Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to crawling. What Truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default New to crawling. What Truck?

I've been in to RC for a long time. Recently been checking out crawlers. I want to go scale. Given my budget, I'm looking at the Axial Deadbolt RTR. Is this a good platform to start out with? Hop-ups? Upgrades?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to crawling. What Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I've been in to RC for a long time. Recently been checking out crawlers. I want to go scale. Given my budget, I'm looking at the Axial Deadbolt RTR. Is this a good platform to start out with? Hop-ups? Upgrades?
The Deadbolt RTR is one of the best RTR's that Axial has come out with. They are upgraded in the right spots and just work out of the box.

My suggestion would be to buy one, drive it and research on RCC what parts to upgrade to if/when something breaks. There are several threads about them and their upgrades.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Search online about the vaterra ascender. There are tons of videos and stories comparing them to the axial scx10 and they beat it out of the box every time. Price isn't much more than the axial and are awesome. I LOVE my ascender and it's still stock. They seem to have hop up parts and getting more the longer they are out. Just do a little research about them before just buying an axial.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

They're both right. You can't go wrong either way. Read up, watch some videos, and then pick whichever of the two you like. They are both great places to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Either one is good... I would choose the Axial from personal experience..
Tommy23490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Search online about the vaterra ascender. There are tons of videos and stories comparing them to the axial scx10 and they beat it out of the box every time. Price isn't much more than the axial and are awesome. I LOVE my ascender and it's still stock. They seem to have hop up parts and getting more the longer they are out. Just do a little research about them before just buying an axial.
Ben
X2, I have both and really like my Ascender lots of upgrades already built-in that would cost couple hundred dollars more if you buy Axial SCX10 and upgrade to same options. Ascender comes with high steering angle CVDs, high steer knuckles, CMS, all metal suspension links, and shocks that don't leak, Deadbolt includes none of these. I've been beating the crap out of my Ascender and it just keeps on ticking.

EDIT: Forgot the steel tranny gears the Ascender comes with, not plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
They're both right. You can't go wrong either way. Read up, watch some videos, and then pick whichever of the two you like. They are both great places to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
X2

Last edited by Natedog; 10-21-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thank you to everyone for the responses. It was a difficult decision, but I ended up going with the Axial AX10 Deadbolt. The real deciding factor was that my LHS up the street keeps Axial parts and spares in stock. I figured that would be really convenient. Anyhow, I've been playing with the truck and really having a blast. I was surprised how capable it seemed right out of the box. I've already done all of the "Bender" stage 1 upgrades, which helped even more. Working on stage 2 now. I also bought a 55T motor from the LHS and loving it. I'm definitely leaning toward crawler more than basher or rock racer. I'm also thinking I'd like to try and give it a more "scale" look than it currently has. I was looking around at bodies to retro fit. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw how much the injection molded, hard plastic style bodies like the hilux are going for! Ouch! Next upgrade is going to be some true bead lock rims and stickier rubber. Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #8

I love my AX10, not the most "Scale" platform but a lot of fun and very capable. Definitely get a strong servo.

[IMG][/IMG]
Jamestree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #9

A strong servo will make or break the enjoyment. Bite the bullet the first time, and you wont have to spend more in the long run.
94_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ok - looking in to stronger servo today. Any recommendations? Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Oh boy................
Attached Images

Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Uh oh............looks like I may have opened the proverbial can of worms. I'm looking at a Savox hi-torque, steel gear at the moment, but I have zero experience with their stuff. I guess i'd just rather get some good feedback on tried and true stuff if i'm going to drop that kind of coin!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Ok. Did some searching around in the forums here and online. Looks like a HiTec 7955 is going to be the way to go. Got my alum tie-rod and drag link on the way as well.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Lol. It's ok, you will just get a lot of experts with all these different opinions. I personally like hitec. Never used savox so I can't comment on those. In the electronics section there is a new servo on the market which looks promising, I think it's called pro model or something like that..... The name escapes me at the moment. Oh and welcome to the forums.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Ok. Did some searching around in the forums here and online. Looks like a HiTec 7955 is going to be the way to go. Got my alum tie-rod and drag link on the way as well.
I used to run that servo, but it's now a backup. Step up to something like HS-7950TH or try that new ProModeller that Wade refers to, especially with 2.2s. Hitec warranty has always been great for me on rare occasion when I sent something in. Savox warranty is non-existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
Lol. It's ok, you will just get a lot of experts with all these different opinions. I personally like hitec. Never used savox so I can't comment on those. In the electronics section there is a new servo on the market which looks promising, I think it's called pro model or something like that..... The name escapes me at the moment. Oh and welcome to the forums.

Cheers,
Wade
X2
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

If you're going to go the Hitec route, it's probably worth waiting a couple of weeks for the D-840WP. At 7.4V, it has over 400 oz-inch and .11 sec transit time, and it's waterproof out of the box. At $99, it's a pretty good deal for a Hitec. Holmes Hobbies is almost ready to begin shipping the new version of their servo, and that will also be an excellent option.

In addition to the steering and drag links, add a BEC, knuckles and c-hubs to your can-of-worms.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

My local HS had the Hi-Tec unit in stock so I went that route. (I also get 10% off parts and accessories for 6 months since I bought the truck there). Anyway, got it installed. Can't believe how much faster and stronger it is. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help. I don't mind spending some $ to get my stuff dialed in, but I hate to do it without some referrals and info!

New to crawling. What Truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to crawling. What truck would you recommend? Sky's Crawler Newbie General 12 10-12-2015 07:52 PM
Getting into Rc Crawling. Which truck is better choice? Amarx691 Newbie General 11 01-09-2015 11:53 AM
Truck Pulling and Crawling at Mermaid partsman Minnesota 1 11-14-2009 06:18 PM
New to Crawling, looking for a truck. Lowrider_33 Newbie General 5 05-06-2008 07:03 AM
Monster Truck Rock Crawling run2jeepn Chit Chat 8 12-23-2006 10:16 PM