Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Losi comp crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #1

Default Losi comp crawler

Hey guys I'm new to the forums, glad to be here. I have a couple trucks one custom ax10 and the one thats been giving me heaps of trouble since I bought it. I got it used a couple years ago and it had a rooster crawler and a 45 turn Novak brushed motor. I could never figure it out (kept overheating, losing power and burning up batteries and motors ) so I ut it on the shelf and forgot about it. Recently I found myself able to get an ae3 vanguard brushless speed control and a 2900kv vanguard brushless motor so I figured id put them in my LCC. Dropped it in and ran it on a 4200 mah wolf pack (my lipo cutoff was on idk if that matters I plan on going to a 2s 50c reaction lipo) it had decent power for the first minute it under load it really sounds like it's either binding up or slipping alot. When I hit full throttle it will climb right up a wall but not at half throttle. My question is could it be my dig which does not have a servo ATM causing binding or the slipper clutch or is it something in those darn worm drive axles.... I know this has probably been beaten to death but I've had this thing years and can't figure it out. Thanks for reading this post (if you did) I know its long but I wanted to cover everything.
LoganR11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi comp crawler

Could be loose slipper clutch, worms binding and need lube (this was and is major maintenance part for LCC), could be dig linkage flopping around and binding tranny. Fix the dig linkage in the engaged position (but not binding too far on the engagement side) first because that's not good. Check that worm diffs are properly assembled (no parts left out) and they are very well greased! Tighten slipper clutch all the way tight and loosen it maybe 1/8 turn and test against a wall with good concrete traction, under hard throttle it should slip tiny bit, but not lots. Take it easy on the throttle while testing so that you don't break something. Personally I run slipper eliminator or locked down completely on all my RC, if I see it's in a bind, let off the throttle and/or pick a new line. HTH
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the info I will try it, the arm that connects the servo to the dig is just flopping around so I'll try to make sure its not in between dig and normal driving mode and tighten the slipper clutch do you have any opinion on the motor and esc I'm using? I think it should work but I'm really not sure.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #4

I also went into the front diff and saw nothing out of the ordinary there was quite a lot of grease in there.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The Rooster Crawler and 45 turn motor should have been fine. The AE Vanguard setup should be ok even though it's not sensored because the LCC uses worm gears, doesn't need drag brake etc....but might be kinda high kv for crawler, worm gears create lots of drag by their nature. Get the manual, take the diffs (both front and rear) apart and make sure there are no missing parts too! RTR can be incorrectly assembled or missing parts occasionally.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #6

I saw a conversion chart that said 2900kv is around 17.5 turns with an 12 tooth pinion so I thought it would be better. I am not sure at all though I'm completely new to brushless haha!!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #7

Also I read that the worm drives burn up brushed motors pretty quick
Old 10-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

I've successfully run brush motors in my Losi for years. Just got to care of them and the whole truck.

We have a Losi forum here if you haven't seen it yet?

And whatever conversion chart you're referring to makes little sense to me. The pinion has nothing to do with motor speeds.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

Oh no I was just saying I have a 12 tooth pinion that has nothing to do with the chart wording was off. Not sure how accurate it was but it was worth a shot. There must be something wrong somewhere I'll have to open it up tomorrow and check everything! If i dont find anything I'll throw a lipo in it and see how it goes anyway.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #10

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot btw I'm new to forums and saw general rc and thought that would be good.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I'd guess your problems stem from the combination of:
- Slipper clutch.
- Too much internal friction.
- High torque (and speed) motor.

2,900 Kv is more likely around 11.5 turns than 17.5 turns (a 17.5T motor is ~2,000 Kv). A 12T pinion is the correct option for your motor.
To reduce friction follow the advice in this thread.
To tighten the slipper clutch use an 0.050" allen driver at the end of the clutch axle and a 1/4" wrench to tighten the nut.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #12

Thanks alot for the info!! Im tearing it apart today. I have a feeling this motor is going to be no good... If it's 11.5 I won't have hardly any torque is that correct?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
MODERATOR™

You'll have torque, just at a higher rpm.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #14

Dang I was really hoping for some low end torque like on my axial but I guess you gotta take the good with the bad. I have covered the gear mesh and backing off the three screws on the transmission now I'm at removing the dig forks, and im somewhatconfused, do I just remove the arm that the servo attaches to or do I have to go inside and the transmission and remove something?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #15
MODERATOR™

Inside. The forks cause an ever so slight drag. Little extreme in my opinion and I'm pretty sure you'll never be able to tell a difference.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #16

Yeah that's what I was thinking, Im going to post a video to YouTube then post the link here cause I don't actually think it's the slipper I tightened it and its the exact same. Mind you it doesn't have a steering servo in it but that shouldn't matter at all. I think it's the motor.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like a mixture of lack of grease and cogging. Post a video of what its doing.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #18

Here is the link to the video of my crawler.
https://youtu.be/LXqQ0aCH3Jg
Old 10-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #19
MODERATOR™

Sounds like a sensorless sound to me. Cogging. Not slipper related at all.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #20

Yeah so its the motor?

Tags
comp, crawler, losi

Losi comp crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here! Mad Dawg Team Losi Comp Crawler 355 05-14-2023 06:43 PM