Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Did I choose the right guts for my Axial Wraith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Default Did I choose the right guts for my Axial Wraith?

I've been assembling an Axial Wraith and I've gotten to the part where I need the motor and all that to put in it. Can anyone look over my list and tell me if these different parts will work together or will one part chew up another or will a motor get burned out or something?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDG3RJI/...=IAB6D2A45JKO8

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OXL8YC8/...I2ASPK07GUXA2H

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXCM3Q8/...I184KXAGFGFJ0R

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FS2U86G/...I3CG6DQV7UG3B9
Luvmuchine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Did I choose the right guts for my Axial Wraith?

The servo looks weak for a Wraith at 12 kg-cm (166 oz-in). 300 oz-in or stronger would be much better. I don't have any experience that that particular ESC and motor, but they should be okay based on specs. You should definitely get an external BEC, though, as the internal BEC in that ESC (as with most) wouldn't handle a reasonably strong servo. I strongly recommend Harley's Wraith stickies in the Wraith section. They give an excellent overview and recommendations for these types of questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah, it will all work together and will get you underway but plan on upgrades, especially the servo, and add a BEC. You should check out Harley's sticky Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!. Also check out Tower Hobbies and Amain for parts. IMO, they have a better selection, service and shipping than Amazon.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the help! I was kinda hoping for something kinda cheap that I could use until I could save up to get better parts but I guess I can just buy a part a paycheck. So I'll be needing a BEC but how do I know which one to get? I don't entirely know what I'm looking for with all this.

Last edited by Luvmuchine; 09-26-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Luvmuchine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

That ESC is what I use in my Wraith. I've never used that motor, but I like to have a higher turn motor and run on 3s. I've got an RC4WD 35T motor and stock gearing with 1.9" wheels. It has good power and has enough wheel speed for anything I've done with it. The RC4WD motors are also about 15 bucks. I think I have a stock Wraith servo, and it works well enough, even when I had it submerged several times in a day of trailing. I've never used a BEC, so I can't give any advice there.
aver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

A lot of people, myself included, run the Castle Creations 10A BEC. If your budget is tight this can always be added later. On that note, you might want to purchase a star so you can buy stuff from other members on the RCC classifieds. You can find some good deals from people upgrading or just cleaning house.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

^^ x2. The Castle Link is a good add for programming if you're going to get the BEC, and you can get both new for under $45 combined (or less used if you buy star and watch the classifieds). For a servo, a lot of people like the Solar D772 (under $30 new, 300-400+ oz-inch depending on input voltage). That would probably be a better first servo than the one you found.

For other mods (e.g., tranny gears, lockers, links, knuckles, c-hubs, etc), you don't have to buy the most expensive stuff to see a noticeable improvement over stock. There are a range of options at different price points, as well as some good do-it-yourself options that take some time but very little money. My best advice is to read up on the weak points, research your options in advance, and have a plan for what you're going to do as the weak points start to fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

That's a good list! I can hear your wallet emptying from here. Since you're getting batteries and a charger you may as well go LiPo. They're superior to NiMH in almost every way - lighter, more capacity, faster charge, no memory effect, longer lasting. As long as you follow the basic safety guidelines they're perfectly safe. With your HH ESC and motor you can bump up to 3s and you'll have more power than you know what to do with

Just nail down a servo and I'd say you have one mean crawler on your hands!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:42 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

^^ amen
Old 10-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #11

I was under the same budget constraints. As a guide I went off Harley's $50/wk wraith build on YouTube. I didn't follow it week to week, just as I could afford it and as parts broke I replaced them with many of his recommended upgrades.
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, esc, motor, servo, wraith

Did I choose the right guts for my Axial Wraith? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith with yeti guts Cork Axial Wraith 3 07-30-2015 11:25 AM
Wraith Guts in an SCX Axle? Help..! Big Tex Axial SCX-10 7 10-15-2012 12:52 PM