Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Default Help

Bought a brushess motor but really have no good working knowledge on installing it. It doesn't look terribly hard but I am hearing that the gears can get messed up if not installed correctly. I'm wondering if there is anyone in the East Texas area that is good at installation or knows of a reputable business that will do it. Or if there is a video that shows installation somewhere on the net, that would be good too. I couldn't find one.

Last edited by RC House; 06-27-2015 at 07:00 PM.
RC House is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You can do it hit up u tube there are tons of videos on how to!
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

Default Re: Help

Thanks for the encouragement! It's switching from a brush to brushless so there are some apparent adaptations that need to happen, definitely more wires!
RC House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

like snap on boy said "you can do it". setting the gear mesh is the same as doing a brushed motor and there's only 1 extra wire that goes to the motor from the esc. just read the instructions carefully and go 1 step at a time. if you have problems you can post them here and someone will likely chime in to help. and it always helps if you list the brand and model you are wanting help with.

Last edited by crawlerwon; 06-28-2015 at 08:17 AM.
crawlerwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The mechanical installation of a brushless motor is easy, but there are some things you need to look out for:
1. For a crawler, you definitely want to stick with sensored brushless (as opposed to sensorless). Sensorless brushless motors tend to be quite jerky at low speeds (called cogging), which isn't good for a crawler. If the motor you bought is sensorless, I'd suggest returning it (if you still can) or selling it to get a sensored motor.
2. If your ESC doesn't support brushless motors, you'll need a new ESC that supports sensored brushless. The Castle MMP is excellent, and Holmes Hobbies has a new ESC that supports sensored brushless. There are also plenty of other options, but be sure to get one that has an adjustable drag brake setting.
3. Sensored brushless motors have 3 terminals (marked A, B and C on both the motor and ESC) as well as sensor ports to which you connect the sensor cable. The three terminals get connected just as you'd expect (A->A, B->B, C->C), and the sensor plugs snap in very easily (the plug is the same on both ends, and there's only one way to fit the sensor plug into the port).
4. Depending on the brushless motor you've chosen and your rig, you may need to change your gearing. To be safe, it's better to start with a smaller pinion to make sure you don't have any heat issues and then gradually work your way up if you want more speed.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote