Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newb question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Newb question?

Well everyone is a newb one time or another. I'm not new to rc but I am brand new to crawling. I went to a state park with a fellow racer who happened to have a spare rig. What a blast. I'm hooked. Looking to get something but don't have a mint to spend. I've pretty much decided on a tube chassis. I saw one from EmeryworX that I liked. Wondering if I'd benifit from using scx10 axle type or would wraith wheel base be better ?
Ironhead1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Newb question?

Have you looked at the Axial Wraith, has a tube chassis, and way more after market parts? A word of warning, no matter what your rig costs, you will end up spending way more on after market upgrades!!! You said you are a long time RCer, so I'm probably not telling you anything new.
BY the way welcome to the site.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I don't know what the terrain is like around you but I use that as a gauge to determine what type of rig to get. Something based on the Wraith with 2.2 wheels will be big and requires very challenging terrain to keep it interesting. Around me in NC, a Wraith just runs over 80% of what I would encounter with little effort. You can't go wrong with a SCX10 based rig with 1.9 wheels for a good all around vehicle.

If you do go SCX10 axles, skip the Axial housings and go straight for the SSD housings. They are stronger, look better, and are just generally more awesome.

SSD D60 Axle Case for SCX10 (1)
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

if you dont have a bunch of money up front, building one from the ground up is a very real and good choice. Ive set out to spend about 200 every month (its been more like 300) to build a comp rig. I am in month 2 and the only thing really left to get sorted are the transmission and the electronics.

Depending on what you want to do you could do much more with less money than i did. I ended up building something way beyond what my needs will be and its almost done. Check out my build thread in my sig if you want to see what i have going on.

Good luck!
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Towerhobbies has $30 rebates on some of their Axial products like the RTR SCX10 power wagon or Wraith spawn kit (no electronics). The Wraith Spawn is $249.99 after rebate and then you can use coupon codes for some additional discount.
TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote

Newb question? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newb With A Question SpecE30Racer Axial Wraith 2 02-07-2012 08:09 PM
Newb Question buzzbe97 Axial SCX-10 1 02-06-2011 09:21 AM
not a newb but have a question of newb stature Brandon88 Electronics 11 04-14-2010 08:53 PM
Newb question to beat all newb questions vinster888 Newbie General 3 12-29-2009 07:24 PM