Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Wheely King, CXT, camper trailer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wheely King, CXT, camper trailer, now with pics!

I'm cleaning up my original post!!

I've got a Wheely King, see pics below.

a 1/10th New Bright CXT body http://www.newbright.com/search1.cfm?id=373

But all black, and different tires/wheels. The plan is that body on the Wheely King.

I'm planning to build a camper to look like my 1:1 camper:

That's my new toy hauler and R/C pit trailer 8-)

I moved my tire/wheel questions in the tire/wheel section.

Frame material, I think I can figure all that out from my million hours of reading on this forum, (thanks guys ) and some fab work I've done in the past (not R/C related).

Trailer suspension.... I'm actually good at on my own :-P 2 or 3 sets of Tamiya Juggernaut springs will be ordered shortly, depending on how many axles I decide on.

The body of the camper.... I'd like to keep construction time down to a minimum, and not get concerned (at least yet) about interior details, I just want to make a shell. I figured polystyrene sounded like a good material to use. But this will be my first time working with the stuff. Is it possible to make the entire shell from thick sheets and have no internal frame/stiffners, and just glue the seems?

And what thickness? Weight is really not a concern.

The sides of the camper will be between 31" (if I make it scale) to 40" long, and I haven't seen sheets that large (24" is longest I've seen), so I'll end up with a seem down the side unless someone knows of larger sheets somewhere.

Is this a better initial question?

Last edited by swhenrik; 01-04-2007 at 09:19 AM.
swhenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

That is too much info and I didn't make it past the second paragraph like the other 50 people that checked out this thread.

The best advice I can give you is: treat everyone in here like they are 4. Use small words and lots of pictures!! Action figures are a plus.
mr.maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

my next door neighber has one "wheely king".he always wants to race my stampede.we raced 2 times and i out ran it .i gave it the new name of wheely queen!
JEFF THE JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.maxx
That is too much info and I didn't make it past the second paragraph like the other 50 people that checked out this thread.

The best advice I can give you is: treat everyone in here like they are 4. Use small words and lots of pictures!! Action figures are a plus.
I stopped at Nitro.Seems like you should have a decent rig when you're done.How's yuor fab'n skills?
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I was wondering why the lack of responses.... I guess I overloaded the question!

Action figures, LOL, but then I'd be copying MNSTER.

A Stampede is definitely a different style of truck, not really a fair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405
How's yuor fab'n skills?
They SUCK!!

I picked up the truck today. Interesting! Way too fast stock for in the house. If I can get someone to answer about a lathe motor vs. a GD600, I can get that problem fixed. Looks like I can cram the GD600 in, but if a lathe would work, it would be a lot easier.

Taking out the rear brace on the suspension links leads to LOTS of torque roll. Oh well, it's staying out. There's actually LOTS of articulation with it removed. The spring rates are nice and soft, but the shock oil is way too thick.

I dropped in a NMT diff in the front end. I took a NMT drive cup for the center, reamed it larger to fit on the tranny, along with a NMT center shaft, so I'm part way to 4wd. Just gotta figure out a way to get the shafts to the wheels working. Once I do, I'll get pics up of what I did.

Interesting that the truck uses 12mm hexes, but also comes with 14mm hexes (Maxx wheels).... too bad I want to go smaller with the tires/wheels!

Getting the CXT body on will only require a slight increase in wheelbase. But I'll want to keep the width down to make it look decent.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

if wieghts not a concern id build some kind of framework and sheet it. unless its just gonna sit on a shelf you want some kind of strength/reinforcment for when you run it
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Stick with the stock motor or try a 45 or 35 turn motor if you want any speed. The 55t is slow. The GD should slow that stock motor down about like a 55t
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhenrik
I've been lurking, and reading like a mad man, but finally have to break down and ask some questions...... I'll throw in some history in case anyone cares

I ordered a Wheely King, it arrived at the LHS today, I just have to pick it up this weekend. Being the parts aren't all available yet, I'm planning to rob parts from a Nitro MT I have laying around for converting to 4wd. I'll put the diff in the front axle. Then see if I can cut down NMT dogbones to the correct shape to fit into the diff... hoping anyway! Then see if I can get Maxx shafts that I also have laying around to fit between the tranny and axle. Should be enough to keep me busy for a while! If it works out, I'll post up some pics for all to see.

I'm sure I'll need to slow the truck down, a LOT. Being a nitro fanatic, I don't have a clue how a 55 turn Integy, for example, would compare to the 27 turn that the WK comes with. Is it literally 1/2 the speed? Or just slightly slower? Or would I be better off trying to cram a GD600 in it I don't need "crawler slow", but close.

I have a 1/10th New Bright CXT body. They don't list it on their site, but I believe it's this same body: http://www.newbright.com/search1.cfm?id=373 but all black, and different tires/wheels. I picked it up for $35. Eventually I hope that body will sit on the Wheely King. Being perfectly scale is not a concern, although a custom frame is a possibility.

Depending how the body looks on the Wheely King, I'll probably go with smaller tires. Looking at JIA's pics on here, it doesn't look like 1.9" wheels will fit over the hubs. Tamiya rig tires/wheels might have looked REALLY good on it too!! But I guess I'm probably stuck with 2.2's (can JIA confirm this?) Narrowed Geolanders or something similar might be the best bet. For now I'll slap the NMT tires (Dirt Hawgs) on it if nothing else.

I'm planning to build a camper to look like my 1:1 camper: http://www.chesleysales.com/uploads/31_CK_2.bmp

This is where the questions start..... First, I'm leaning toward touring car wheels, being 2.2's just wouldn't look "scale" on a highway trailer. But I'm having trouble finding any that hold bearings, as in they don't go on a driven/rotating axle. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or will I have to modify something there too?

Frame material, I think I can figure all that out from my million hours of reading on this forum, (thanks guys ) and some fab work I've done in the past (not R/C related).

Suspension.... I'm actually good at on my own :-P 2 or 3 sets of Tamiya Juggernaut springs will be ordered shortly, depending on how many axles I decide on.

The body of the camper.... I'd like to keep construction time down to a minimum, and not get concerned (at least yet) about interior details, I just want to make a shell. I figured polystyrene sounded like a good material to use. But this will be my first time working with the stuff. Is it possible to make the entire shell from thick sheets and have no internal frame/stiffners, and just glue the seems?

The sides of the camper will be between 31" (if I make it scale) to 40" long, and I haven't seen sheets that large (24" is longest I've seen), so I'll end up with a seem down the side unless someone knows of larger sheets somewhere.

Alright, I'll stop before my initial question gets too long
Seems everything you want to do is dependent on other things or you already have an idea how you want it built.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
Stick with the stock motor or try a 45 or 35 turn motor if you want any speed. The 55t is slow. The GD should slow that stock motor down about like a 55t
I'd like it to go about 1/2 of stock speed. It will mostly be run in the house. Would a 55 turn would give me that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
Seems everything you want to do is dependent on other things or you already have an idea how you want it built.
Yep, lots of idea, but I could still use some suggestions....
1. Suggested motor or gear reduction for 1/2 speed of 27 turn?
1. Touring car wheels with bearings?
2. Would polystyrene would be a good camper shell material?
3. Would I be better off making an internal framework and uses thin material, or skip the frame and use thick material? (For the camper)
4. Is there polystyrene sheets in sizes larger then 24" long?

4wd is almost complete..... I should be done about the time the parts are available from HPI
Old 01-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Firstly, hello and welcomne to the forum
Giving us pics of the truck would help us hugely to give you good advice that will work, so post up. As the Wheely King is so new, nobody really knows about it, so we don't know fast it is and how much a slower motor would slow it down by. But, at an educated guess, I would say a 55 Axiom lathe motor would halve the speed for you.
For wheels, the stock TLT ones would be the easiest and cheapest to find, but they might be a bit too small.
Another thing, if your truck is 4wd, why do you need wheels with bearings?
I think thick polystyrene would hold up OK unless it took a bad fall down a large hill and onto a conveniently placed rock.

Good luck with your build ahead

Last edited by 4link4eva; 01-01-2007 at 12:02 PM.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

http://www.newbright.com/search1.cfm?id=415&imgonly=yes you mean that one thats not all blinged out?
MGS511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva
Firstly, hello and welcomne to the forum
Thanks. Ive' been around for a while, just not posting a lot.... only a little in Chit Chat.

No pics yet, as there's nothing original about the truck yet. HPI has a LOT of pics: http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/kitMain.php?partNo=10820 JIA has a few pics up, and a video.

55 turn sounds like it would be perfect.... anyone else know?

TLT tires/wheels... I was aiming for something a bit more scale looking, like narrowed Geolanders for example. The height of the Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs looked pretty good under the body, just too wide.

Wheels with bearings are for the trailer.

The trailer isn't going to see the serious off-road stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva
Good luck with your build ahead
Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS511
http://www.newbright.com/search1.cfm?id=415&imgonly=yes you mean that one thats not all blinged out?
That's the 1/6th scale, it looks VERY similar, but mine is 1/10th scale.

I got the truck converted to 4wd.... It "off-roads" a lot better now! But no pics yet, I'll try to get them up tomorrow.

Last edited by swhenrik; 01-02-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhenrik
I've been lurking, and reading like a mad man, but finally have to break down and ask some questions...... I'll throw in some history in case anyone cares

I ordered a Wheely King, it arrived at the LHS today, I just have to pick it up this weekend. Being the parts aren't all available yet, I'm planning to rob parts from a Nitro MT I have laying around for converting to 4wd. I'll put the diff in the front axle. Then see if I can cut down NMT dogbones to the correct shape to fit into the diff... hoping anyway! Then see if I can get Maxx shafts that I also have laying around to fit between the tranny and axle. Should be enough to keep me busy for a while! If it works out, I'll post up some pics for all to see.

I'm sure I'll need to slow the truck down, a LOT. Being a nitro fanatic, I don't have a clue how a 55 turn Integy, for example, would compare to the 27 turn that the WK comes with. Is it literally 1/2 the speed? Or just slightly slower? Or would I be better off trying to cram a GD600 in it I don't need "crawler slow", but close.

I have a 1/10th New Bright CXT body. They don't list it on their site, but I believe it's this same body: http://www.newbright.com/search1.cfm?id=373 but all black, and different tires/wheels. I picked it up for $35. Eventually I hope that body will sit on the Wheely King. Being perfectly scale is not a concern, although a custom frame is a possibility.

Depending how the body looks on the Wheely King, I'll probably go with smaller tires. Looking at JIA's pics on here, it doesn't look like 1.9" wheels will fit over the hubs. Tamiya rig tires/wheels might have looked REALLY good on it too!! But I guess I'm probably stuck with 2.2's (can JIA confirm this?) Narrowed Geolanders or something similar might be the best bet. For now I'll slap the NMT tires (Dirt Hawgs) on it if nothing else.

I'm planning to build a camper to look like my 1:1 camper: http://www.chesleysales.com/uploads/31_CK_2.bmp

This is where the questions start..... First, I'm leaning toward touring car wheels, being 2.2's just wouldn't look "scale" on a highway trailer. But I'm having trouble finding any that hold bearings, as in they don't go on a driven/rotating axle. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or will I have to modify something there too?

Suspension.... I'm actually good at on my own :-P 2 or 3 sets of Tamiya Juggernaut springs will be ordered shortly, depending on how many axles I decide on.

I can't believe you get here before you realized this

Quote:
Alright, I'll stop before my initial question gets too long
Good luck and lets see some pics and video
funkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.maxx
Use small words and lots of pictures!! Action figures are a plus.
where are these pics you promised?
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink
where are these pics you promised?
Patience.... it's still morning.... and be careful what you ask for, I have a LOT of pics!!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Here come the pics!!!

From my post in another thread:

These are NMT and WK parts:
HPI A431 Diff case for NMT
HPI A850 bevel gear set NMT
HPI A855 Ring/pinion NMT
HPI B030 10x15x4 bearing (Or Avids)
HPI B022 11x5x4 bearing (Or Avids)

These are non-WK parts I had to use:
HPI A553 NMT rear center dogbone (Perfect length!)
HPI 72107 NMT drive cup, center (hole must be bored larger)
HPI A558 NMT drive cup, diff outdrives
HPI A559 NMT drive cup, diff input

The NMT has outdrives (drive cups) on the diff, the WK does not, but the drive cups are needed for my method, and will easily fit inside the axle.
Name:  HPIM1957.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  84.9 KB

I used a piece of 1/4" steel rod to make dogbones to drive the wheels. One end slips into the drive cup on the diff, one end slips into the drive cup at the wheel. This must be used at the BACK of the truck, with no rear steering. Therefore move the rear axle to the front and vice versa before starting. I cross drilled the ends of the 3/8" rod and pushed pins into the holes to make it look like a dog bone.
Name:  HPIM1960.jpg
Views: 2252
Size:  89.6 KB
Name:  HPIM1961.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  93.2 KB

The drive cup I used (72107) didn't fit on the WK tranny, I had to enlarge the hole. Using a drill bit was a waste of time, and a waste of about 4 drill bits! A dremel with a tiny stone and a lot of patience and I got it to fit on the WK tranny.
Name:  HPIM1948.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  92.9 KB

Last edited by swhenrik; 01-04-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Other pics....

Oooo, aaaah, a stock Wheely King:
Name:  HPIM1944.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  83.7 KB

Mandatory flex shot:
Name:  HPIM1943.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  85.8 KB

Try the Nitro MT tires on it:
Name:  HPIM1967.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  88.8 KB

Looks OK with the suspension fully compressed:
Name:  HPIM1970.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  87.7 KB

Last edited by swhenrik; 01-03-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Hmmm... some 14mm hexes came with the truck, I'll go grab some Maxx size tires, in this case Maxx Masher 2000's on Maximizer beadlock wheels:
Name:  HPIM1972.jpg
Views: 2556
Size:  83.0 KB

OK, that looks stupid! The tires rub when steering at all, so 1/2" offset wheels would definitely be needed.

What else do I have laying around? Can't seem to find the Big Joes, although they'd look even more stupid. I got some Savage tires, the 1/18th Nylint junk, etc:
Name:  HPIM1974.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  81.1 KB

Could drive right over that Nylint (Why did I buy that thing again?):
Name:  HPIM1977.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  88.7 KB

Last edited by swhenrik; 01-03-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

What else I got laying around? Hmm, being the Bronco body is so popular, maybe some people would like to see that on there?:
Name:  HPIM1979.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  80.6 KB

Of course the wheelbase is wrong. And that poor body has seen better days!!!

What else? Pro-Line Silverado body? No, the pic came out bad. Parma Blazer body?:
Name:  HPIM1982.jpg
Views: 2413
Size:  80.5 KB

Wheelbase still wrong. And that one has also seen better days, I'm showing the good side!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

The CXT.... now I admit this looks like a newb pic..... I guess it kind of is a newb pic:
Name:  HPIM1983.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  84.3 KB

Gonna take some work to get it to sit low enough, and of course extend the wheelbase.

Front view actually looks OK, even with the huge WK tires:
Name:  HPIM1984.jpg
Views: 4241
Size:  81.3 KB