Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: performance of upgraded axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Default performance of upgraded axles

Reeding all the dream builds of RC's that have me drooling. The vanquish and SSD axles look like candy but do they offer much in performance or is this something I should only consider when I break the axial oem stuff on my scx10. I have axial aluminum knuckles and c hubs on the front. Just trying to get more knowledge and the search function sometimes leads me a stray. If it is simple as a link please post the link won't offend me.
Chewitt214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: performance of upgraded axles

The extra weight down low probably helps a bit with traction and stability but aluminum doesn't slide over rocks as easy as plastic. Stronger? The VP (and SSD I assume) ones are certainly stronger. Integy/other cheap off brands, probably not.

SSD also has the D60 plastics housings, I have set and they seem nice, time will tell how strong they are. I also have the Curries on my Wraith and they're dead sexy, I cringe a little every time I drag one over a rock My only complaint with them is it's a bit more work to disassemble them vs the stock stuff.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

GCM also makes some nice scale housing , both GCM and the SSD have removable gear covers , so you can open them up and check it out very quickly.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
GCM also makes some nice scale housing , both GCM and the SSD have removable gear covers , so you can open them up and check it out very quickly.
I would assume this would make them easier to grease? Yes No
Chewitt214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default performance of upgraded axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewitt214 View Post
I would assume this would make them easier to grease? Yes No

Definitely. As far as durability is concerned, the stock housings are pretty good. I just ripped one for the first time after a year and a half of heavy abuse (ROC 412 on 3S and driven hard). With beef tubes added, you won't get more durable than that. But with the snapped housing, I swapped over to the SSDs for appearance and ease of servicing. I haven't run them near enough to report on durability, though I suspect they'll be at least as strong as the stockers, and maybe more so. From a pure performance perspective, all else equal, plastic beats aluminum because of ease of sliding over rocks. The biggest limiting factor is the size of the pumpkin, which is dictated by Axial's large ring gears.

If you're not itching to make a change, I'd suggest running the stock housings until one of them breaks. At that point, you can make a switch to something like the SSDs or Curries if you really want to go over the top.

Last edited by new2rocks; 11-22-2015 at 10:55 PM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Rockjock curries will take a beating over two years of beating and two axialfest's still going strong, but yes they don't slide as easy as plastic
Attached Images

Teasley4Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:11 AM   #7

Hi Im new here.
Anyone know if SSD sells complete axles?
I looked at Vanquish, but they dont sell complete axles?

Seems to be hard to find complete upgrade axles for sale!?

I couldnt find axles at GCMs webb anymore.

I would like 4WS for my custom build.
/Sam
outbacksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

rc4wd is the only company I know of that sells complete running axle sets. and many of them have notorious weak spots if you drive them too hard. SSD and Vanquish make very nice upgrades for existing parts but neither of them make every single component so in other words; no. I recommend just ordering the specific parts you need and assembling them yourself.
m0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacksam View Post

/Sam

GCM has stuff that's not on their site. If you send an email, Chris will let you know what he has. But FYI, his Terramods (as well as many of the upgraded axle housings, like the SSDs and RC4WD D44s) are designed for CMS, not an axle mounted servo. Unless you plan on CMS front and rear, you'll be limited to axles that allow for a servo mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacksam View Post
Hi Im new here.
Anyone know if SSD sells complete axles?
I looked at Vanquish, but they dont sell complete axles?

Seems to be hard to find complete upgrade axles for sale!?

/Sam
Here is the link to GCM's TerraMod Axles.
GCM Racing WebStore-2015 - TerraMod Axle Housing - PreOrder

They have options for the fully built axles. ( Option #4-183 and Option #5-183)
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster View Post
rc4wd is the only company I know of that sells complete running axle sets. and many of them have notorious weak spots if you drive them too hard. SSD and Vanquish make very nice upgrades for existing parts but neither of them make every single component so in other words; no. I recommend just ordering the specific parts you need and assembling them yourself.
Hi mOnster! Thanks for your info, I will have it mind
Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
GCM has stuff that's not on their site. If you send an email, Chris will let you know what he has. But FYI, his Terramods (as well as many of the upgraded axle housings, like the SSDs and RC4WD D44s) are designed for CMS, not an axle mounted servo. Unless you plan on CMS front and rear, you'll be limited to axles that allow for a servo mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks new2rocks for help!
Well Iike dont like the look of axlemounted servos, but today Im not 100% which I will go. I will go for metal housing axles.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Here is the link to GCM's TerraMod Axles.
GCM Racing WebStore-2015 - TerraMod Axle Housing - PreOrder

They have options for the fully built axles. ( Option #4-183 and Option #5-183)
Thanks for the link k7zpj!
Good tips and tricks from I belive Chris him self!?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Definitely. As far as durability is concerned, the stock housings are pretty good. I just ripped one for the first time after a year and a half of heavy abuse (ROC 412 on 3S and driven hard). With beef tubes added, you won't get more durable than that. But with the snapped housing, I swapped over to the SSDs for appearance and ease of servicing. I haven't run them near enough to report on durability, though I suspect they'll be at least as strong as the stockers, and maybe more so. From a pure performance perspective, all else equal, plastic beats aluminum because of ease of sliding over rocks. The biggest limiting factor is the size of the pumpkin, which is dictated by Axial's large ring gears.

If you're not itching to make a change, I'd suggest running the stock housings until one of them breaks. At that point, you can make a switch to something like the SSDs or Curries if you really want to go over the top.
Stock old style Axial plastic housings with BeefTubes have lasted me for years and slide over rocks much better than aluminum housings. When my truck takes a big fall there is more give and I break less parts than guys with lots of metal axle housings and heavy add on parts. SSD now makes some sweet plastic axle housings with nice optional aluminum diff covers. I spend the money saved on wheels, tires, snacks, lipos, gas and park fees to crawl more!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Stock old style Axial plastic housings with BeefTubes have lasted me for years and slide over rocks much better than aluminum housings. When my truck takes a big fall there is more give and I break less parts than guys with lots of metal axle housings and heavy add on parts. SSD now makes some sweet plastic axle housings with nice optional aluminum diff covers. I spend the money saved on wheels, tires, snacks, lipos, gas and park fees to crawl more!
Well good point there Thanks!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Just noticed something...SSD sells an axle servo mount plate for their D60 axles as a separate option for the axles. In theory, that would allow 4WS with servos on both axles, but I haven't tried it to be able to say for certain.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:12 AM   #17

Hi, anyone running rc4wd "monster digger" axles? They look fantastic, but the size is big. 273mm wide. How wide are axial wraith axles?

I found a earlier thread here about these axles but couldnt find any info if they are strong and good quailty ?
(Sorry for bad spelling if so)
/Sam

performance of upgraded axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgraded axles for TF2 desertdude RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 10-01-2015 01:01 PM