RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Help getting started (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/526842-help-getting-started.html)

Power to Satisfy 02-20-2015 11:12 AM

Help getting started

New here, just joined. I have been reading a little and trying to get familiar with terms etc. Not new to rc, have a nitro MT, nitro road car (barely used) and some micro desert trucks.. oh and a couple of small electric heli's.

Question is, i'm looking to have a try at crawling and get a couple of friends to join me on the ride. Went to the LHS and thought i was set on a scx10 and now they opened my eyes to other potential candidates. Vaterra, rcw4d, ascender. Can anyone enlighten me or point me in the right direction. Looking to try crawling and am debating rtr or kit plus which model would i be best with. Not sure exactly where i wpuld crawl but have lots of space in the woods with rocks and also more urban envuronment during the week. Can you tell i'm confused and not sure which way to go... thanks for the help.

johnnyh66 02-20-2015 11:58 AM

Re: Help getting started

Currently, Axial (and especially the SCX10) has the most aftermarket support.

The Vaterra Ascender is the new kid on the block and a really neato rig!

Kit's are always better imho for a new guy... that way you learn what goes where and can fix it when it breaks... because it will break.

All of them have weak points and strengths...

personally, I'd recommend continue reading a lot... and then perhaps pick up a used rig if you are still unsure.
Welcome to your new addiction. "thumbsup"

RockBiter 02-20-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyh66 (Post 5152322)
Currently, Axial (and especially the SCX10) has the most aftermarket support.

The Vaterra Ascender is the new kid on the block and a really neato rig!

Kit's are always better imho for a new guy... that way you learn what goes where and can fix it when it breaks... because it will break.

All of them have weak points and strengths...

personally, I'd recommend continue reading a lot... and then perhaps pick up a used rig if you are still unsure.
Welcome to your new addiction. "thumbsup"

Your wallet is your limit, I love looks of the RC4WD but there is no way I could justify buying one, if you want to crawl crazy stuff look to the Ladder frame style that has a lot of flex like night crawler or AX10 or to bash terrain get a full cage rig that can kinda crawl or destroy shit

rcntncrawler 02-21-2015 11:02 AM

I've just been in the hobby for a couple of years. If I had to do it all over again, I would: go the the Regional section of this forum and find my state. I would then post a shout out to the guys in my area. I would find out where they crawl and when. Then, I would go watch them crawl and talk to them about rigs, upgrades, places to crawl, etc. I think that will help you a lot.