Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: winch ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #1

Default winch ????

why do some people put a small working winch on there rc's? why not just go and pick it up? You have to use your hands to hook up and release the winch.
Slicks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: winch ????

Scale competitions often give you points for winching out instead of using the "Hand of G_d" as some people call it...aka picking up the truck and placing it down again. I would never use my winch for actual winching, but it's extra weight up front so I'm fine with it
-SCXD90- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

To expand on the first answer, some events, like the Recon G6 for example, strictly forbid hand of god. You may not need to winch exactly, but picking and flipping is a no go.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicks56 View Post
why do some people put a small working winch on there rc's? why not just go and pick it up? You have to use your hands to hook up and release the winch.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post
To expand on the first answer, some events, like the Recon G6 for example, strictly forbid hand of god. You may not need to winch exactly, but picking and flipping is a no go.
How do you flip it over if you don't have a which? I'm guessing it's just like the 1/1's, flip it once and you're done for that comp.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SCXD90- View Post
How do you flip it over if you don't have a which? I'm guessing it's just like the 1/1's, flip it once and you're done for that comp.
Hook a tow strap to it and pull it over. The righting of the vehicle is somewhat realistic even if the forces acting on the strap aren't.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post
Hook a tow strap to it and pull it over. The righting of the vehicle is somewhat realistic even if the forces acting on the strap aren't.
That makes sense. And I'm sure you could just pull it over with a second rig...right?

Sorry for all the questions, never participated in a G6, or in a comp at all for that matter...

Last edited by -SCXD90-; 03-25-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SCXD90- View Post
Scale competitions often give you points for winching out instead of using the "Hand of G_d" as some people call it...aka picking up the truck and placing it down again. I would never use my winch for actual winching, but it's extra weight up front so I'm fine with it
I was thinking it had something to do with comps.

But the cool factor alone... Priceless. This could be one of my first mods!
dortoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Any rc crawling competition penalizes for a "touch". As was said, with scale crawling and a working winch its a chance to right the truck with a small point/time penalty. As also was said, in some scale competitions a "touch" is a disqualification.

Not to mention winching is another skill altogether and a different concept with its own tips and tricks.

If you're just playing around with buddies, its just simple to kick it over. Nice to have the winching ability and prepared for anything, however.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #10

So you can "touch" the winch but not the truck. I'm thinking these rules were made by the people who make the winches. Don't get me wrong if the thing has to have lights a roof rack and a driver the next step has to be a working winch. For me I'm just going to go with the kick
Old 03-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #11

Quote:
So you can "touch" the winch but not the truck. I'm thinking these rules were made by the people who make the winches. Don't get me wrong if the thing has to have lights a roof rack and a driver the next step has to be a working winch. For me I'm just going to go with the kick
And the next step... Replace the steering servo and esc with steering wheel and gas pedal. Build RC driver. Then he can hook up the winch.
dortoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:

???

The rules made by the people who make the winches?

Are you at all "in to" the scale aspect of the hobby?

The entire aspect of the scale hobby and competitions is SCALE
To keep EVERYTHING as scale and realistic as possible.
You get points positively or negatively scored for realism, albeit interior added , how detailed the interior, scale items (jacks, spare tires, cooler chests etc...) to any other fixed scale details such as exterior mirrors, lighting systems, bumpers, winches, etc...
Including the realism of "no hand of God" (touching, lifting, moving the truck by hand) the use of a mounted winch is simply one more added scale realism to the sport, event and hobby.

I am guessing if you can't understand the whole aspect of using a scale winch on a scale vehicle.... then you would truly be thrown aback by the use of a pull-pal anchor or a double pulley block on the winch line which many commonly do use.

Then there's also the whole subject of following a line and points negatively accumulated for using reverse at all unless the specific line allows a specified reverse count.

"Scale" can be as far as anyone wants to personally take things.
Shooter shackles, air pressurized tires, functional steering wheels with servo steering, 2 & 3 speed transmissions, hydraulic steering systems... the options and customizations are nearly limitless.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-25-2015 at 11:39 PM.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #13

I now understand why I play with my toys in the field behind my buddies house. There are a lot of ways to enjoy this hobby. Weather it's pretending your scaler is a real car, or doing crazy stuff with your toy that you wouldn't do in your real car. We still share a common interest.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So you can "touch" the winch but not the truck.
Aren't technicalities annoying?

Personally, I have a winch and have never been to a scale comp... In fact, I have only been trailing with people other than my dad about 3-4 times. Nevertheless, I rarely "HOG" his truck or mine if I think a winch will get us out.

I will even winch when just screwing around in my backyard on my own... Is it often a PITA? Yes. Is it time consuming? Yes. Is it pointless when no-one else is around to judge or care? Yes. Is it scale so I do it anyway? Pretty much...
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:27 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I've never winched or seen one on an RC, but I think it sounds interesting. Just another skill you'd need to master, all part of the fun. You'd have to use your thinker to figure out how to use the winch to draw you out of the situation successfully, just like on my ATV.

And with touching it, well, you touch the real winch on a 1:1, so I see no difference there.
mwe-maxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Why? It's just plain fun!!
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I'd honestly just buy a fake one or buy one that someone else broke and don't need it anymore. If gets me scale points, I'm all about it. They sell cheap ones (non-functional) for like $15. But I would reccommend buying the $45 one to have and use, just in case you ever do need one. Better to have one and not need one than not have one and need it....
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Winching yourself or others is one of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby. Learning to do it correctly is an art unto itself, and something I practice all the time. I've had people watch me winch through a particular section and just stand there with their mouths open saying "holy s**t, I would have never thought of doing that!". Try it, you might just like it....
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ever been offroading in a 1:1....

Again, as been said, it's a scale thing, you wouldn't understand until you experience it.

And once you do witness or participate in a "scale" rescue with winches and snatch blocks and all the other equipments, it takes the scale aspect to a whole new level even if it takes half an hour to unwedge a truck from a bind, bad spot, rollover or any other mishap!

I just plain love it!
Oldskoolcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

think im going to go and hook my servo winch back up lol
MCW24 is offline   Reply With Quote

winch ???? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
impulse winch buy, rc4wd, custom bumper and winch pull test evan03 Axial Wraith 13 03-10-2013 09:15 PM