Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie Wanting Advice for Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Default Newbie Wanting Advice for Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit

Edit: I went the Newbie Forum route, because that's what I am. If this would be more appropriate in the VTH specific forum, I apologize.

Hello RCCrawler! My friends seem to have drawn me into this hobby. One owns three Axial vehicles, the SCX10, the Wraith, and the Exo. The other owns a Yeti. When I was contemplating which car to get, I settled on a Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit, as the title suggests. These are the electronics that I've settled on, so far.

Motor & ESC: RC Gear Shop Motor System
I stumbled on this brand after reading a BigSuidRC review on a 4550kV setup. I chose to go with the 3900kV version of the combo because I want the option of using a 3s LiPo battery later on, should I so choose. Also, the servo, I've found, is likely a Hobbywing, rebranded, and I like the programming capabilities offered. Of course, alternative suggestions are always welcome.

Radio Transmitter/Receiver: Spektrum DX4C w/ SR410
I really liked the digital LDC display. I had read that the original radio supplied with the VTH RTR had top adjustment knobs that often got bumped or moved in transport or storage. This radio seems to have none of those drawbacks.

Steering Servo: Hitec HS-646WP or Spektrum A6150
Shifting Servo: Hitec HS-5245MG
Originally I was going to get a HS-225MG for the shifting servo, as it's a drop-in replacement, but because of the radio set I'm getting, the receiver requires all of the servos to be digital. Ergo, the HS-5245MG.

I also plan on replacing the cantilevered shocks with and upright mod. The only two I found are BMRC and GCM Racing. I've heard that a couple people active on the RCCrawler Forums do make custom options, such as Derwood -- However, Derwood Designs is no longer producing, so that isn't viable. Does anyone know of any other options? I do like how both the BMRC and the GCM design allow for replacing the sloppy stock steering with bellcrank steering, which I also plan on outfitting on my kit. I've read that the Traxxis bellcrank steering is somewhat iffy, so I was wondering what viable aftermarket options are.

I'm welcome to feedback and suggestions.

Thank you!
MrFoxwind

Last edited by MrFoxwind; 04-15-2015 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Fixing typo.
MrFoxwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Newbie Wanting Advice for Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit

The only thing I notice right off the bat, is that while it looks like the ESC is sensored, the motor is not. So low speed crawling will be marginal with that ESC / motor combo.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Willis View Post
The only thing I notice right off the bat, is that while it looks like the ESC is sensored, the motor is not. So low speed crawling will be marginal with that ESC / motor combo.
As I understand it, the ESC actually isn't a sensored unit. One of the slots goes to the receiver, and the other slot is split between the power switch and the optional programming card.

Thank you, however, for your input.

Edit: So, I just came back from my friends place, and we both came to the conclusion that I don't want the SRS4210 for the Twin Hammers. I plan on making a lot of use out of the 2-speed transmission, and with the AVC enabled, it takes up all four channels. Instead I'll get the Spektrum DX4C w/ SR410.

Last edited by MrFoxwind; 04-15-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Extra information
Old 04-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've been hamering on my TH for about 6 monthes now.

The only really good bellcrank kit, IMO, is the St. Erie. He also offers an upright shock conversion. They are produced in low quantity batches, so if you want one send him a PM and get on the waiting list. I had to wait about a month for mine. Well worth the wait since the stock sliding rack is the only real design flaw of the platform. It is somehow super sloppy, and still binds badly at the same time. The St. Erie rack is as close to zero slop as you can get, very smooth, and actually allows you to control the truck at higher speeds without the tires flopping all around.

If you plan on doing an real crawling you'll want a sensored motor. I know they are more money, but you just can't get your creep on with a sensorless motor.

Your going to want a stonger steering servo. Since the TH has no servo saver, and it going decently fast enough, your going to quickly destroy the gears in that Hitec servo. I'm running a Hitec 7950 and I've still broken it twice. Try to pick something with at least 300 oz/in and it will last much longer.

Almost any mini servo with 40+oz/in is plenty to shift the two speed. Make sure you polish the "shift shaft" with emory cloth where it goes through the transmission case so that it will shift smoothly.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
The only really good bellcrank kit, IMO, is the St. Erie. He also offers an upright shock conversion. They are produced in low quantity batches, so if you want one send him a PM and get on the waiting list. I had to wait about a month for mine. Well worth the wait since the stock sliding rack is the only real design flaw of the platform. It is somehow super sloppy, and still binds badly at the same time. The St. Erie rack is as close to zero slop as you can get, very smooth, and actually allows you to control the truck at higher speeds without the tires flopping all around.
Yeah, I've heard really really good things of his. If I recall correctly, his steering mod by itself runs about $40 bucks, which is similar in price to name brands, like Traxxas' and Vaterra's. I do realize that they fit particularly well with the GCM Shock Mount, though. I'm not really sure if I want the GCM Shock Mounts though. Such high shocks might not match the profile I'm going for. We'll see, I suppose.

Quote:
If you plan on doing an real crawling you'll want a sensored motor. I know they are more money, but you just can't get your creep on with a sensorless motor.
I don't know how much real crawling I'll get into, to be honest.

Quote:
Your going to want a stonger steering servo. Since the TH has no servo saver, and it going decently fast enough, your going to quickly destroy the gears in that Hitec servo. I'm running a Hitec 7950 and I've still broken it twice. Try to pick something with at least 300 oz/in and it will last much longer.
At which voltage? Are we talking 4.8V, 6.0V or 7.4V? I did also plan on getting a servo saver horn and placing it on that puppy.

Quote:
Almost any mini servo with 40+oz/in is plenty to shift the two speed. Make sure you polish the "shift shaft" with emory cloth where it goes through the transmission case so that it will shift smoothly.
Will do, thanks.

Newbie Wanting Advice for Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Vaterra Twin Hammers KIT Lentsnh2012 Vaterra Twin Hammers 27 04-10-2015 10:34 PM
Vaterra twin hammers kit vs axial wraith Mikael General Crawlers 33 02-26-2015 03:08 PM
Electronics for vaterra twin hammers kit? Mikael Vaterra Twin Hammers 9 11-16-2014 08:23 PM
LetsGoMuddin's Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit LetsGoMuddin Vaterra Twin Hammers 12 09-03-2014 03:35 PM