Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Noob questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Default Noob questions

Im not new to rc, and i hust started with crawling rcs a few months ago with a PS wraith. Its pretty fun ad now i have an exceed madtorque 1/8. I have a TON of questions about my cars but mostly my wraith. Which tires are Good? For like a little water, some mud and a lot of rocks and maybe even some rocks? I wont need wheels as i have the tr beadlocks from my wraith. Im thinking about snaggin a set of proline tsls from the lhs. I also need a new servi and alum. Servo linkage. I only have like 150-180 bucks so what would be the best servo? I want a bunch of torque but i dont need a lot, maybe like 250-275 oz/in. I also want to get more torque!!! I kind if want to keep the stock 20t in ut but if i need like a tekin 35 or 40t for better torque, ill ditch the stock one. Also, whats the best way to waterproof an ae2 esc? Anything else i should know?
crawllife14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Noob questions

For tires i use hb sedonas or hb rovers. They are both awesome rock tires but dont look very scale like the tsl's you mentioned. The sedonas seem to be a little wider. For a servo you can get something in the range you posted for alot less than $150 i think a hs7950th has like 496oz of torque and its like 130ish and is a awesome servo. Or if your on a budget you can get a savox servo for alot less. Probably 50ish some of the savox servos are loud tho. You really should pick up a bec with your servo there 20ish. If you do heavy crawling with the stock 20t youll probably burn it up. Its good for racing around and some mild crawling but if you push it hard on the rocks and get into situations tht require torque itll burn. As for waterproofing i think theres a thread on it if you check the search. Its not for the ae2 but theres alot on waterproofing.
crawlerwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #3

Ok thanks! I might just go with sedonas too cause my lhs has a set of those too
Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

Does anyone know which savox ones are loud? Im thinking about doing a waterproof one
Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I hear the 1230's chatter quite a bit. And I'm pretty sure their waterproof servos that advertise "steel gears" still have at least one brass gear... A lot of people run the Savox servos though and have good luck with them.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #6

Ok! I also need a new stinger bumber but i think my brother can make me one. If not, i might just buy a stock wraith bumper and cut it again. Im in love with my wraith!!! Future upgrades are: better servo 2.2 tsl xls Aluminum links and sterring links New aluminum panels A few miscellaneous screws that i need cause mine are stripping And maybe more! I would love to hear about more wraith stuff and upgrades that youd reccommend for my wraith! There needs to be more crawling people up here in minnesota! Also im getting a new motor, maybe a 55t! That might be too slow. Also i need new driveshafts and i could either go with mips or just buy replacement stock ones. They didnt snap, but i did snap the metal pin that holds it together by the yoke! #toomuchpowerina20tmotor
Old 03-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #7

So much metal pins and stuff break. Anyway i got my check today and its $120! So im getting tsls and a servo and if theres extra ill get steering links! Its gonna be sweet! I cant wait for tomorrow after work! Anyone know how much any brand of servo is that has a decent amount of torque? I might get a savox waterproof one. Im looking for waterproof
Old 03-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The Solar D772 servo is only around $20 and has great torque specs when hooked to a bec. Lots of people run them with little to no issues. I just pulled my hitec 5997tg out of my mad torque to test my new build and will be getting a Solar to replace it.
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

i have the axial 55t motor in my wraith and if you stick with a 2s battery its pretty slow but the stock ae2 esc can handle 3s. i was skeptical at 1st because the directions do not say it can handle 3s, but after connecting it to my castle link to verify that the the lipo cut off will work with a 3s pack i tried it. when you plug it in the esc beeps 3 times to verify that it recognizes the 3s pack. i have ran mine on 3s ever since without a issue. and it makes a world of a difference in power torque and speed regardless of which motor you got. but i highly recommend running a bec if you go to 3s. imo changing to 3s is one of the best upgrades. its under $50 for the 3s pack and a bec. you get a ton of performance from it no matter what your set up is. it made my wraith very close to twice as fast as it was on 2s.

Last edited by crawlerwon; 03-21-2015 at 10:21 AM.
crawlerwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawllife14 View Post
So much metal pins and stuff break. Anyway i got my check today and its $120! So im getting tsls and a servo and if theres extra ill get steering links! Its gonna be sweet! I cant wait for tomorrow after work! Anyone know how much any brand of servo is that has a decent amount of torque? I might get a savox waterproof one. Im looking for waterproof

The Savox waterproof have a brass gear. I striped out the gear in mine. I'm now running there SA-1231SG High Torque with no problems. You will need a BEC to get full power out of it. Also ditch the plastic steering linkage for something better. The best way to get low end power put a 90 tooth spur gear on it or a 17 tooth pinion on it.
Reddog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Hit the Holmes hobbies Web site for the servo and the motor. That will leave you with enough cash to pick up some tires. Also watch the classifieds here. But make no mistake Holmes hobbies will fix you up!
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Noob questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Few noob questions! Chisholm Newbie General 11 01-29-2014 07:47 PM
A few noob questions?? asian195 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 06-01-2012 10:05 PM
Noob questions 1700OW 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 10-16-2011 12:19 AM
Noob with questions kincer Axial SCX-10 13 12-22-2010 12:03 PM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM