Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to crawling - got an SCX10 power wagon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #1

Default New to crawling - got an SCX10 power wagon

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to crawling. I've been wanting one for a long time, so I finally pulled the trigger and bought an SCX10. The power wagon version (ram PW body). It will be here tomorrow.

I also ordered 2.2 wheels from LockedUpRC. Those guys were awesome, they helped me out a lot and guided me in my wheel selection also ordered some tires.

As soon my my rig gets here I'll snap some pics.

Here is a picture of my real rig
FB_IMG_1431350175769 by Derrick Tackett, on Flickr

Just wanted to say hi, this forum has a ton of really cool info and I've already learned a ton.
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to crawling - got an SCX10 power wagon

Welcome aboard. As you have already learned, you will now be excited to spend all of your money on ridiculous things for a toy truck.

2.2s on a Dodge, going for this look?

I kid only because it seems everyone goes for the 2.2s on the SCX10 at first but then end up back at 1.9s.

What tires did you go with?
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

Yea, I've had a few other RC trucks in years past. T-MAXX and things like that, well aware of spending coin on a toy.

Axial BFGoodrich Krawler T/A KX are the tires I bought. I'll keep the 1.9s, but I felt they looked too dinky. Who knows. A little more ground clearance never hurt anyone haha.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Welcome to the form besththaticouldo the only thing that I would suggest for when you your truck is a little lift kit to clear the tires and the full aluminum link kit will come in hand when trying to crawl in those hard spots.
humve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Oh, this is nothing like owning a TMaxx. Those require lots of money to keep from falling apart or breaking when you hit things at 35 MPH which is understandable.

When I say ridiculous things I mean like a tiny cooler full of tiny beers to go in the bed of your truck or a tiny toolbox full of tiny tools that serve no purpose. It will become acceptable to you to spend $20-30 on something so completely useless that only those on this forum will understand. We understand why doll accessories glued to a truck is awesome, the importance of a shoe lace turned into a tow strap, and that it was necessary to spend two hours cutting up all of your wife's/girlfriend's/daughter's hair ties to make scale bungie cords: RCC is here for you brother.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by humve View Post
Welcome to the form besththaticouldo the only thing that I would suggest for when you your truck is a little lift kit to clear the tires and the full aluminum link kit will come in hand when trying to crawl in those hard spots.
I actually ordered that already. See I read before I post, it helps usually lol. Fully prepared to trim the body when I need it. I do want aluminum links, any suggestion on which ones to get? I think links and shocks are going to be some of my first mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Oh, this is nothing like owning a TMaxx. Those require lots of money to keep from falling apart or breaking when you hit things at 35 MPH which is understandable.

When I say ridiculous things I mean like a tiny cooler full of tiny beers to go in the bed of your truck or a tiny toolbox full of tiny tools that serve no purpose. It will become acceptable to you to spend $20-30 on something so completely useless that only those on this forum will understand. We understand why doll accessories glued to a truck is awesome, the importance of a shoe lace turned into a tow strap, and that it was necessary to spend two hours cutting up all of your wife's/girlfriend's/daughter's hair ties to make scale bungie cords: RCC is here for you brother.
Bahahahaha yea, I am pretty excited to get a crawler. That's for sure. Should be here tomorrow. Wife said do you really need more toys? I said, sure do.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE

Bahahahaha yea, I am pretty excited to get a crawler. That's for sure. Should be here tomorrow. Wife said do you really need more toys? I said, sure do.
[/QUOTE]

you tell her. We never have enough toys lol. Welcome to the addiction.
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

I got my SCX, been enjoying just thrashing around in my backyard right now. Some things are obvious. 2.2s are way bigger than 1.9s. The 2.2s are fun though, trimmed Cherokees are awesome too.

2015-05-22 21.38.09 by Derrick Tackett, on Flickr

Grabbed a cherokee body and some paint today. Going to look into links and some other stuff.

Last edited by besthaticouldo; 05-23-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

You need to look in to a BEC.

When a BEC is required
Reddog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog95 View Post
You need to look in to a BEC.

When a BEC is required
Where can I get a good BEC? I'm still not 100% sure what they do...or why I need one. Other than everyone saying I do.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
Where can I get a good BEC? I'm still not 100% sure what they do...or why I need one. Other than everyone saying I do.
The green letters are a link. If you left click them you will get your answers.

Castle Creations BEC 10A Switching Regulator
Reddog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Get a heyok bec, plug and play. Or get a castle, and castle link, and install yourself. Those 2.2s will shred the crap out of that body. I was running PL tsl`s, which are the same height as the ripsaws, and it ripped the lexan. So I ended up trimming quite a bit out of the wells and fenders. If its all stock, get ready to burn out the servo. I would run min of 450 oz for 2.2s, and aluminum wheels, like 500+. The steering links are like soggy noodles. The suspension links too. If you leave the 1.9s on, everything will survive a lot longer. And it won`t look like a monster truck. The traxxas stampede, or proline mt make rerally good monster trucks.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
Get a heyok bec, plug and play. Or get a castle, and castle link, and install yourself. Those 2.2s will shred the crap out of that body. I was running PL tsl`s, which are the same height as the ripsaws, and it ripped the lexan. So I ended up trimming quite a bit out of the wells and fenders. If its all stock, get ready to burn out the servo. I would run min of 450 oz for 2.2s, and aluminum wheels, like 500+. The steering links are like soggy noodles. The suspension links too. If you leave the 1.9s on, everything will survive a lot longer. And it won`t look like a monster truck. The traxxas stampede, or proline mt make rerally good monster trucks.
Yeah, I trimmed quite a bit of the body already. That's ok, I only ever intended to thrash this body anyway. I bought a cherokee body to build with and will probably run the 1.9s on there.

I ordered new links and steering link today.

I may sell the 2.2s and run some larger 1.9s with the Cherokee body. I don't mind trimming, I trimmed a lot on my real cherokee haha.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Once you get to a point of trimming it looks ridiculous. Like cutting fenders out completely. I also had the power thing and didn't really care, its a weak body especially where the bed ties in. And I don't pike Mopar
Old 05-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
Once you get to a point of trimming it looks ridiculous. Like cutting fenders out completely. I also had the power thing and didn't really care, its a weak body especially where the bed ties in. And I don't pike Mopar
Yea, I'm looking at 1.9 wheels and tires right now, the ripsaws that come with the kit are really small.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'm biased. Pl tsl's work great for my rigs. I should be getting a set of treps with ci foams on their 2.2s soon. Different setup than I'm used to
Old 05-28-2015, 06:38 AM   #17

I ended up going with the same tires I have on my 2.2s that I just bought.

Axial Racing - 1.9 BFGoodrich Krawler T/A - R35 Compound (2pcs)

I like the look and they get pretty good reviews.

New to crawling - got an SCX10 power wagon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 power wagon build Cowboy6080 Axial SCX-10 84 07-01-2015 09:32 PM
SCX10 Power Wagon Project ranger4xlt Axial SCX-10 56 06-09-2015 11:59 AM
SCX10 Power Wagon! WhatsInYourHead Axial SCX-10 16 02-19-2015 11:09 AM
Power wagon scx10! 509hooligan Axial SCX-10 3 05-03-2013 05:59 AM