RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Axial Wraith Spawn vs. Yeti for FPV platform (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/539225-axial-wraith-spawn-vs-yeti-fpv-platform.html)

jti76 06-29-2015 12:29 AM

Axial Wraith Spawn vs. Yeti for FPV platform

I'm planning to expand my FPV hobby to cars and so far options are the two in the title. Axial Wraith Spawn or Yeti. Use would (probably) mostly be trail riding and some minor rock crawling using 3s lipo. What makes the selection difficult is that I would like to do occasional LOS bashing too.

With Yeti I'm wondering if you can go slow enough. Driving through camera would require quite accurate controls and going really slow when things get tricky. For the bashing part Yeti would be perfect.

For Wraith the crawling shouldn't be a problem, but with that the question is about the bashing. I'm worried it's too slow too keep it interesting.

Any comments about either concerns?

redsawacs 06-29-2015 03:16 PM

Re: Axial Wraith Spawn vs. Yeti for FPV platform

I would suggest that the Wraith is going to be your best bet. You're going to run into limitations with either one you choose but nothing that can't be overcome with a little more money.

Yeti - fast and fun! Requires minimal upgrading to perform consistently without breakage. Difficult to use as a rock crawler with the open front differential, heavy weight and high speed motor configuration. Can be upgraded to a brushless motor system. (Sensorless for crawling and speed) Also available is a 2 speed transmission and hardened gears.

Wraith - Durable and fun! Not nerely as fast. Made for the trails and rocks. Brushed motors are PERFECT for going slow and take the added voltage of larger batteries for going fast. Rock Racer, Crawler, basher....I think it will do the J.O.B. Certain parts aren't durable for bashing like the front bumper and some folks have trouble with gears breaking (same gears in the yeti). Can be upgraded to a brushless motor system for even faster operations. Sensorless for crawling and speed. Can be outfitted with a 2 speed transmission and hardened gears.

Either one can be upgraded to do all 3 areas of performance but I'm not sure one will do all 3 out of the box.

Yeti - basher and racer, not crawler
Wraith - Crawler and basher, but now racer

jti76 06-30-2015 11:09 AM

Thanks for the comments!

I decided to go with Wraith Spawn. Mostly because of the slow speed capabilities for FPV. After watching endless videos from YT about Yeti, they all seemed to power over obstacles with speed. Not something that would work for this use.

And now the loooong wait for the package to arrive... :)

alexchen86 06-30-2015 01:02 PM

Good choice either way. Both rigs can support a GoPro mounting system inside the interior but of course the Wraith would have a much bigger interior space to work with. The Yeti would be cool too because that POV would be that of a desert/ultra 4 rig.

The Yeti XL with a FPV?! That would be the way I'd do it if I had the cash for it lol! Even watching Traxxas Summit FPV gives you an idea....now imagine that on a much more robust and realistic performing rig that can crawl as well as bash!

jti76 06-30-2015 11:05 PM

So far at least the plan is to put in just a standard board camera and a vtx. I do have a Mobius and couple of GoPro's in case I get carried away, though (that's what usually happens :ror:). But I think the board cam will be there no matter what. I've only been doing FPV with quads and wings so far, and the latency of recording hd cams has been an issue. With this rig, it probably doesn't play such a big role.

Hopefully inside the cabin gives enough viewing angle for driving, plan B is to mount the camera on top of the roof, from there I should be able to see the front wheels and whats in front of them. That would just require making some sort of rollcage for the camera too.