Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I'm Lost!! ( can't make up my freaking mind)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #1

Default I'm Lost!! ( can't make up my freaking mind)

I have the axial deadbolt basically stock not so happy with it. Just doesn't really seem like you can climb where I wanted to climb doesn't seem like it's all that I think it's over rated am I wrong? I have decided to step up to a bigger scale like 1/5th because it seems to me only obvious that its going to go more places. And from what I see videos into research I'm thinking Maxtone (Exceed)or Rockslide(Redcat) question is Exceed Good or Bad product? 10th or 5th?? Do I not Realize what I have?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
jlatuala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I'm Lost!! ( can't make up my freaking mind)

Sounds to me like you will want a MOA if crawling in hard places is all you want to use it for! Be sure to research a number of brands before you buy. And in most cases you will get what you pay for.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Ya scalers suck.... JK. The dead bolt is a 2.2 rig correct? I think if you tune your rig like add weight to front wheels battery placement make sure shocks have oil in them you'll be able to get the rig to preform well for you...

IMO I wouldn't waste my money on the other name brand crawlers.

Last edited by tapped-out; 11-21-2015 at 07:13 PM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatuala View Post
Do I not Realize what I have?

Probably. A stock SCX-10 needs a few things to really maximize its crawling and climbing potential (e.g., battery forward mod, add weight to the front wheels, foams, links, etc). The difference between stock and well set up is pretty significant. The other factor to consider is driving skill. I tend to enjoy my less capable rigs more than the more capable ones, because they require better driving and are enjoyable on a wider range of terrain. But it took a little while to get there.

It's probably worth checking out some YouTube videos to see the range of capabilities. If you're not impressed with or interested in the toughest terrain you see SCX-10s managing, then you probably should look at something more technically capable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Id say give it a chance. Throw a few dollars at it. They are a great learning tool. And in the end many people end up owning one anyway.
Biomedchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If it's the scx10 Deadbolt look @ Harley's videos.
https://youtu.be/qYiZEzAX45U
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
RCC Addict

What are you trying to climb? Hills? Big steep rock faces?

There are some things that you can do to make it climb better. Tires (with good foams), moving battery up front, underdrive gears in the rear axle, etc but some terrain will require a comp crawler style rig and other terrain you would be better off with something like the Axial Bomber, Yeti, or Wraith.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Running with friends I notice the scx10 is a very different approach to crawling. As stated above, when tuned right it can keep up, but IMO the shorter and narrower wheelbase does make it a bit more challenging, especially on larger obstacles when compared to a 2.2 rig
Creepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well you have a very good rig...I love mine. I built it from the ground up with all stock parts. What makes it work is set up. Its all about weight and balance and tires. I run Trepedors on axial beadlocks with 8oz in each front and 4oz in each rear. I made my own links out of 1/4 brake line and 8/32 all thread and Traxxas Jato rod ends for less than $20 and extended the wheel base to 12.75". the battery was mounted low and forward of the transmission

Of course there were ground clearance issues over a 2.2 wraith or comp rig. I had to drive it way different. angle of attack was important. Plus I had to mod the front bumper and suck it back as far as I could and channel it back into the frame rails. that made the biggest improvement not getting the bumper hung up all the time.

Yes it has limitations but not many. Stock shocks were very stiff. I did put on some proline shocks and am right about a 60/40 droop and it really helped with articulation letting the wheels suck up into the fenders. But just softer springs with the stock shocks would work just as well

that being said I started with a redcat everest 10 same as the exceed I got it climbing very good. Almost too good. It would do anything, kind of boring. But it took a lot of mods. Stock tires are useless, need new axial lockers and shorter shocks to lower CG. the stock esc lasted 1 battery( got a new one under warranty 4 weeks later). You can easily dump $300 into

It all comes down to personal preference on what you like. But you have a good platform to start with. hopes this helps
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatuala View Post
I have the axial deadbolt basically stock not so happy with it. Just doesn't really seem like you can climb where I wanted to climb doesn't seem like it's all that I think it's over rated am I wrong? I have decided to step up to a bigger scale like 1/5th because it seems to me only obvious that its going to go more places. And from what I see videos into research I'm thinking Maxtone (Exceed)or Rockslide(Redcat) question is Exceed Good or Bad product? 10th or 5th?? Do I not Realize what I have?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Is it an SCX-10 Deadbolt or AX-10 Deadbolt?

With either, switching your battery box to the front will help climbing, but remember you have to come down at some point. Leaving the battery in the rear, and adding some weight up front will give you a more balanced truck, and not cause you to do a front somersault on the way down.

You can add weight up front by adding stick-on wheel weights (like from an auto parts store) to the inside of beadlocks, or try sticking them on the inside side of stock rims (I could never get them to stay, I bought Axial Rockster beadlocks), some guys use a lead wire wrap on the inside of beadlock rims. Some beadlock rims also add weight, they have a plastic body with steel rings.

You can also add these stick-on weights to the top of your axle mounted servo (I've done this to mine, usually 2 oz.)

If you have the SCX-10 version, try switching out the 1.9's for 2.2's, it'll give you a tad more ground clearance.

With either version, swapping out stock steering links with metal, is a must. You'll see how much better they will steer when you don't have plastic links bending when you get in a bind. Replacing your lower suspension links with metal links will also help.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Is it an SCX-10 Deadbolt or AX-10 Deadbolt?
That's a fairly important question!
AX-10 has orange body, SCX10 has green body.

The AX-10 can with some work become a really capable climber! (Competitive in the 2.2S class.)
The SCX-10 isn't supposed to do quite as well. A more extensive re-build will turn it towards an AX-10 Scorpion, the predecessor of AX10 Ridgecrest/Deadbolt, and thus also very capable.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #12

Maxstones have plastic gears so stay away unless you want to pay $40 per axle to upgrade. Mad Torques have steel gears. How about a picture of your obstacle course? I think this next question should be a prerequisite for all newbies because there seems to be 2 genres in rock crawling: Do you want scalar realism or do you want maximum rock crawling ability. The two are somewhat mutually exclusive. It seems many are fine with the scalar as they really don't have big rocks to challenge them whereas others like me have very large natural obstacles.
MassiveOverkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Probably. A stock SCX-10 needs a few things to really maximize its crawling and climbing potential (e.g., battery forward mod, add weight to the front wheels, foams, links, etc). The difference between stock and well set up is pretty significant. The other factor to consider is driving skill. I tend to enjoy my less capable rigs more than the more capable ones, because they require better driving and are enjoyable on a wider range of terrain. But it took a little while to get there.

It's probably worth checking out some YouTube videos to see the range of capabilities. If you're not impressed with or interested in the toughest terrain you see SCX-10s managing, then you probably should look at something more technically capable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman71 View Post
Well you have a very good rig...I love mine. I built it from the ground up with all stock parts. What makes it work is set up. Its all about weight and balance and tires. I run Trepedors on axial beadlocks with 8oz in each front and 4oz in each rear. I made my own links out of 1/4 brake line and 8/32 all thread and Traxxas Jato rod ends for less than $20 and extended the wheel base to 12.75". the battery was mounted low and forward of the transmission

Of course there were ground clearance issues over a 2.2 wraith or comp rig. I had to drive it way different. angle of attack was important. Plus I had to mod the front bumper and suck it back as far as I could and channel it back into the frame rails. that made the biggest improvement not getting the bumper hung up all the time.

Yes it has limitations but not many. Stock shocks were very stiff. I did put on some proline shocks and am right about a 60/40 droop and it really helped with articulation letting the wheels suck up into the fenders. But just softer springs with the stock shocks would work just as well

that being said I started with a redcat everest 10 same as the exceed I got it climbing very good. Almost too good. It would do anything, kind of boring. But it took a lot of mods. Stock tires are useless, need new axial lockers and shorter shocks to lower CG. the stock esc lasted 1 battery( got a new one under warranty 4 weeks later). You can easily dump $300 into

It all comes down to personal preference on what you like. But you have a good platform to start with. hopes this helps
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Maxstones have plastic gears so stay away unless you want to pay $40 per axle to upgrade. Mad Torques have steel gears. How about a picture of your obstacle course? I think this next question should be a prerequisite for all newbies because there seems to be 2 genres in rock crawling: Do you want scalar realism or do you want maximum rock crawling ability. The two are somewhat mutually exclusive. It seems many are fine with the scalar as they really don't have big rocks to challenge them whereas others like me have very large natural obstacles.
Yes, myself I prefer 1.9s or smaller tires, more scale realism and a truck that takes some work to get through obstacles, if it's too easy, whats the point? Also super crawler 2.2s, wide axles, long wheelbase like Wraith, MOA, etc. is boring...sold all mine.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Just came across this. Written for bashers, but the same principles apply here:
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/the-cub-re...ough-new-cars/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #15

the linked article was helpful. I have a short course truck and now want to crawl. I have pondered Wraith vs SCX10. I think the latter is now the choice and wrench and learn.
FVIcySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Going to 1/5th scale isn't going to make a difference in how well a rig can perform if you are driving it on the right terrain.
FloridaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

I'm Lost!! ( can't make up my freaking mind) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
That's it! The German's have lost their mind Creepy Inc. Chit Chat 23 10-01-2012 07:57 AM
Need some help to make up my mind ! rapttor Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 14 09-05-2012 07:07 AM
6000 mAh!!! $30!!! Have I lost my mind??? Kamikaze Electronics 48 12-30-2007 04:34 PM
help me make up my mind Bellerose78 Newbie General 12 11-21-2007 10:26 AM