Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie just bought Vaterra SlickRock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #1

Default Newbie just bought Vaterra SlickRock

Hello everybody.
My friend has got me into RC.
So far I have a Losi Micro SCT, A Losi mini LST LTd Edition, and my brand new Vaterra Slick rock.

Here are my beginner thoughts on it:

PRos:
I love the smaller 1/18 size. I can build a course in my back yard without taking over the whole yard
I can compete against my buddy with his Losi mini crawler
I love the look of it.
Battery life is great

Cons:
The routing of the wiring "out of the box" was kinda silly, you couldn't even open the battery tray.
The battery tray lid was impossible to snap shut. I have fixed both issues

A couple questions:
1. Does it make sense and is it possible to bind either the Losi mini to the Vaterra Transmitter or vise versa, just so I am not maintaining 2 transmitters?

2. Not that I am ready yet to pursue modifications or upgrades, but when I am, what would be the initial most effective things to do? I'm not thrilled with the shocks, maybe those?

I'm loving the whole Zen strategy of the crawler thing -planning out your moves, the slow methodical science of it. I also like just "trail exploring", driving along, seeing what you encounter, and climbing over it!
http://youtu.be/4YGQiiwcuDU

Last edited by The Sparrow; 04-12-2015 at 08:59 AM.
The Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Newbie just bought Vaterra SlickRock

RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech - Losi Mini-Rock Crawler at RCCrawler.com

Slickrock uses most, if not all the losi parts. The trans are 1-1 bound, so no you can't do that. If you want 1 trans for 2 vehicles, you would need something with model memory. The slickrock has a spektrum rx in it, so you could get something like the dx4c, or try to find a dx3c used. I believe the losi also has a spektrum, but don't quote me on that one. I recommend going through that link I provided, and spending time reading there, those guys run em, and build em, they have probably already gone through what you want to do with your new crawler.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech - Losi Mini-Rock Crawler at RCCrawler.com

Slickrock uses most, if not all the losi parts. The trans are 1-1 bound, so no you can't do that. If you want 1 trans for 2 vehicles, you would need something with model memory. The slickrock has a spektrum rx in it, so you could get something like the dx4c, or try to find a dx3c used. I believe the losi also has a spektrum, but don't quote me on that one. I recommend going through that link I provided, and spending time reading there, those guys run em, and build em, they have probably already gone through what you want to do with your new crawler.
Ah, thanks! Thats why I couldn't find a Sickrock specific area
Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

Another thing. Experiencing some difficulties with my Losi Mini LST - stripped differentials.

Has the Slickrock drive train proven itself to be stable and reliable?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

The losi mini crawler drive train isn't to bad. People are putting metal lockers in them and maybe some metal gears. But other than that they're pretty solid. If you run the stock motor you should be fine. It's when you starting adding power and a modified/aftermarket motor that things start to crap out.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you wanted to use one transmitter you would need a TX with multi model memory would be easier to stick with spectrum as they will bind with both your RC's. cheapest option would be a DX3C if you can still find one or a DX4C.
FesterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
... If you want 1 trans for 2 vehicles, you would need something with model memory.
I am not sure this is true. I used the inexpensive transmitter that came with my Losi Night Crawler for two different crawlers. As long as the receiver is compatible with the transmitter, it should bind up.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

OK, I know the dx2 that comes with the slickrock is 1-1. I use one for my wraith. As far as losi branded trans, I have no idea, I have 2 with my trekker and rally, but haven't used them for anything else.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #9

Thanks guys. The losi mini has stripped another diff gear, So I am pretty much giving up on throwing good money after bad. So my issue has kind of disappeared too, (until I maybe buy a buggy for zooming around ;) )

Right now I'm gonna focus more of my energy (and $) on my new slickrock
Old 04-29-2015, 06:29 AM   #10

Ok, now that I have played a bit.....

I think I'm going somewhere between crawling and scaler.
I want to do some visual customizations. I've already installed the optional lightbar. Next I'm going to add a windshield, and some body panels, and probably and open-able hatch in the back to cover the rear/battery, and provide a rack for a tow chain and other scale accessories.

A couple of questions though:
1. Its not in my budget yet to get new beadlock rims and softer tires, but I think a little weight could help a lot. As the tires are glued on, I was wondering on the best way to add some weight to the tires/axles?

2. When the front of the truck is pressed down, the steering servo rubs against the body 'bar' slightly. Its not a huge deal, but is there an easy fix?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:54 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

1. Sticky weights. Like what they use to balance real auto tires.
2. I bought a used one and they cut the hood panel back to the bar and it clears the servo just fine at full articulation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
cotyhamlett is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie just bought Vaterra SlickRock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new vaterra Slickrock gotmike General Crawlers 8 06-07-2015 02:53 PM
Vaterra SlickRock motor rcflyrj General Crawlers 5 03-01-2015 04:58 PM
let's see your vaterra slickrock southernoregontoyota Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 12-02-2014 12:22 PM
Vaterra Slickrock - Carbon johninderby 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 05-23-2014 08:39 PM