Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX Honcho or Vaterra Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 03:04 AM   #1

Default Axial SCX Honcho or Vaterra Ascender

Hi guys, i have the chance to get one of this trucks, here in Argentina is realy dificult to get this kind of stuff, but i find a guy who came from Us with this rigs, the same price for both, that means i pay the same amount of money for one or the other.
I have a Tamiya Hi LIft Ford 350, nice truck, but very unconfortable for me driving style is the 3 chanel stick radio, but i dont have chance to change that, for a while im in the search for my second truck for use as base for building some rigid bodies , here are a lot of great craftmans with amazing skills, this is a great inspiring place, to resume, i like to ask you experts builders wich one of those trucks serves as a more versatil platform for a scale crawler with the most friendly chasis for hand made rigid bodies, and in your opinion wich one is more durable.
Thanks for all answers.
Guillermo
Buenos Aires
Argentina
guillote68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2015, 03:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial SCX Honcho or Vaterra Ascender

The vaterra all the way. Out performed the scx right out of the box. The scx does have more of an aftermarket following for parts but many companies are really stepping up and making more parts for the vaterra now and I would imagine that there will be more and more as time goes on. I love my ascender and looking at both that and the scx10 frame and other parts the vaterra is much better built. Plus the ascender has an adjustable frame so you can change wheel base without buying links or anything so body swaps are muche easier.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have researched the Ascender. By the time you put metal suspension and steering links on an SCX10 along with all metal gears, you will spend roughly the same money. The Ascender comes with all that RTR and seems to be the better platform. The next truck I buy will be the Ascender RTR.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have thought about adding a Ascender to my fleet but have not due to the problems i have read about and the lack of aftermarket support. the K5 body on the ascender is very cool (have one on a scx10) but it is huge. If your planning on scale comps this is something to think about.

As for the scx10. Yes the RTR plastic links are flexible and will eventually need to be replaced. The aftermarket goodies are endless for the scx10. Then of course the Axial customer service is some of the best I have dealt with.

Spend some time reading in the specific sections on here. you will find a ton of information, pros and cons to each truck.

Good luck with your decision and most of all have fun with which ever one you end up with.
hotrodsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:23 AM   #5

Vaterra 2 SCX 0
Thanks guys, i go to see in person both tomorrow, i really apreciate your advice, im interested in a truck RTR with most versatile configuiration, i really like the option in the vaterra for change de wheelbase with out buy new links, here in Argentina is really expensive and rare to find this kind of parts, for that im thinking in the vaterra, came right out the box ready for crawling with no big modification.
Any other advice are welcome.
Guillermo
Old 11-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Don't get me wrong. I have an SCX10 and love it. In the end, I'd get both if I were you. Heck, get a Trailfinder 2 while you're at it. On a value per dollar basis, I think the Ascender is a better deal. Also, I think the RTR is a better value than the kit especially if you are a newbie and don't have a transmitter/reciever.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't upgrade until stuff breaks. I did upgrade to metal links on my SCX10 after the first day because bendy links bind things up. The Ascender doesn't appear to need many mods right off the bat.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Suck it up!

Ascender. Yes, there isn't much aftermarket support, but it's slowly growing. I've had mine since they came out and it is still stock (apart from the hd driveshafts and pinion gears, which now come standard), and I'm still perfectly happy with it. You don't need to throw several hundred more dollars at it to make it capable and dependable like you do a scx10.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Because of how popular the SCX10 is, given your location, you may be able to get replacement parts much easier than you can for the Ascender.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Currently do to aftermarket support I would go axial. I do like the ascender bronco and will most likely purchase one down the road. Most folks run axial and you could factor this into your decision. If you break on the trail or during a comp a replacement part would be easier to come by.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Currently do to aftermarket support I would go axial. I do like the ascender bronco and will most likely purchase one down the road. Most folks run axial and you could factor this into your decision. If you break on the trail or during a comp a replacement part would be easier to come by.
All the breaking that happens on the SCX10 doesn't happen on the Ascender. Weird, I know, but that has been my experience.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
All the breaking that happens on the SCX10 doesn't happen on the Ascender. Weird, I know, but that has been my experience.

^^^ That

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #12

At first, thanks a lot to all answers, really apreciated, this afternoon i go to see those in person, because the problems with parts or support, i think is more chance to choose de Axial, but i need to make a couple about that to vendor.
Tomorrow you know wich one is the winner!!!
Thanks again folks.
Guillermo
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Axial SCX Honcho or Vaterra Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10? goldcrow Newbie General 65 12-13-2016 10:45 PM
AXIAL SCX10 v's VATERRA ASCENDER K5 BLAZER TEST 2 TAFF1969 Scale Videos! 1 07-13-2015 08:19 PM
Vaterra ascender, Axial wraith spawn or Trailfinder 2? outdoorsmanjw Newbie General 5 04-03-2015 10:23 PM
Axial dingo vs Vaterra Ascender Tin Soldier Videos! 3 11-02-2014 03:19 PM