Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Fried Poison Spyder Motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

Default Fried Poison Spyder Motor?

My son was just running his Poison Spyder and may have fried his first motor. It is basically stock with the exception of metal transmission gears, front universals, vanquish hubs, and an upgraded deans battery connector. Battery is a Venom 25C 5000mah. He was climbing through a small ravine and having trouble with a rock when one of the wheels locked up and next thing you know a big puff of smoke- see attached pic. I am assuming he fried the motor? The sheathing on the motor leads appear melted and things were quite hot. The truck had been running for about 20 minutes on mixed terrain and speeds. Gear ratio is stock.

My understanding of electric motors is basic at best... any advice on a replacement? he enjoys tearing around the back yard, building small jumps, etc, but also enjoys when we go to the park or places where he can attempt some crawling. Is there a good one size fits all replacement? should we stick with stock since that help up ok and seems to be reasonably priced? And/ or should I consider getting him a lower ratio set of spur and pinion gears to swap out when we are going crawling- which is once in a while and then he could run the faster gear setup when running at higher speeds in the back yard? As always, appreciate your help.

Josh
joshvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Fried Poison Spyder Motor?

Harley's sticky is a must read:
Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Stock gearing is on the tall side given the tall 2.2 tires, so gearing down is a good idea regardless of what motor you pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Default Re: Fried Poison Spyder Motor?

Agreed,stock gearing is not optimal for engine longevity. I blew thru 2 motors before figuring that out. I switched to 32p gears and bought multiple pinion gears from 9 to 14t with a 58t spur. And remember to check the gear spacing. Just a little wobble is ideal, or use the paper spacing trick.
10/58 on the stock 20t will give ya enough wheel speed to launch it a bit and crawl when you need it. Going up on the pinion will return most of the top end speed
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Fried Poison Spyder Motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally picked out my motor combo for my Poison spyder Wraith. walkerd84 Axial Wraith 13 05-29-2015 03:38 AM
Jeep JK poison spyder -Arctic spyder ver.- extremerc1 1.9 Scale Rigs 24 04-02-2014 07:11 AM
BB-51 Poison Spyder Red Rockcrawler 2.2 Scale Rigs 28 11-09-2008 10:51 AM