Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Building my first rc. Need electronic advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

Default Building my first rc. Need electronic advice.

I am NEW to rc. I am attempting to build an Axial Wraith. I wont it completely water proof in the electronic parts. Their are so many choices. This is what I like so far. A ROC 412 motor. A lipo 3s battery. A spectrum controller. But I have no clue what will work/mate with these options. Can I get some help please.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
chrisbrittian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Building my first rc. Need electronic advice.

What will you mainly be doing with this rig?? Crawling, trails, mud bogg, hill climbs?
firstpasstommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #3

Mostly crawling and trailing

Old 11-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

I would like to keep it under $500. for everything.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If you check the Wraith section and the stickies at the top of that section, you'll find all the info you need to make your decisions.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

MMP and ROC412 would be very nice combo for this.

Every section also has valuable sticky threads at teh top to answer most questions and really are must reads if you're considering or have just bought the particular rc in question.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default Building my first rc. Need electronic advice.

If your $500 budget includes the kit itself, I'd steer you away from the Wraith. Wraiths aren't great if you're on a tight budget. As is, they need a decent amount of basic upgrades for durability (eg, plastic links, knuckles, c-hubs, tranny gears). And if you try to go with a ROC 412 on 3s, you'll definitely blow your budget unless you plan to buy used.

On a $500 total budget, I'd suggest starting with an Ascender (RTR or kit). They perform great stock and don't require any durability upgrades out of the box, so you can put the rest of your budget into performance upgrades and/or scale accessories.

If your $500 is just for electronics, the Wraith is very doable. In that case, I'd suggest going with a HH Puller Pro 3500 and HH BLE ESC, both of which can be purchased waterproofed from the manufacturer. They will also sell you a waterproofed Castle BEC, which will help power the servo you'll want to get.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by new2rocks; 11-17-2015 at 08:10 PM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I think it is worthwhile to purchase a star and check the classifieds on here for a Wraith that already has some upgrades. We never get back what we put into these things when purchased new, so you can usually buy something with upgrades cheaper than a new one completely stock. As already mentioned, brushless and 3S will break stuff, especially with a stock driveline. The mamba max pro (MMP) is a good esc, but a cheaper option would be a used waterproof sidewinder 3. Upgraded driveline parts would be what I would look for on a used one - steel trans gears, MIP or other metal driveshafts, HD axle gears, aluminum knuckles and C hubs on the front axle, front universal axle shaft.
TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
If your $500 is just for electronics, the Wraith is very doable. In that case, I'd suggest going with a HH Puller Pro 3500 and HH BLE ESC, both of which can be purchased waterproofed from the manufacturer. They will also sell you a waterproofed Castle BEC, which will help power the servo you'll want to get.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What he said.

I used a Roc412 and MMP in my Wraith and it was a great setup but they will need to be waterproofed.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #10

Great onfo. I already have the Wraith Kit. I got it as a gift. I have already bought all metal gears and suspension parts for the build. The $500 is just for electronics. Thanks for the help and keep it coming.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

HH BLE and Puller 3500 combo will set you back $250. Add $32 for a waterproofed CC BEC, which leaves you approx. $210+ for radio, servo and battery. For a radio, the hacked FlySky GT3C is hard to beat for the price. Helios RC (vendor here) sells them for $75:
Radios

Add in one of the Helios 3000 mah 3S 30C packs for just over $30, and that leaves you $100-ish for the servo. I just put an Xpert 7000 into one of my rigs. At $99 before coupon code and WP out of the box, with up to 430 oz-inch depending on voltage, it's pretty good on paper. I haven't had enough run time with it to give it a full two thumbs up yet, but it's done well through the first couple of packs. Hitec also just announced a couple of new WP servos (D840 and D845) that should be very good and hitting the shelves very soon, also priced at $99 before coupon codes.

All in, a combo like this comes in right at your $500 budget with electronics waterproofed out of the box (which means you won't get automatically dinged if you have a warranty issue just because you got wet) and makes for a beast of a rig.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Building my first rc. Need electronic advice. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice on building a bouncer. johncraddock445 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 11-13-2015 12:57 PM
Building new PC-advice.. crash Chit Chat 18 02-04-2014 05:09 PM
Advice on building an Xr-10 Mazdarx Axial XR10 13 06-22-2011 12:48 PM
Axle Building Advice jlsandkes Axial XR10 13 01-04-2011 08:26 AM
Need some advice on building my first crawler... biggin69 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 30 07-13-2008 01:28 PM