Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/10 Yeti question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Axial 1/10 Yeti question

Hello RCCrawlers,
newbie here w/ a question about the 1/10 Yeti RTR, i've seen videos if it bashing and jumping on youtube, however my question is this:

How well does it crawl?

I am researching a trail rig, something that can crawl and go faster when the terrain allows it.

I have seen some good videos of the Twin Hammers crawling, but not so much the yeti..

Thanks,
Q
q_at96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial 1/10 Yeti question

The Yeti with a full pan chassis and front IFS makes it a bit crawler challenged. It is a fun rig if you are mostly wanting to go fast.

If you want to do primary crawling and trail running I would go with either the Axial Wraith or the new Axial RR10. Not as fast as the yeti but more crawler capable.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The yeti is not designed to crawl, it's main purpose is all out bashing, I've crawlers and other rigs as well but my yeti is a blast for everything but crawling! Not to say that someone couldn't possibly build a yeti crawler but would be much easier to build a crawler from a basic crawler chassis.. there's a ton of chassis out there to choose from these days!
firstpasstommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Imthatguy did a kit build a while back with the sole intentions of making it a capable crawler that he could run Class 3 in a comp. He's got a thread with the whole build and even posted the results of the comp (it didn't fare too well). You can Check that out here; Imthatguy's Axial Yeti KIT Build

I've had my Yeti for a while, and while it can be a very capable rig, the only strength over the other trucks is speed, and high speed handling. The Wraith I own is much better at crawling and I believe the RR10 Bomber will be about par with that, given the solid front axles on those trucks. The Yeti has it's advantages with IFS, but crawling isn't it, it's the trade off of the 2 different designs.
kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:28 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

The RTR Yeti with its huge flat belly pan doesn't crawl well at all. Also out of the box it is nearly impossible to start out slow from a dead stop so it is hard to control over rocks. Installing the 2-speed trans and starting out in low gear helps with the low speed issue though.

As far as going faster, the out of the box suspension is way too soft. If you run 3S the motor and esc will get HOT!! The tires won't stay on the wheels. All of the weight is in the front so it doesn't jump very well either.

All of these are issues that can be dealt with to make it a fun basher that can be fun to take on a hike through the woods(well except the belly pan), but IMHO a crawler it is definitely not.
gman350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/10 Yeti question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
Yeti Located - Axial Yeti bashing eunique Scale Videos! 0 02-12-2015 08:42 AM
Yeti Located - Axial Yeti bashing eunique Scale Videos! 0 01-09-2015 02:10 AM