Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie painting question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Question Newbie painting question

So I've begun building my first SCX10 Kit, Jeep Wrangle G6. I will be brush painting the body mostly blue with black. I plan to do most of the interior black as well as the fender flares and the remaining of the body blue.

My intent is to have a deep/dark blue, using black to back the blue. My plan was to mask off what I want to remain black and paint everything else blue first, then paint the black areas as well as back the blue as part of the same step.

Any reason I may not want to approach painting the body the way I've described? or is that actually the best approach?

Thanks in advance for your replies and suggestions.
MikeFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Newbie painting question

sounds good, just make sure you have the edges of the masking down so you dont get bleed through. Another good idea is to let the blue dry for awhile so you get nice clean lines.
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

Ya I plan to let it dry over night before I start applying the black. Probably waiting an hour or two between each coat of blue and black.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Why brush? Spray cans will lay down a better coat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:25 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebullet View Post
sounds good, just make sure you have the edges of the masking down so you dont get bleed through. Another good idea is to let the blue dry for awhile so you get nice clean lines.
I always use the high quality 3M Blue Edgelock tape burnish the edges of the masking tape with my fingernail to ensure that they seal better.

3M US: ScotchBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post

X2
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I always use the high quality 3M Blue Edgelock tape burnish the edges of the masking tape with my fingernail to ensure that they seal better.

3M US: ScotchBlue

X2
Reason for brush painting is because I don't have anywhere that's still warm and ventilated to spray until the spring. Also the fact the body will probably get beat up pretty good it probably won't matter in the end.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
SMW
Rock Stacker

I think you may be just setting yourself up for dissapointment with trying to brush paint on lexan and hoping for a result that you will be happy with. Have you tried faskolor paints ? That is all I use and am very happy with the water based paint and an airbrush . You still do not want to breathe in the vapor but there is an easy way to use it indoors in the winter. I bought a cheap box fan and a decent pleated furnace filter that fits the size. Ziptie the filter to the back side of the fan, place the fan facing away from your work area and put on low. Also wear a dust mask. The fan pulls almost all the paint floating in the air into the filter. This works better then my first attempts using a shop vac with a hepa filter which also worked but paint dust did settle on the vacs hose. If you see paint floating in the air make sure your filter has not clogged. I paint in a heated basement and never have had over spray get on anything and the scent is almost nil, except for the faskoat clear which has a sweet smell. Good luck !
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

you can paint with a brush and get a decent result with enough time but a can is the way to go for sure

I have been pulling stripes with a brush and some faskolor and after i back it small light spots seem to come out just as good as the rest.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #9

It's all a learning experience for me. I plan to do 3-5 coats of each color, I don't expect light peeking through to be an issue. I will post some results once I've completed.

If all else fails, I buy a new body and spray it in the spring.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

if you have a hair dryer or a heat gun that has a low setting you could very well do it outside.

another option is to get your body ready and can shaken while inside then take it outside and paint a layer then take it inside. Could also do the same if you dont mind being trapped in a car with the smell for a bit.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Or heater in the garage, just watch out for paint fumes and don't blow up the garage with kerosene heater or water heater pilot light lol. That's how I paint in the winter.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #12

I live in a mini home (trailer) and don't have a garage unfortunately.

I agree, spraying would probably give the best result but I'm confident that if I take my time with the brush it should turn out fine. Maintain the same technique of multiple thin layers and I should be good.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

Exclamation Re: Newbie painting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFu View Post
Ya I plan to let it dry over night before I start applying the black. Probably waiting an hour or two between each coat of blue and black.
TIP: Read through the fine print on your paint label and or online paint spec. information.
... or do a test piece beforehand for two major reasons.

1.) Not all paints are compatible and when top coating with second paint (sometimes even if it's the same brand paint) they fight each other and the paint can lift, mottle, bubble, wrinkle.... etc...
A test patch and 24 hours to watch reaction is easier then stripping and repainting an entire body

2.) And probably even more important then # 1.
This one you can read the label closely, but I highly recommend a test piece instead just to be safe.

Many paints have different "flash off" times and re-coat time limits.
Meaning.... The paints will have a window for putting on a second, third etc... layer.

This includes a second coat of the same exact paint and color, or different color or paint entirely.

The next coat must be applied within minutes after paint flashes off to an hour, or you must then wait a full 24+ hours.
Sounds dumb and meaningless, but I've ignored their recommendations thinking it's been 5 hours since I painted it and the paints dry, so the paints dry, what were they thinking to say I now need to wait 24-36 hours for another layer?
I mean really, if it was dry at 15 minutes to an hour and I could paint it then, but now 5 hours later it's even drier , but I can't paint it again now?
Seriously? Come on mr. Paint manufacturer!!! You're pulling my leg right?

Guess what?, the entire paint job bubbled like I soaked it in brake fluid by painting that next coat outside their recommended "time window"

Not entirely sure what goes on in that time window from being able to re-coat it right after it flashes off vs. waiting 24+ hours... but it's the real deal and very very frustrating when it happens if painted again too soon.

I'll also add that I have noticed the "window" for multiple layers being most important and "picky" with paints that get brushed on vs. spraying it.
I believe that difference to be because the paint goes on so much heavier and thicker by brushing vs. spraying thin layers and whatever is trapped in paint that requires the full 24-36 hours to either evaporate, harden and cure, takes longer to happen because the paint is thicker

Good luck and be sure to show us progress pictures and finished pictures!

We all love pictures !!!!
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
Snip!
Great tips. I will be sure to read the label on the paint I bought to be sure.

These are the ones I did buy:
Found these instructions on Faskolor's website.

Tags
newbie, painting, scx10

Newbie painting question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about painting. pro mod steve Axial Yeti XL 6 04-08-2015 08:48 AM
painting question jeepscx10 Paint and Body 3 07-25-2013 10:31 AM
Painting Question DakotaH Paint and Body 6 07-02-2011 08:01 AM
Painting with pictures question utbeamer Paint and Body 7 11-26-2009 07:35 PM
painting a hardbpdy question punkuup5150 Paint and Body 4 05-31-2009 08:20 AM