Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Chassis mounted servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Chassis mounted servo

I was looking to get the l3 chassis mounted servo kit but I was wondering how good it would work with a lift kit

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
bstewart92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Default Re: Chassis mounted servo

If that is the simple plate moving the servo to the chassis that I saw on google .... than the servo is mounted in the chassis but there is no trackbar (aka panhard bar). You are going to have bumpsteer and going to have to limit your end points severely so that you are not pushing the servo past them and ruining the servo. It's all made worse but the fact that the servo arm is also swinging in a different arc than the knuckles.

A decent CMS kit needs a trackbar setup to match the draglink in both length and arc plane. That also allows you to run 3 links behind the axle in stead of 4 triangulated ones ... which is better for a true, modern solid axle 1:1 style steering setup. So a decent kit should have a provision for a "3 link" as well.

A great CMS kit would go a step further and have the servo arm match the knuckles in terms of arc and beef up the panhard mount on the axle.

A super awesome fantastic CMS kit would also allow for some adjustment for suspension height, wheelbase, ackerman...

...Unfortunately, that super awesome fantastic kit is not yet available to the public.

But we are packaging them now.

Last edited by Locked Up; 08-28-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #3

The one I was looking at had the Panhard bar and I just used the lift to raise it a little they also make a steering linkage kit for the cms I just didn't know if the lift would effect it that much

Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #4

This is the kit I was looking

at

Old 08-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I looked into that kit long ago when I first got my SCX10, never hear anyone say anything good about it so I stayed away.

I'm curious to see what that incredibly well placed post from Locked Up is all about.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Do yourself a favor and skip that one. I know it's attractive at the price point but a bad CMS kit can really cause some issues. Stick with the VP or SSD and the newer RC4WD looks suspiciously like the old Hand Bros, which is coveted by many.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
...Unfortunately, that super awesome fantastic kit is not yet available to the public.

But we are packaging them now.
Wait, what!?!?! Are you holding out on us "public" folks?
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #8

That's what I'm wondering haha I'm confused

Old 08-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstewart92 View Post
I was looking to get the l3 chassis mounted servo kit but I was wondering how good it would work with a lift kit

how high you lifting it? the higher the lift, the more issues you will have with a CMS....why lift it anyway? mud truck? monster truck?
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

Not much I've got it to where is flexes pretty good and I lifted it just enough to keep it from rubbing

Old 08-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #11

I'll get a pic of the servo when I get home to show how much the lift is

Old 08-28-2015, 06:41 PM   #12

As a bit of a noob to crawling, what exactly does moving the steering servo accomplish?
oldbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

^^ Its just for a more scale look so you dont see the servo on the axle. But it actually puts more "sprung" weight on the truck and raises the center or gravity as well. Slight trade-off.

Seems like most people who buy a cheaply designed cms wind up fighting to make it work right. Save yourself the headache (and possibly $$) and get a good kit like the ones mentioned above. -- Or wait for the soon-coming release from Locked Up???
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:

at ...

With a panhard is better than not ... but....

It still has the issue of the servo arm swinging in a different plane than the knuckles. The problem there is that the arcs of the panhard and drag link are then changing constantly in relation to each other, which leads to crappy endpoints, bumpsteer and just bad things happening.

Also, there is no provision to adjust the mounting points. So the higher you lift the truck the more up/down your panhard and trackbar will be, which will work the servo harder as well as cause more than necessary axle swing.

For those that don't know what I mean ...Axle swing being the side to side movement of the axle when viewed from the front. All CMS kits with a pan hard will have a little and thats OK. Having to much can cause tires to get up into chassis or poke out in weird ways.

There was a lot of work done to the now shop SCX10 with an original Hand Brothers kit to address things like lift. It's actually the inspiration behind our kit because we know most of you don't fit in a a single box so to speak.

For those wondering.... yes, the kit we are working on is going to be pretty freaking awesome. 2 Team guys have them in hand now and we have just a few more parts to finish up before they are available to yall.

Sorry for the tease but I just can't stand to see someone spend money on something that is not going to work. Suspension geometry and CMS kits are something we are passionate about and we really want to give you guys a kick butt option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Wait, what!?!?! Are you holding out on us "public" folks?
Yup.

But not for too long, I assure you.

Last edited by Locked Up; 08-29-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #15

Ok that makes sense now I'm interested in seeing this product when it's available

Old 08-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #16
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

at

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledEggs View Post
^^ Its just for a more scale look so you dont see the servo on the axle. But it actually puts more "sprung" weight on the truck and raises the center or gravity as well. Slight trade-off.

Seems like most people who buy a cheaply designed cms wind up fighting to make it work right. Save yourself the headache (and possibly $$) and get a good kit like the ones mentioned above. -- Or wait for the soon-coming release from Locked Up???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
With a panhard is better than not ... but....

It still has the issue of the servo arm swinging in a different plane than the knuckles. The problem there is that the arcs of the panhard and drag link are then changing constantly in relation to each other, which leads to crappy endpoints, bumpsteer and just bad things happening.

Also, there is no provision to adjust the mounting points. So the higher you lift the truck the more up/down your panhard and trackbar will be, which will work the servo harder as well as cause more than necessary axle swing.

For those that don't know what I mean ...Axle swing being the side to side movement of the axle when viewed from the front. All CMS kits with a pan hard will have a little and thats OK. Having to much can cause tires to get up into chassis or poke out in weird ways.

There was a lot of work done to the now shop SCX10 with an original Hand Brothers kit to address things like lift. It's actually the inspiration behind our kit because we know most of you don't fit in a a single box so to speak.

For those wondering.... yes, the kit we are working on is going to be pretty freaking awesome. 2 Team guys have them in hand now and we have just a few more parts to finish up before they are available to yall.

Sorry for the tease but I just can't stand to see someone spend money on something that is not going to work. Suspension geometry and CMS kits are something we are passionate about and we really want to give you guys a kick butt option!

Yup.

But not for too long, I assure you.
true with the trade-off parts well here (at my place) there are not much option available in the market.. so I have to be satisfied with what available

I installed a GPM CMS, lower the rig with aftermarket add-on suspension mount

and yes it just hide the servo from view, without any additional benefit.. unlike the aluminium stering link or the lower aluminium link etc
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw View Post
true with the trade-off parts well here (at my place) there are not much option available in the market..

We ship to Indonesia.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

The l3 cms is a joke much like all their parts ...no offense to them but I've had one and a few other parts they make .... Fitment is terrible it binds horribly with the factory 90mm shocks let alone 100-110 .... Terrible bump steer and end points ... Personally ALL "locked up rc" parts are machined well look great , feel great ,smell great , and when you're hungry I'm sure they taste great too although I don't advise eating them without a good dental/health plan ... Basically the lesson here today on " PURPSTREET" is don't waste the money on eBay and wait to buy from a reputable vendor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purptr8r View Post
The l3 cms is a joke much like all their parts ...no offense to them but I've had one and a few other parts they make .... Fitment is terrible it binds horribly with the factory 90mm shocks let alone 100-110 .... Terrible bump steer and end points ... Personally ALL "locked up rc" parts are machined well look great , feel great ,smell great , and when you're hungry I'm sure they taste great too although I don't advise eating them without a good dental/health plan ... Basically the lesson here today on " PURPSTREET" is don't waste the money on eBay and wait to buy from a reputable vendor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x2.... well said!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #20
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

And Boom:
Pro CMS

Chassis mounted servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chassis mounted servo lurchy Axial Wraith 18 01-03-2015 05:39 AM