Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: My first scale rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My first scale rig

I am planning on making my first scale 1.5 this winter and i just have a few questions that I haven't been able to find out searching around on here. I have a bunch of standard 2s lipo packs that I would like to continue to use. Does anyone have any pictures of how they are mounted in a rig that has a full interior and engine bay? Also, how are you mounting the bodies? I dont want to use the standard posts with clips. I have no idea what type of body i will have yet but i'm hoping it to be some sort of hard body and I will make a styrene interior and wheel wells. Thanks guys!
LamChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My first scale rig

I've never done a fresh build so I'm no help to you on the battery mount, but on the body mounts, I highly recommend strong Velcro or even stronger magnets. Adhering them is a trick and they don't take a ton of abuse, but I've had luck with both methods in the past with drift cars... For abuse, I'd go Velcro and go with big pieces or it will rip off your paint under stress.
Creepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Battery under the hood maybe under engine if you have scale engine or it can go under the floorpan.

Body mounts, buy the 3M commercial grade heavy duty velcro or some really strong rare earth magnets ShoeGoo'ed to the the body and some mounting points on the chassis. These magnets are much stronger than you'd think.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Battery can also go against the fire wall. With a full drop interior and engine bay space will be at a premium.
I'm fighting with front mount motor, Chassis mounted servo, servo winch, full drop interior and 3D cargo area. I already decided to use an 800Mah 3S just to minimize foot print.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the feedback guys, I found a build on here where the guy actually made scale body mounts on the far and I really like that idea but we'll see. Battery on the firewall is good as well. I'll have to see how everything lays out once I start ordering parts

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I put my battery up against the firewall on my SCX Bronco. I bent/cut up some aluminum mounts. It's not easy to see, space is tight! The dash/firewall was basically built around the battery.

MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I put my battery up against the firewall on my SCX Bronco. I bent/cut up some aluminum mounts. It's not easy to see, space is tight! The dash/firewall was basically built around the battery.

That looks good! I'm going to put the motor up front and probably do a scale transmission but I decided today I am going to use my cherokee body. That gives me a back seat and the opportunity to use the seat base as a place for the battery, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll post a think to the build once it's rolling. I told myself I had to finish everyone's Xmas presents before more rc...

Old 11-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I ordered another proline cherokee and a bunch of styrene. I'm going to hack this cherokee into a 2 door. I haven't seen one yet so I will post once it's started

Old 12-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Pulled the trigger on a bunch of parts to get started!

Lamchop's 2 door XJ

My first scale rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone use a 18th scale brushless in a 10th scale rig? takman Electronics 4 05-19-2008 10:31 PM