Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Is there a crawler/racer hybrid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

Default Is there a crawler/racer hybrid?

Hi, I'm Jeff . New here .
Years ago my first crawler was the Axial AX10 kit. Loved it to the end of time! But a few kids later, and time was limited so I got rid of it. My kids are older now, and one has a Traxxas Slash, she loves it and wants me to get one . But my heart belongs to crawling. So my question is: what kind of mix or hybrid can I find to crawl with and race and jump against a slash? Thanks!
420ClubCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #2

Default Re: Is there a crawler/racer hybrid?

I try to do both with my twin hammers. It's ifs suspension though. So it's only okay at crawling. But it has a two speed I think you would like something with a high and low gear. There are others that may be better I'm just getting back into rc myself

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
badchevy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

This is what I've been trying to accomplish, to a degree, with my Wraith and I'm finding I usually need to pick one over the other. Requirements for good crawling like solid axles, big tires and lots of clearance don't bode well for going fast with any sort of control. I've tried to make mods that can be tuned for either mode. I got the Gmade piggyback shocks so I can lower the ride height and add damping for more control, sway bars that can be disconnected when I need articulation for crawling, and a two speed tranny for, well, two speeds! I prefer crawling and conquering terrain that should not be traversed but there's still enough speed to make it interesting or to show off. It's not going to beat a slash any time soon but it will go just about anywhere.

If you prefer crawling start with a solid axle rig like a Wraith or go with IFS in a Twin Hammers or Yeti for speed and mod from there.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Talking Re: Is there a crawler/racer hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
This is what I've been trying to accomplish, to a degree, with my Wraith and I'm finding I usually need to pick one over the other. Requirements for good crawling like solid axles, big tires and lots of clearance don't bode well for going fast with any sort of control. I've tried to make mods that can be tuned for either mode. I got the Gmade piggyback shocks so I can lower the ride height and add damping for more control, sway bars that can be disconnected when I need articulation for crawling, and a two speed tranny for, well, two speeds! I prefer crawling and conquering terrain that should not be traversed but there's still enough speed to make it interesting or to show off. It's not going to beat a slash any time soon but it will go just about anywhere.

If you prefer crawling start with a solid axle rig like a Wraith or go with IFS in a Twin Hammers or Yeti for speed and mod from there.
Like Mike said a yeti, it is a good hybrid. I love my yeti XL it is bigger but I built it for more racing than crawling, but its still a rock racer.
Jullian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

A yeti would be the best out of the box way to go.
littletoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

What about something like a wraith with maybe a slightly longer wheelbase and lowered just a little running say a 2650kv 1/8 motor on 6s?
yotapower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ClubCrawlers View Post
Hi, I'm Jeff . New here .
Years ago my first crawler was the Axial AX10 kit. Loved it to the end of time! But a few kids later, and time was limited so I got rid of it. My kids are older now, and one has a Traxxas Slash, she loves it and wants me to get one . But my heart belongs to crawling. So my question is: what kind of mix or hybrid can I find to crawl with and race and jump against a slash? Thanks!
Twin Hammers, Ascender, SCX10, Yeti (not XL), Telluride or Slash 4x4.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I vote against the twin hammers. It is unstable and has a high center of gravity. It does look amazing plowing around however.

The Yeti is the way to go. It is much more stable and much more capable. Sure it needs upgrades out of the box, but it will bump over a lot of obstacles that would stop a TH and had the width to remain stable. A TH is really a 700 dollar investment to get it where you want it. A yet is maybe 450 with the stock motor and a few stronger parts and a new servo.

That said, I drive the TH More than the yeti because I like how hard it is to drive. It would not keep up with a slash, but it looks better trying .
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #9

Well. That being said I am at about 700 meow. I drove it for a year stock with just a better steer servo but it's my first REAL rc car. I had the motor on axle trucks kind of like the clod buster but cheap Walmart version when I was a kid. And a couple rc boats..

Old 10-04-2015, 05:37 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The most reliable imo is the SCX10 the G6 is a nice build and they crawl very well box stock. Before you buy anything be sure you research. For example the Yeti needs after market parts to become reliable. 1.9 trucks are by far the most popular crawlers for many reasons and the SCX10 is currently the best buy/performer for the money no question.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #11

Some guys have built the Wraith as a basher crawler option. I plan on doing one myself. But as with all things there is fine balance of crawler/ basher

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Timberwolf211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Probably not what you want to hear but, my advice is to buy another Slash, and a couple of crawlers. If your daughter likes to drive, she'll like to crawl, too.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Since ur wanting to race crawl and jump there are a few id pick and all have been mentioned above....but if ur not gonna be crawling all the time and ur gonna be jumpping and want something that will take the abuse id go with a summit 1/10 scale with a tekin t8 and a rx8 wither run it on 4s or 6s......i had one ran it on 6s and it was as fast as i wanted that big thing to go i could jump it or just bash around the yard it has a 2spd and does good and crawling.....now if u want more of a crawler and doing a little bit of bashing and mild jumps wraith all the way set it up how u like and have fun....i not a fan of ifs i have built a wrexo and owned a twin hammers and wont do it again i didnt even bother with a yeti.....lots of folks like them but u see ifs rigs in the fs section more than anything.....in the end its up to u i started with a 1/16 summit that the wife took over and them i got a 1/10 summit.....once i got my first scx10 i was hooked and have had a abundance of rigs and wont ever go back to anything else
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I can't fathom how someone can declare a reliable Yeti to be $450, yet a reliable TH to be $700!

I've been hammering on my Twin hammers kit for over a year now and other than a few cvd breakages it's been virtually bombproof. I race it in a series against Yeti's and Wraiths. I'm winning partially because the TH doesn't break like it's competition.

It's true it gets unstable above 30+, so I gear mine for mid twenties and have a blast.

The TH requires nothing more than the ST Eries bellcrank conversion, and a good strong steering servo to be reliable.

The Yeti seems to require much more to me. Items such as trailing arms, front arms, hinge pins, plastic wheel adapters, bellcrank, don't hold up to abuse like the smaller/lighter Twin Hammers. Plus it doesn't come with a 2 speed, which IMO is required if you want to crawl and haul with the same truck.

The Wraith, with it's larger tires and sharper steering angle, crawls better than the Twin Hammers. But it handles like garbage and speed and doesn't land jumps all that well once you start getting 3+ feet off the ground. The Twin Hammers handles and jumps much better IMO.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:34 AM   #15

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the twin hammas. I only put money into mine to upgrade it the only thing I put in to fix anything was the steering servo and like you said the st. Irie's bell crank kit

I only did the other things to make it faster and much more torque

Old 10-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Interesting, I just got into RC again but first time dealing with scale crawlers/bashers. I originally got a wraith which I love a few months ago. Ready for another addition to grow my collection and quite frankly I am looking for the same thing you are in terms of an all-rounder. I am personally going with the twin hammers V2 RTR, seen and heard a lot of good things about them. Plus it comes with a radio that I have been eyeing up recently. I am really excited to order one up here pretty soon!

Good Luck in your decision.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I can't stress enough the importance of getting a kit VS RTR, especially in the Twin Hammers' case.

This is for two reasons:

The first is that it is a fairly precisely designed and molded/machined truck. This means that overall tolerances are tight, and that makes hardware torqueing very critical.

When the RTR came out it seemed that everyone complained about how the inboard canti-levered front shocks had too much friction and would bind. Well, I could make mine either free or bind badly with as little as a quarter turn difference on some of the hardware. I don't believe the kids on the Taiwan assembly line have the patience or time to gently snug all the hardware so things likely end up too tight and you have a suspension or drivetrain that isn't smooth/free. People also complained about the hardware stripping, but IMO it was due to being overtorqued at the factory with worn out tools as I haven't had any issues.

Basically you have way better odds of ending up with a nice driving truck if you assemble it yourself. I found the build to be very enjoyable with no required hand fitting or filing or shimming (okay, one extra shim ended up in the rear diff due to my OCD).

The second reason is that the Kit comes with many upgrades over the RTR, like the sway-bars (comes with 3 different rate bars for the front AND back), front locker, a body without the goofy fake lights molded in, slightly larger Swamper tires (that actually make pretty darn good go-fast basher tires), threaded shock bodies, and most importantly metal trans gears.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #18

I second that notion. I wish mine came with non goofy plastic and a front locker and sway bars and threaded shock bodies.. I do like the molded lights a little as I found some rc lights for drift cars I would assume that are almost the same diameter

I need to figure out how to wire a futava plug to work on a 9 volt as I am using my auxiliary power on the receiver to power the shifter servo
The stock tires cut are almost the same as swamped imho

Last edited by THX_138; 10-21-2015 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Merge, posting 15 seconds apart
Old 10-19-2015, 04:19 AM   #19

You could get a summit which is an awesome start already, but if you want to make it better for what you want to achieve, do the "LT" conversion. I was asking my self the exact question you where because I love crawling and bashing. The summit lt is perfect it's basically a summit that is less wide and with 2.2 wheels. It's awesome, hope I helped.
Luke_burrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid, racing, slash

Is there a crawler/racer hybrid? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DmG's ultra hybrid 4400 IFS KOH Racer the DMG 2.2 Scale Rigs 139 10-20-2014 06:07 PM
MRC as crawler/racer hybrid? dave m Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 01-28-2009 03:36 PM
Rock Racer Hybrid Rockshow Axial AX-10 Scorpion 22 01-02-2008 10:17 AM
Hybrid Crawler jugg_crawler General Crawlers 3 03-21-2004 11:42 AM