radio on the SCX10 yet.

2) Where do you get styrene, are there any good tutorials, video's or blogs where I can learn how to start with basics like building interior parts and accessories and then move on to bigger body stuff.

3) Those who have custom cages like roll bars etc, how do you build them? Where do you get the metal wires and how do you weld them?
b8point6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Advice on learning to build

2 places to spend lots of time reading, and watching. Youtube has everything and then some. RCsparks, squirrel, harley designs, evol, gcm. They all have a lot of info on scalers. A lot of info. Then read threads here
Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - Axial SCX-10 at RCCrawler.com
First thing, enjoy your rig, second thing keep it maintained well. When you're ready, find a theme or direction you want to go with your truck, then start in that direction.

I can't stress how important a tool the search bar is, if you search a phrase like 'scx10 lighting' you will get a lot of reading. It is the access to a library of information. And it will help you down the road, seeing what's been done can give you ideas for your own build. I would recommend you start with the lighting, as it is not a extremely difficult job, and there are many options on how you want to do it.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You can also learn a lot in person, hands on, at a good LHS with helpful staff. Since you're in a major metro area, it shouldn't be hard to find one or two. That and find a group of like-minded hobbyists that get together regularly, as you'll be able to pick up a lot from them. Folks in my little group regularly pop over to each others' houses to wrench and kibitz.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b8point6 View Post
Hello, Picked up an Axial SCX10 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited RTR. I have been looking around on the forums and have some questions.

1) How do you hook up additional electronics like lights, winches? Do you have recommendations for controllers and batteires? I would prefer not changing my radio on the SCX10 yet.

2) Where do you get styrene, are there any good tutorials, video's or blogs where I can learn how to start with basics like building interior parts and accessories and then move on to bigger body stuff.

3) Those who have custom cages like roll bars etc, how do you build them? Where do you get the metal wires and how do you weld them?
There is a wealth of information here on the RCC site. Learn to use the search to find the information you need. The challenge is to get the search term right so you don't get a lot off topic threads.

For example if you search leds or winch controllers you would have found out about HeyOK who makes really nice controllers.
HeyOK's RC Electronics items (all in one place)

Searching the site is like learning to drive a rc crawler --> You need to practice to get good at it.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:15 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Smile Re: Advice on learning to build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b8point6 View Post

1) How do you hook up additional electronics like lights, winches?

Short answer: It depends on what voltage/amperage they need. Long answer: RCCrawler General Tech - Electronics at RCCrawler.com

1.5) Do you have recommendations for controllers and batteires? I would prefer not changing my radio on the SCX10 yet.

Check the link in my sig below for cheap batteries, future controller upgrade, tool & supply ideas, etc.

2) Where do you get styrene?

https://www.google.com/search?q=wher...utf-8&oe=utf-8

2.5) are there any good tutorials, video's or blogs where I can learn how to start with basics like building interior parts and accessories and then move on to bigger body stuff.

Scale Rigs General Tech - Scale Accessories at RCCrawler.com , RCCrawler General Tech - Paint and Body at RCCrawler.com and http://youtube.com

RCCrawler General Tech - Tools, and Procedures at RCCrawler.com
Please see the links I added above.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 01-26-2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: clarification
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Matt and the https://www.scalebuildersguild.com/forum/ is another great source of custom building information.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advice on learning to build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lazy & Crazy Build: Learning as "we" go. Frankenwheely Axial AX-10 Scorpion 55 10-01-2013 07:43 PM
build advice profluxer4life Axial XR10 12 11-27-2012 09:05 AM
Case182's Wraith build up - Learning to Crawl. Case182 Axial Wraith 32 11-16-2012 05:22 AM
Learning the hard way build thread! Creativetypes Axial XR10 46 08-19-2011 01:17 PM
first build ....need advice YelloTJ 2.2 Scale Rigs 61 02-04-2011 09:10 AM